Question 5600XT BIOS flashed with mod from Red BIOS Editor, there is an issue

GaeDearg

Neuling
mine updates with 2.93 no problem but try the amdvbflash -unlockrom 0 1st
Nope, no matter which one I try, it can't communicate with the card bios chip. Already tried with: AMDflash 2.9 and Flash Tool 2.9+.
Only AMDflash 3.04 and Flash Tool 3.04+ would read and communicate with the card bios, but there's no way to flash using those ones as they spit SSID missmatch error with the MSI vbios.

3.png

Tradition

Mitglied
Nope, no matter which one I try, it can't communicate with the card bios chip. Already tried with: AMDflash 2.9 and Flash Tool 2.9+.
Only AMDflash 3.04 and Flash Tool 3.04+ would read and communicate with the card bios, but there's no way to flash using those ones as they spit SSID missmatch error with the MSI vbios.

Anhang anzeigen 6381
very odd my friend has a rx 5600xt BE and was able to do the flash with no problem

GaeDearg

Neuling
very odd my friend has a rx 5600xt BE and was able to do the flash with no problem
Nevermind, screw Windows. I just made an Ubuntu live usb, downloaded everything there and used patrick's AMD vbios utility for Linux (from here).
Worked like a charm, now I have the MSI vbios on the second BIOS chip of my Sapphire Pulse, will modify and experiment with it later tonight.

tuxen

Neuling
Hello world!
Been following all this for a while, and I visit Igor regularly . Finally registred, I am not german though and my last german class in school was over 30 years ago heh.

Anyway, I wanted to say; thank you for leading the way Tradition! Did this without issues a few days ago. :)
I will try change the sub vendor to Sapphire so stupid windows will not have a fit wanting me to re-register if I flip the switch between vendors while experimenting. Also Trixx will work, amd software sucks at creating new resolutions, and refuse to make a higher resolutions than the monitor you have connected at the time creating them even with vsr enabled. Trixx calculates the percentage and creates them for you, a bit lazy maybe but easier than switiching monitors and run calc.exe lol. Of cause the best way is if the game has resolution scale setting.

edit: oh perhaps I should say that I have a Sapphire pulse (the first one ie. non BE) and used amdvbflash 2.93

Zuletzt bearbeitet :

tuxen

Neuling
Also I should say I am not much of a gamer really. Hacking mostly hardware has been my main hobby all my life. :)
Enough introduction for now.

Tradition

Mitglied
Hello world!
Been following all this for a while, and I visit Igor regularly . Finally registred, I am not german though and my last german class in school was over 30 years ago heh.

Anyway, I wanted to say; thank you for leading the way Tradition! Did this without issues a few days ago. :)
I will try change the sub vendor to Sapphire so stupid windows will not have a fit wanting me to re-register if I flip the switch between vendors while experimenting. Also Trixx will work, amd software sucks at creating new resolutions, and refuse to make a higher resolutions than the monitor you have connected at the time creating them even with vsr enabled. Trixx calculates the percentage and creates them for you, a bit lazy maybe but easier than switiching monitors and run calc.exe lol. Of cause the best way is if the game has resolution scale setting.

edit: oh perhaps I should say that I have a Sapphire pulse (the first one ie. non BE) and used amdvbflash 2.93
you can change the subvendor with the RBE just use the same codes as your original bios should be fine however i think windows know when you have a different bios so it might still give you some trouble when switching between bioses but worth a shot

tuxen

Neuling
you can change the subvendor with the RBE just use the same codes as your original bios should be fine however i think windows know when you have a different bios so it might still give you some trouble when switching between bioses but worth a shot
Yeah, exactly what I was thinking. And you might be right on the windows part, the same thing came to mind. :) We will see, I will try later tonight when I have some more time.
Best regards.

misher

Neuling
My findings for the 5600xt THIC II are that this process does not work for some 5600's as I can see in some of the comments. I've seen some speculation around the net that the bios file is split into 2 with the switch so when you mod it its a 1024 size file that should be 512. However, the saved original bios at 1024 can be flashed back onto the card to fix it. The bios on the XFX website is a 512 file and if you change it from .W8 to .bios you can open it in Red Bios. Editing it weirdly makes it stop working. I also tried changing the end to .W8 and still didn't work. So I don't believe its a problem with the size of the file. I've seen someone state online that editing the bios adds a # at the end somewhere and then it fails a check. Even without bios modding the 5600xt I can barely get to 43. Was hoping to get to 46 with modding :( A lot of potential for this card since I only need one 8 pin instead of 2 (like the 5700) which saves me some effort+cost. Also it puts out a lot less heat. Even without the bios mod I'm setting up a rig of 11.

Oben Unten