Question 5600XT BIOS flashed with mod from Red BIOS Editor, there is an issue

ricardo

Neuling
Bewertungspunkte
Hello and thank you for everything. Currently, I have a 5600XT in which I have flashed the modified bios by Red BIOS Editor. However, the BIOS did not work, the system hangs during POST. This is no problem, I am used to flashing BIOS with SPI Programmer CH341a, I am free to test anything.

I think maybe this did not work due to the fact that my card is dual BIOS, and when I read the BIOS from the memory chip, it comes out with 1024kb, rather than the 512kb saved from GPU-Z. When I try to open this extracted BIOS with RBE, it modifies fine, but does not save by stating "An unknown error occurred when accessing (filename path). This is not a permission issue, I am running admin. It works fine to save the file when I use the GPUz extracted rom. However, even with the 512KB file, it does not work to post the card.

I have tried several things, the last one was to make only a very small change on the GFX Maximum Clock to 1900MHz. It still does not work. I originally made a BIOS with a lot more changes and limits, such as 2100, 1000 memory, more power, voltage, etc, etc. but decided to make a small alteration to see if it would work-- unfortunately it doesn't.

I have also tried to open in HxD the original long file 1024kb and noticed it makes no difference, because after 000FFFF0 it is only 0's anyway. Also, in HxD, I have tried to open the original stock BIOS and overwrite the part, leaving the correct file size, but this also did not work to POST. Stock BIOS still works fine when re-flashed, card is perfect.

So, I am leaving a link to my files, to see if we can figure out why the modified BIOS is not working on my 5600XT.
Here is the URL: http://xonedigital.com/BIOS_etc.zip
on this ZIP file, there are the following:
1 - 5600xt1_gpuz.rom (Original BIOS from the card extracted with GPU-Z)
2 - 5600xt-stock_extract.rom (This is the BIOS file extracted from the Chip with SPI Programmer, it loads on RBE, but fails to save)
3 - mpt-1900_only.mpt (This is an example of a small change I tried to see if it would work, only changing maximum clock to 1900mhz)
4 - 1900-ONLY-BIOS1.rom (This is the final outcome of RED BIOS EDITOR using the GPU-Z BIOS with the MorePowerTool settings of 1900mhz)

I hope this helps, thank you so much for all your work again and let me know if anything else is needed. I am really looking forward to free up the power of this 5600XT :)

Thanks again!

mine updates with 2.93 no problem but try the amdvbflash -unlockrom 0 1st
Nope, no matter which one I try, it can't communicate with the card bios chip. Already tried with: AMDflash 2.9 and Flash Tool 2.9+.
Only AMDflash 3.04 and Flash Tool 3.04+ would read and communicate with the card bios, but there's no way to flash using those ones as they spit SSID missmatch error with the MSI vbios.

3.png

Nope, no matter which one I try, it can't communicate with the card bios chip. Already tried with: AMDflash 2.9 and Flash Tool 2.9+.
Only AMDflash 3.04 and Flash Tool 3.04+ would read and communicate with the card bios, but there's no way to flash using those ones as they spit SSID missmatch error with the MSI vbios.

Anhang anzeigen 6381
very odd my friend has a rx 5600xt BE and was able to do the flash with no problem

very odd my friend has a rx 5600xt BE and was able to do the flash with no problem
Nevermind, screw Windows. I just made an Ubuntu live usb, downloaded everything there and used patrick's AMD vbios utility for Linux (from here).
Worked like a charm, now I have the MSI vbios on the second BIOS chip of my Sapphire Pulse, will modify and experiment with it later tonight.

Nevermind, screw Windows. I just made an Ubuntu live usb, downloaded everything there and used patrick's AMD vbios utility for Linux (from here).
Worked like a charm, now I have the MSI vbios on the second BIOS chip of my Sapphire Pulse, will modify and experiment with it later tonight.
haha welldone man happy overclocking

Hello world!
Been following all this for a while, and I visit Igor regularly . Finally registred, I am not german though and my last german class in school was over 30 years ago heh.

Anyway, I wanted to say; thank you for leading the way Tradition! Did this without issues a few days ago. :)
I will try change the sub vendor to Sapphire so stupid windows will not have a fit wanting me to re-register if I flip the switch between vendors while experimenting. Also Trixx will work, amd software sucks at creating new resolutions, and refuse to make a higher resolutions than the monitor you have connected at the time creating them even with vsr enabled. Trixx calculates the percentage and creates them for you, a bit lazy maybe but easier than switiching monitors and run calc.exe lol. Of cause the best way is if the game has resolution scale setting.

edit: oh perhaps I should say that I have a Sapphire pulse (the first one ie. non BE) and used amdvbflash 2.93

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Also I should say I am not much of a gamer really. Hacking mostly hardware has been my main hobby all my life. :)
Enough introduction for now.

Hello world!
Been following all this for a while, and I visit Igor regularly . Finally registred, I am not german though and my last german class in school was over 30 years ago heh.

Anyway, I wanted to say; thank you for leading the way Tradition! Did this without issues a few days ago. :)
I will try change the sub vendor to Sapphire so stupid windows will not have a fit wanting me to re-register if I flip the switch between vendors while experimenting. Also Trixx will work, amd software sucks at creating new resolutions, and refuse to make a higher resolutions than the monitor you have connected at the time creating them even with vsr enabled. Trixx calculates the percentage and creates them for you, a bit lazy maybe but easier than switiching monitors and run calc.exe lol. Of cause the best way is if the game has resolution scale setting.

edit: oh perhaps I should say that I have a Sapphire pulse (the first one ie. non BE) and used amdvbflash 2.93
you can change the subvendor with the RBE just use the same codes as your original bios should be fine however i think windows know when you have a different bios so it might still give you some trouble when switching between bioses but worth a shot

you can change the subvendor with the RBE just use the same codes as your original bios should be fine however i think windows know when you have a different bios so it might still give you some trouble when switching between bioses but worth a shot
Yeah, exactly what I was thinking. And you might be right on the windows part, the same thing came to mind. :) We will see, I will try later tonight when I have some more time.
Best regards.

My findings for the 5600xt THIC II are that this process does not work for some 5600's as I can see in some of the comments. I've seen some speculation around the net that the bios file is split into 2 with the switch so when you mod it its a 1024 size file that should be 512. However, the saved original bios at 1024 can be flashed back onto the card to fix it. The bios on the XFX website is a 512 file and if you change it from .W8 to .bios you can open it in Red Bios. Editing it weirdly makes it stop working. I also tried changing the end to .W8 and still didn't work. So I don't believe its a problem with the size of the file. I've seen someone state online that editing the bios adds a # at the end somewhere and then it fails a check. Even without bios modding the 5600xt I can barely get to 43. Was hoping to get to 46 with modding :( A lot of potential for this card since I only need one 8 pin instead of 2 (like the 5700) which saves me some effort+cost. Also it puts out a lot less heat. Even without the bios mod I'm setting up a rig of 11.

Hello everyone, my adventure here brings my experience with the Asus TUF RX5600XT.
Unfortunately, with the RedPanda bios I was unable boot into Windows, the problem of this card is that it doesn't have dual bios, so I had to recover it using a second card in order to re-flash the stock bios on it.

Just to keep things clear, I've tested the MSI stock bios according to the instructions of the tutorial and it just didn't boot (I've followed everything), using the amd flash tool (2.93) for the MSI stock one, and then the 3.04 for the "unlocked" one.

Any clue on what to do from here?

Yeah, I looked up your card a few days ago along with the bios and it seems to have the same timings etc as others that do work.
Sorry for not responding, but as you; I can not really figure why it would happen either. :(

The method is correct. It seems to flash ok.. Hmm..
Anyway, I will keep this in the back of my head, and write if I stumple upon any ideas.

Best regards

Hello all. I have been eagerly following this thread for many weeks now, and am excited that a few of you have figured out a way to flash the RX 5600 XT bios with an increased core clock boost speed.

It appears that so far, all of you that have successfully flashed a modded bios, have done so on a dual-bios card. I have a Gigabyte RX 5600 XT Gaming OC 6G (Revision 1.0), which is a single-bios model.

Just so I am following the thread correctly, was it the RedPanda bios itself that enabled yall to flash, was it a certain modification to the bios itself, was it the procedure of flashing, or a combination of some/all of the above?

I would ~love~ to modify the bios of my 5600 XT, and I do have the means to recover from a botched flash, I'm only looking for clarity before I give the process a try.

Thank you all for the work you do!

*edit*

I did it! TL;DR: RBE the RedPanda firmware with your values, save as a 5700XT, Flash it, uninstall drivers, reboot, DDU, reboot, ????, Profit :D

Time will tell if I need to do more for stability, but I'm VERY excited to have done this. My gpu core was stable at max default clocks, at .965V, so it has headroom for days. I'll update this post with more later on!

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Hello all. I have been eagerly following this thread for many weeks now, and am excited that a few of you have figured out a way to flash the RX 5600 XT bios with an increased core clock boost speed.

It appears that so far, all of you that have successfully flashed a modded bios, have done so on a dual-bios card. I have a Gigabyte RX 5600 XT Gaming OC 6G (Revision 1.0), which is a single-bios model.

Just so I am following the thread correctly, was it the RedPanda bios itself that enabled yall to flash, was it a certain modification to the bios itself, was it the procedure of flashing, or a combination of some/all of the above?

I would ~love~ to modify the bios of my 5600 XT, and I do have the means to recover from a botched flash, I'm only looking for clarity before I give the process a try.

Thank you all for the work you do!

*edit*

I did it! TL;DR: RBE the RedPanda firmware with your values, save as a 5700XT, Flash it, uninstall drivers, reboot, DDU, reboot, ????, Profit :D

Time will tell if I need to do more for stability, but I'm VERY excited to have done this. My gpu core was stable at max default clocks, at .965V, so it has headroom for days. I'll update this post with more later on!
But you were able to flash the msi stock?

But you were able to flash the msi stock?

At the point I got it working last night, I had JUST found the reddit threads that had instructions in them, and did not flash the stock MSI bios to my card, myself. I am not sure of the ramifications that missing that step will have, but I have all day today to experiment with it.

*edit* For a data point, the two versions of amdvbflash that worked for me, were the version that was downloaded along with the RedPanda bios (a modified 3.04+ named "amdvbflash_windows.zip"), and amdvbflash 2.93+ from Igor's Lab's download link.

I -did- try to flash a modified stock bios for my own card (Gigabyte's F61 for the RX 5600 XT Gaming OC 6G) and soft-bricked the card, but after a quick round of musical GPU's, the stock F61 flashed right back and things were fine.

Despite the soft brick, I will try to contact the author of the MSI bios and see what they did to circumvent the signature check. I'd LOVE to have a modified Gigabyte F61 bios on my card. I say this, because I fear the MSI bios will not be stable in the long run, as unfortunately Gigabyte's RX 5600 XT's were some of the most 'janky' where green/black screens and crashes were concerned (during the months following the card's release). The F61 bios is the ONLY bios that has run my card stable, and mercifully, that stability has been rock solid.

Hi there,
As far as I know the first bios is an old MSI with no cert. You flash it first to give your card the new sub-vendor, that is why you need to force flash it with the -f parameter. After that you can use amdvbflash 3.04+ to bypass signature check, v3.04+ does not have the -f switch hence the first flash with v2.93. As you I also found out you can use v2.93+ (5700/5700xt only version) to just flash the second bios, it will have no ramifications that you did not flash it per tutorial. In short the + versions is what lets you bypass signature.

I think the micronunlocked.rom is the same 5600xt stock rom saved as 5700xt and with a modified mpt, RBE sees it as 5700xt I am not sure that
is all though, I have not gone futher into this and I do not know if it is really worth it. Maybe someday.

What I do to modify the mpt is load the above rom in morepowertool tweak my settings and save the .mpt file, after that I apply the .mpt file to the same rom in redbioseditor and then save as a new rom file. This rom file can then be flashed again with v3.04+ to bypass signature and no need to force.

The bios supplied in the thread has power set at 240W, 240A, 18A, and it is not fake as suggested! Although you can make the card run at ~2100mhz and 99% GPU load in one game with 150w load, another game might push it much harder exceeding 220W+ at lower gpu MHz expecially if you also move the power slider in wattman/afterburner that now can add 50% more! Remember the 5700xt has an additional 6pin pin power connector, trust me I tested this and the amps are way to high (even for a real 5700xt).

I suggest you use morepowertool, and redbioseditor to create a derrived bios as described above, and setting the power around:

Power limit GPU: 190 W
TDC limit GFX: 170 A
TDC limit SOC: 14 A
In return I raised the gpu overdrive to 2150mhz.

I can reach "stock" 1925mhz without touching anything except the gpu power (1025mv) with the above settings, if I want to reach 2150mhz I give the gpu a little move voltage (1100mv) and move the power slider to around +5-10% if needed. It will still reach 200W but now much more controlled. Also the chip is not as power hungry as a real XT so this seems to work fine. (for me at least)

Another thing you should do is adjust adjust the fan settings as these vary in number and settings from manufactor to manufactor, you can get an idea by loading your GB bios and take a look, then setting them a bit higher or loading the most equal gigabyte 5700xt and take a look there for some guidiance. The max RPM's should match your GB though to my logic, unless the max overdrive rpm is higher.

Btw. switcing sub vendor id to your own brand will not work, v2.93 will give you certificate mismatch, and v3.04 as said have no -f parameter. 2.93+ will work but gpu-z and windows will still see it as MSI card.

Hope this helps a little.
Best regards. (sorry for the edits, I always find errors and I am not native or English for that matter lol)

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Thank you for the thorough post, tuxen!

I personally never used the 'old' stock MSI bios, so I'm not sure at what point in my steps made it work for my Gigabyte card. I think I finally got to the "I'm going for it" point and just flashed the (unmodified by me) RedPanda bios directly to my card. It has worked ever since.

Excellent points on the power and TDC limits, though!

The stuff below is for information only purposes for anyone else that wishes to try the mod. I am one person, and I was pretty conservative with my numbers. My card may act differently than yours, so use this as the data point that it is, not necessarily as a guide

The Gigabyte (and I believe the reference design) 5600 XT's have only 5 VRM's feeding the GPU core. I WOULD NOT set the power limit higher than 200W. Any higher than that, and you are pushing your luck, both with the 150W+75W PCIe+Mainboard power ratings, and the VRM mosfet chip ratings (likely 40A/50A Sustained/Peak chips similar to other GPU's and modern mainboards. I'm still looking for the model # of Gigabyte's VRM mosfet chips without pulling my own card apart). Appropriate VRM cooling and a good power supply should make 190W okay to run 24/7.

Watch your VRM temps, if they're over 85C, I would either increase cooling or decrease gpu current draw.

I did the following to the RedPanda bios once I was able to successfully flash:
- GFX Frequency/Overdrive clock limits to: 2100/2125
- Power Limit Maximum % to: 30%
- Power limit to: 200W
- GFX TDC to: 192A (200W at 1.045V)
- SOC TDC to: 15A
- Copied fan settings from/to the "Overdrive Limits" tab and "Fan" tab from my Gigabyte bios, to the MSI modded bios.

I then opened bios F61 for Gigabyte in RBE and copied all 7 memory timing strings to notepad (ensuring each one was correct), then pasted those timing strings into RBE to be integrated into my modified RedPanda bios.

So far so good. AMD Adrenalin settings are as follows:
- 2026MHZ, 1040mV
- VRAM at 1850MHz (no change, this was stable on F61 stock bios)
- Reasonably generous fan curve. The Gigabyte 3-fan longboi gets noisy 3800-4900RPM. Good case flow will save yall, here.

**Edit 2: I'm running Radeon Adrenalin 20.5.1 HWS to take advantage of Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling, or HAGS / HWS

I ran the card for 30 minutes each in Heaven and Furmark until I found stability at a clock speed that didn't require a ton of voltage. Clock speeds in game settle in at ~1970MHz in Heaven, Furmark, Superposition, and Deep Rock Galactic. Deep Rock Galactic on a 1440p155 panel was stable with OBS recording in the background for 2.5hr last night. I'll give other games a test today and report back in this post.

**Edit 3: The card did 4 total hours of Deep Rock Galactic and about 2 hours of various indy titles over the course of Saturday; will give it a couple-hour run in Sea of Thieves today.

**Edit 4: 3.5 hours of Sea of Thieves with OBS recording via AMF in the background, and things were just fine. I'm calling it "Stable, for now..." Time will tell if it holds up in the long run.

**Edited for clarity regarding VRM's

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Thank you for the thorough post, tuxen!

I personally never used the 'old' stock MSI bios, so I'm not sure at what point in my steps made it work for my Gigabyte card. I think I finally got to the "I'm going for it" point and just flashed the (unmodified by me) RedPanda bios directly to my card. It has worked ever since.

Excellent points on the power and TDC limits, though!

The Gigabyte (and I believe the reference design) 5600 XT's have only 5 VRM's feeding the GPU core. I WOULD NOT set the power limit higher than 200W. Any higher than that, and you are pushing your luck, both with the 150W+75W PCIe+Mainboard power ratings, and the VRM mosfet chip ratings (likely 40A/50A Sustained/Peak chips similar to other GPU's and modern mainboards. I'm still looking for the model # of Gigabyte's VRM mosfet chips without pulling my own card apart). Appropriate VRM cooling and a good power supply should make 190W okay to run 24/7.

Watch your VRM temps, if they're over 85C, I would either increase cooling or decrease gpu current draw.

I did the following to the RedPanda bios once I was able to successfully flash:
- GFX Frequency/Overdrive clock limits to: 2100/2125
- Power Limit Maximum % to: 30%
- Power limit to: 200W
- GFX TDC to: 192A (200W at 1.045V)
- SOC TDC to: 15A
- Copied fan settings from/to the "Overdrive Limits" tab and "Fan" tab from my Gigabyte bios, to the MSI modded bios.

I then opened bios F61 for Gigabyte in RBE and copied all 7 memory timing strings to notepad (ensuring each one was correct), then pasted those timing strings into RBE to be integrated into my modified RedPanda bios.

So far so good. AMD Adrenalin settings are as follows:
- 2026MHZ, 1040mV
- VRAM at 1850MHz (no change, this was stable on F61 stock bios)
- Reasonably generous fan curve. The Gigabyte 3-fan longboi gets noisy 3800-4900RPM. Good case flow will save yall, here.

**Edit 2: I'm running Radeon Adrenalin 20.5.1 HWS to take advantage of Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling, or HAGS / HWS

I ran the card for 30 minutes each in Heaven and Furmark until I found stability at a clock speed that didn't require a ton of voltage. Clock speeds in game settle in at ~1970MHz in Heaven, Furmark, Superposition, and Deep Rock Galactic. Deep Rock Galactic on a 1440p155 panel was stable with OBS recording in the background for 2.5hr last night. I'll give other games a test today and report back in this post.

**Edit 3: The card did 4 total hours of Deep Rock Galactic and about 2 hours of various indy titles over the course of Saturday; will give it a couple-hour run in Sea of Thieves today.

**Edited for clarity regarding VRM's

Glad you could use some of it, I am not expert at all but only tinkered around with this for a while. Never really "hacked" a gfx card. Been working with large computer installations but been away from it all for quite some years because of a sudden health issue. Anyway long story and not really something that can add to the topic.

Am I wrong seeing that the real Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC bios have the power set lower:
This is the highest on techpowerup's db, but then again there are 3 with the same version number, at first I thought it was dual bios, but remembered you said the 5600 XT is not, Idk. :)

4900pm waow, I have a Sapphire Pulse first version it only goes to 3200rpm with 2 fan's it does seem massively over-engineered though.
If I set 2150MHz (1100mv) +8% extra power it settles at around 2100Mhz in Heaven spiking at 204W I have tryid let it sit for hours and it's stable with ~65c GPU temp, and ~85 at junction point, with not much noise and no melting wires (another story from really test pushing the bios that came in the rar with a unprotected PSU I had laying around lol). Unfourtunatly I have no temp measurement points at the vrm's, and yeah I have 5 too.

My memory can go to 1950MHz but I just run it at 1820 or 1850 the extra heat and what else that can come with it over time is not worth it. I see the same results in games like Metro Exodus, A plague's tale, and other intensive games, other games like Forza 4 Horizon with everything set to ultra/extreme will run at 2120MHz at ~1025mv with no extra power and only drawing 150W. Guess it is well optimized or not taking advantage of everything. Found out AMD drivers is faster for anything but DX11 comparing to Nvidia. RIS does not work in DX11 either, read somewhere that AMD would focus on DX12 first in their drivers. Which makes sense at least for the RDNA-x architecture.

I DO however only have a freesync monitor that goes to 75Hz, so I cap the framerate at 72fps, which basically sets everything back to a little above stock lol, but it does help smoothing things out when it gets rough. I also do not game that much (some related to what I wrote in the begining), but when I do it is usually for a few hours or 5 heh. I also have a middle profile, just like you. :)

Always I like making things do stuff that it should not, it pretty much applies to everything. But electronics mostly hardware have always been my hobby in general. And that there is headroom for ~300Mhz overclock is crazy amazing considering AMD came out with a new bios at launch.

I think I am just ranting a novelle now heh.

Oh BTW: GPU Scheduling, saw the beta drivers, only briefly reading here and there and thought it was nothing but trouble atm.
What is your experience?

EDIT: made a few edits.
EDIT2; igor has a article about undervolting the 5700XT. Again nothing you can use directly and a bit old, but it is worth a read.

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Oben Unten