Question GIGABYTE 5700 XT Bios mod fails

AlleyCat

Veteran
Bewertungspunkte
Hi,
I am failing to update Gigabyte 5700 XT. The same procedure updates the BIOS on MSI cards with no problem. I follow the instructions on Igors Lab.

The sign of having trouble with the card bios flash shows in GPU-Z. After flash using amdvbflash the values of GPU and memory frequencies is empty. With stock bios there are Mhz frequencies.

Is there any known problems with flashing Gigabyte cards?
Any suggestions on what other forums I may ask for assistance?
Is it possible that the OEM bios is signed, and any modified bios will be rejected?
If the bios is signed, any tools to resign, or would I need to buy a card from a different vendor?

Thanks,

Alley Cat

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Thanks @AlleyCat @Mini_Me!
only for the GPU9 or for all GPU? because the restart not always is the same GPU, sometime GPU9, other times GPU1 or 2, or 4.
I have changed the miner to PhoenixMiner, and the Rig has an uptime of 2 hours without restarting :)
Yes for all gpu, however I would recommend TeamRedMiner instead of PhoenixMiner if the problem continues to occur.

How did you guys make Teamredminer work?

I can't make it work on either of my rigs, on one it won't connect to the pool, on the other it won't even start.

[Updated]
Please, use the official Gigabyte bios with its own flashtool in the kindly attached link below to reflash and fix any bricked Gigabyte RX 5700/5700 XT GAMING card:

One can download other vbios for other Gigabyte cards from official Gigabyte site however only the UK, Russian and Taiwan ones, below for Gigabyte UK official site,

This bios is modifiable as well by changing the R57XTGAMING-OC-8GD.BIN in the BIOS folder after extraction to R57XTGAMING-OC-8GD.ROM,

Please note:
You can only update the VBIOS of the same series. This BIOS flashing requires Visual C++2008.
How to update the BIOS of your graphics card ?
- By Windows (only for Gigabyte RX 5700 XT GAMING OC):
1. Extract the downloaded GV-R57XTGAMING-OC-8GD-FA0.zip below.
2. Boot to Windows Safe Mode and execute GV-R57XTGAMING-OC-8GD.exe as an Administrative.
3. Click StratFlash.
4. Wait for the update to complete and reboot.

- By FreeDOS (for all Gigabyte RX 5700/5700 XT GAMING):
1. First disable secure boot in bios settings and download the amdvbflash 3.04+ from the link below,

And extract it to a bootable usb flash drive (please use Rufus program to make one) without putting them inside a folder, the USB flash drive must be connected to a USB 2.0 port,

2- Reboot and press f12 until a boot list appear and choose the bootable usb flash drive,

3- Now enter these commands:

amdvbflash.exe -i
Press Enter

It will show you the gpu adapters list occupying the pcie slots for an example if there is only one gpu then its adapter number will be 0.
###########
amdvbflash.exe -unlockrom 0
Press Enter

It will unlock the gpu chip for flashing if it is locked.
###########
amdvbflash.exe -s 0 chooseAname.rom
Press Enter

To make a backup of the gpu bios if needed.
###########
amdvbflash.exe -p 0 ModedBiosName.rom
Press Enter

To flash the modified bios.
###########
Why can't the BIOS of my graphics card be updated to the latest version on the website ?
GIGABYTE graphics cards have different BIOS series under the same model name. Generally speaking, the BIOS versions of Gigabyte graphics cards belong to the same series from F1 to F9, and from F11 to F19 are also belong to the same series, and so on. Therefore, if the BIOS version of your graphics card is F3 and F4/F10 is available on the website, the BIOS of your graphics card will be updated to F4 instead of F10.
I have followed your guide and it worked well, but my I am unable to unlock my memory to allow me to try clocks over 1900. Anyone know the trick? I've changed the max mem setting in more power tools but wattman and afterburner and manually setting it in Phoenix, all stop at 1900

You are not telling us what is your configuration and what’s not working.
why u let ur cards memory reach 90c+ i think it will make Leaking So Much Oil and ur card will be damaged @Mini_Me right ?
last summer i was caring about fan speed coz i was afraid it damage from high speed and doesn't care about mem temp ..
i faced small amount of oil on my cards .. now i care about mem only

Hi @Mini_Me,

I am testing your recommendation in my environment, I am using the M vbios version that you share with us.
with this settings that you recommend works great in a rig with 1xGPU:

Anhang anzeigen 8018

But in a Rig with 11xGPU it produce some TRM restarts, so I have tried to reduce the Mem clock to 910, but it produce restart too. My rig is stable with this settings: Core 1350Mhz, VDD 750mV, Mem 900Mhz

I have tried this settings:
Anhang anzeigen 8023

but produce this errors:
Anhang anzeigen 8022
Anhang anzeigen 8024
Anhang anzeigen 8025

Do you recommend making any changes?

thanks and regards!
I believe your rig is in need of a proper ventilation.

Yes for all gpu, however I would recommend TeamRedMiner instead of PhoenixMiner if the problem continues to occur.
Hi @Mini_Me,
with PhoenixMiner works well, 18hs up and running 1607007374897.png

but I notice that if I use this OC/UV profile the fans are running very high, instead if I use Core: 1350Mhz, 750mV, Memory: 900Mhz
this is the stats with the lower OC profile:
1607007760331.png

Hi @Mini_Me,
with PhoenixMiner works well, 18hs up and running Anhang anzeigen 8071

but I notice that if I use this OC/UV profile the fans are running very high, instead if I use Core: 1350Mhz, 750mV, Memory: 900Mhz
this is the stats with the lower OC profile:
Anhang anzeigen 8072
You mean the memory profiles below,

Memory clock, VDDCI, MVDD
- (900 to 910) MHz (preferred 905 MHz), 780 mV, 1310 mV (preferred 1350 mV),
- (915 to 955) MHz (preferred 930 MHz), 850 mV, 1350 mV.

The PhoenixMiner kernel is aggressive and fishy, that is why I recommended the TeamRedMiner as it is specifically optimized for mining AMD cards.
Thank you! so I'm going to do some tests with TRM, to try to obtain stability, thank you so much for your help ;)

Thank you very much for your kind and quick update,

This is really a wonderful news, I am working on a couple of very interesting vbios, if it is a success we may have a better power to performance ratio,

The only thing remains is mentioned in the post that I sent to elvena above, please check it out.

If you obtain a M version of the BIOS to obtain a better power o performance, please share it with us :)

thanks!

I tried to use M version of the bios - so in HiveOS result is about 20W less power, but on the wall difference is only about 2W for card.

Fyi the ROG Strix 5700XT (ROG-STRIX-RX5700XT-08-GAMING) is not happy using apple straps / power table. HiveOS logs the fun errors on boot and it will not hash in phoenix miner. Trying option 2 next.

Fyi the ROG Strix 5700XT (ROG-STRIX-RX5700XT-08-GAMING) is not happy using apple straps / power table. HiveOS logs the fun errors on boot and it will not hash in phoenix miner. Trying option 2 next.
Greetings and welcome,

Please double check that the Apple vram timings were applied correctly as sometimes the unexpected happen.

THANK YOU Mini_Me
Finally, after 10 days flashing and testing, finally managed to fine tune my Gigabyte (GV-R57XTGAMING OC-8GD/FA0/096C V2.0 )
I started with 125W ( smos reading) and 1000w from the wall @ 55 mhs
Now it is ~100w, 850 from wall, and 56-57 mhs
Im testing it for more now :)

THANK YOU

THANK YOU Mini_Me
Finally, after 10 days flashing and testing, finally managed to fine tune my Gigabyte (GV-R57XTGAMING OC-8GD/FA0/096C V2.0 )
I started with 125W ( smos reading) and 1000w from the wall @ 55 mhs
Now it is ~100w, 850 from wall, and 56-57 mhs
Im testing it for more now :)

THANK YOU
You are very welcome.

@boki019 @Mini_Me

I too have the GV-R57XTGAMING OC-8GD/FA0/096C V2.0 and have been able to flash it successfully using the bios from V1 that was posted earlier in this thread. My process was to download the V1 bios and flash using the EXE, then save the bios off the card and edit that file with the settings you recommended @Mini_Me. The problem I am having is that it appears to be using significantly more power that the V2 bios and even at 750mv I show the card using over 135 watts...The original bios was at about 100 for 750mv...What am I doing wrong? I even copied all the settings from the original V2 bios to the V1 file I updated and still have the power difference happening. Any help would be much appreciated.

Just thought of something, should I be able to flash an edited V2 file after the V1 bios is installed?

Oben Unten