Question GIGABYTE 5700 XT Bios mod fails

AlleyCat

Veteran
Bewertungspunkte
Hi,
I am failing to update Gigabyte 5700 XT. The same procedure updates the BIOS on MSI cards with no problem. I follow the instructions on Igors Lab.

The sign of having trouble with the card bios flash shows in GPU-Z. After flash using amdvbflash the values of GPU and memory frequencies is empty. With stock bios there are Mhz frequencies.

Is there any known problems with flashing Gigabyte cards?
Any suggestions on what other forums I may ask for assistance?
Is it possible that the OEM bios is signed, and any modified bios will be rejected?
If the bios is signed, any tools to resign, or would I need to buy a card from a different vendor?

Thanks,

Alley Cat

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Hi @Mine_Me,
I have tested the M version, and it is working :) without change the Partition to MBR :)

Anhang anzeigen 7995

my partition is GPT (created with Etcher):
Anhang anzeigen 7996

and I have upload it from HiveOS, and it work well:
Anhang anzeigen 7998

I have verify the memory timings with Red BIOS Editor, but it doesn't have the same value from 1550 to 2000Mhz, like is mention on steps to do the BIOS mod, do you recommend maintain as you sent it or edit something?:

Anhang anzeigen 7997

additional I have verify the memory timing with the Original BIOS download from 5700 XT Gaming OC Rev2 and it are differents. but it is work :)

tell me if you need some additional test

regards
Thank you very much for your kind and quick update,

This is really a wonderful news, I am working on a couple of very interesting vbios, if it is a success we may have a better power to performance ratio,

The only thing remains is mentioned in the post that I sent to elvena above, please check it out.

A question dear Mini_Me, I'm able to lower the consumption a bit:
1606868088786.png

But I'm going almost to 1.9 ratio!... is this safe? The only drawbacks are heat/instability or physical issues may arise ? Same question actually goes to 845/1350 on the memory.

I would love to hear your feedback on this, thank you in advance.

Capture.PNG

My MSI RX5700XT Mech OC rig is a little difficult to run with stability. I would keep getting crashes every now, kept on trying different settings to see which works. Now im only just looking for stability, at least the rig can operate for 24hrs. It was running okay for awhile for few hours then crashes.

I don't trust 100% the reliability of HiveOS to flash bios. Is it possible to flash the bios on Win10 with amdvbflash 3.04+, running as administrator?

I am suggesting this to eliminate the variable of HiveOS programming a new card. Once the bios is loaded and running, the HiveOS is a great tool to manage and store bios for multiple cards.
A BIG RED FLAG ON HIVEOS BIOS FLASHING FROM ME ALSO!!!!

I have horrible experiences with hiveos flashing. Bricked my card every single time I have tried that. Luckily I was able to save all of them.
In my experience, by far the most stable (worked 100% of time for me) is flashing in windows safe mode with command prompt.

Excellent Mini_Me! Apologies of my lazy original reply. I myself use Kolink Continuum PSU which is "designed" for mining. It should be extremely good option of mining rigs as it is platinum and has numerous safety features. And its way more cheaper than EVGA PSU's (which are the best quality options for mining PSU's)
Greetings and welcome back,

That is a very good news that you read the post as I was worried that you may have chosen insufficient power supply as you did not know about the power reduction by the power factor,

I am glad that you now have enough knowledge about choosing the proper power supply as the is really a very important and a critical unit and it considered the heart of the system,

You may have a good day dear,

Best Regards.

A BIG RED FLAG ON HIVEOS BIOS FLASHING FROM ME ALSO!!!!

I have horrible experiences with hiveos flashing. Bricked my card every single time I have tried that. Luckily I was able to save all of them.
In my experience, by far the most stable (worked 100% of time for me) is flashing in windows safe mode with command prompt.
If it possible to update the flash tool inside HiveOS then I highly recommend this one in the kindly attached link below,

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
A question dear Mini_Me, I'm able to lower the consumption a bit:
Anhang anzeigen 8006

But I'm going almost to 1.9 ratio!... is this safe? The only drawbacks are heat/instability or physical issues may arise ? Same question actually goes to 845/1350 on the memory.

I would love to hear your feedback on this, thank you in advance.
I would highly recommend to keep the ratio between core clock and VDD at least 1.8 becuse more than this a negative curve will apply which means by percentage the performance will decrease and the temperature will increase and instability may occur,

I heard recently that due to the memory limited binning and active pins of both memory types K4Z80325BC-14 and MT61K256M32-14 as these speed capped at 14 GB/s, the recommended minimum value of VDDCI 850 mV and MVDD 1310 mV is for memory clock at 875 MHz and below, that is why when gaming even a little bit of increase in memory clock the pc with crash on long session of a couple of hours continuous running at decent load,

For memory clock more than 875 MHz until 950 MHz, the recommended values are VDDCI 950 mV and MVDD 1350 mV,

Therefore, the sweet for performance is 935 MHz minus 5 MHz to avoid overshoot that means 930 MHz is the best for a balanced ratio between performance and power, and 905 MHz is best for more power saving,

I recommend for you to use these settings below,

Core clock, VDD,
1420 MHz, 790 mV

Memory clock, VDDCI, MVDD,
930 MHz, 950 mV, 1350 mV

And to provide enough air cycling to your system, a cheap stand or wall 16" fan proven to be better than nothing.

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Anhang anzeigen 8007

My MSI RX5700XT Mech OC rig is a little difficult to run with stability. I would keep getting crashes every now, kept on trying different settings to see which works. Now im only just looking for stability, at least the rig can operate for 24hrs. It was running okay for awhile for few hours then crashes.
Greetings and welcome,

Dear kush, your setting is not recommended, please use the settings in the post above.

hello. i have ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 5700 EVO OC edition 8GB GDDR6. and uploadet xt bios on it whit apple inc straps. and wonder if you have some input on best settings in hiveos for make it run stable clock 24/7
Greetings and welcome,

My apologies for the late reply,

please use the settings in the kindly attached link below which is in the post above,

You may have a good day,

Regards.

Hello. Thanks for the reply.

As soon as the cards arrive I will follow these steps.
I think I should do the whole process on windows and only after having completed the flash connect to the rig.

Red Devil has 02 BIOS, from what I read in the topic I should use the BIOS Silent to make the mod, right?
I have already made several notes on the vmem / vcore / frequencies config for HIVEOS, I will have to experiment.

Unfortunately I do not have the hardware to mount a second rig, I will have to make a mix. I found a few reports on the HIVEOS forum that would work well with miners that simultaneously support drivers for POLARIS and NAVI, such as the phoenixminer that is my favorite for stability / performance.
As I get the chance, I will replace the old cards with new ones, but for now this is not possible.

Thank you very much again for your help.
I'm going to have a fun job at the weekend. :)
Greetings to all.
great work.

My personal preference is running at the "efficient settings", at Micron memory speed of 910MHZ, and Samsung memory at 900MHz. These speeds drop the SoC to 950MHz. I modified the Power Table SoC Maximum (MHz) to 1033. When I am running amd-info, I see that the SoC drops to 950, and my power consumption at the wall is reduced.

Could you check the SoC frequency by running amd-info, at the memory speed 930 MHz?

[Regarding SoC Maximum, must kept at default 1267 MHz in the vbios, capping it at another value must be done inside the OS using a sctipt in linux or editing the registry using MorePowerTool in Windows, recommended values for memory types at specific clocks as below,
Memory Clock - - - > SoC Maximum,
910 (1820) MHz - - - > 953 MHz (Samsung & Micron),
935 (1870) MHz - - - > 1033 MHz (Micron),
950 (1900) MHz - - - > 1093 MHz (Micron),
960 (1920) MHz - - - > 1113 MHz (Micron)]

Anhänge

• Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 6.35.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 6.35.46 AM.png
    204 KB · Aufrufe : 62
The Gigabyte cards are very stable with these extreme configurations. They were running very hot with VDD/VDDCI of 840'sh and MVDD of 1350. When I dropped the power to VDD/VDDCI 750 they dropped the temperature and became stable at a memory speed of 910MHz. The Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC are the only card that I can run these low VDD/VDDCI in a low temperature and stable condition. Not even once did the rig crashed because of the Gigabytes, and when I put my hand over the cards, the air is not too hot.

I am running bios rev 1. (unsigned from Page-1) with the Apple straps and power table from Page 32.

A note about dropping the SoC Maximum to 1033. The maximum effective memory speed I can run the GPS is 910'sh. If I set the speed above 912, the hash drops from 55.5MH to 38MH with very little power consumption. I suspect that this the side effect of changing the power curve for capping the maximum SoC speed.

If I would want to run the GPS's at a "performance" configuration, I would have to try higher SoC speeds (1093 or 1113).

The Gigabyte cards are very stable with these extreme configurations. They were running very hot with VDD/VDDCI of 840'sh and MVDD of 1350. When I dropped the power to VDD/VDDCI 750 they dropped the temperature and became stable at a memory speed of 910MHz. The Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC are the only card that I can run these low VDD/VDDCI in a low temperature and stable condition. Not even once did the rig crashed because of the Gigabytes, and when I put my hand over the cards, the air is not too hot.

I am running bios rev 1. (unsigned from Page-1) with the Apple straps and power table from Page 32.
Unfortunately the reason for AMD and Nvidia to cap the memory speed at 14 GB/s 875 MHz is to barely match the minimum VDDCI memory controller voltage of 850 mV due to insufficient cooling for the vram,

My recommendation is to set the core voltage and VDD at 1.8 ratio then set the MVDD at 1350 mV and VDDCI at 775 mV no less than this, after that to test the system and record down the period of crashes, if it less than 1 day then we increase the VDDCI by 5 mV until we achieve a crash period of 2 days then we settle there.

A note about dropping the SoC Maximum to 1033. The maximum effective memory speed I can run the GPS is 910'sh. If I set the speed above 912, the hash drops from 55.5MH to 38MH with very little power consumption. I suspect that this the side effect of changing the power curve for capping the maximum SoC speed.

If I would want to run the GPS's at a "performance" configuration, I would have to try higher SoC speeds (1093 or 1113).
Great finding dear, I hope others note this.

An increase in the Power Table of the SoC Maximum to 1093 changed enough the power curve, and the Micron memory-based GPUs can run at a memory speed of 930MHz and throttle up the SoC 1085.

Unfortunately the reason for AMD and Nvidia to cap the memory speed at 14 GB/s 875 MHz is to barely match the minimum VDDCI memory controller voltage of 850 mV due to insufficient cooling for the vram,

My recommendation is to set the core voltage and VDD at 1.8 ratio then set the MVDD at 1350 mV and VDDCI at 775 mV no less than this, after that to test the system and record down the period of crashes, if it less than 1 day then we increase the VDDCI by 5 mV until we achieve a crash period of 2 days then we settle there.
Great guideline. Can you please update the modification procedure on page 32 to include these steps?

Oben Unten