Question GIGABYTE 5700 XT Bios mod fails

AlleyCat

Veteran
Bewertungspunkte
Hi,
I am failing to update Gigabyte 5700 XT. The same procedure updates the BIOS on MSI cards with no problem. I follow the instructions on Igors Lab.

The sign of having trouble with the card bios flash shows in GPU-Z. After flash using amdvbflash the values of GPU and memory frequencies is empty. With stock bios there are Mhz frequencies.

Is there any known problems with flashing Gigabyte cards?
Any suggestions on what other forums I may ask for assistance?
Is it possible that the OEM bios is signed, and any modified bios will be rejected?
If the bios is signed, any tools to resign, or would I need to buy a card from a different vendor?

Thanks,

Alley Cat

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Hi

This thread is pure gold! However I want to share the difficulties I have faced trying to get my new rig up and running. In case someone are as stupid as me.

Hardware:

Onda B250 d12p-d3 motherboard.
2500w PSU
64 GB SSD
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G3930
8GB DDR3 RAM
7 x Asus RX 5700 GPU's
3 x Powercolor RX 5700 XT
2 x Gigabyte RX 5700 XT

The Asus RX 5700 cards are flashed with RX 5700 XT BIOS, and all cards have been flashed with Apple timings.
Running HiveOS, and using latest Phoenixminer.

OC: Core - 1400, VDD - 900, MEM - 900

Power usage: 2300w at the wall.
Hashrate: 676 MH
===============================================

So my issue was every time I started the miner after a few minutes maybe 5 or 15 min the miner would crash! I tried all kinds of OC settings even going back to stock bios and no OC. But still the same problem. Looking at the miner log, I found out that it looked like it had something to do with the DAG creation while mining. I then discovered that the HiveOS image I was running was an
Beta image with OpenCl 19.30 drivers. Which had been working up until recently on my testbench.

The solution was as simple as doing an hive-replace on my rig and choosing the latest stable version which now have the OpenCl 20.30 drivers. And voila the rig is now stable! I'm now running my 24 hour stability test on the rig, and will after that start experimenting with lowering the VDD towards 780 - 800.

So long story short - Always check that your drivers are compatible with the latest miner version. Happy mining, and thanks for all the info in this thread.
I have to second Calathia here!
2500W PSU @ 2300W looks like you want to burn your house down.
I cannot emphasize enough how right he/she is with the 80% and max 2000W on that PSU.
Do yourself a favor and get a second PSU, and do not mix the PSUs on cards, that is looking for trouble.

Glad you got it to run.
To be a little more thourough, two points:
1.) You can surely update the drivers without changing the HiveOs version (if needed ofc, never touch a running system). But getting the new stable was the way to go in your case anyway.
2.) Phoenixminer has some options related to DAG creation if that problem ever comes up again. Take a peek into the options of the miner.

im seeing a lot of different settings for the MSI cards, does it just depend on the card?
I do not have MSI cards yet.

Yes every card, every setup, every fly taking a s**t next to your rig influences.
There are so many factors with every setup, that there simply isn't a "fixed" setting for anything.

Even same cards can have different stable settings, it doesnt matter what brand.
You should go with the most stable settings and then decide how far you gonna take it with tweaking and tuning.
Little steps on values and change only one setting at a time is the best advise I can give.
See AndSers tunings for example, thats perfection, but for his cards and his setup, they might work for you as well, or they dont.

At some point you will have to decide if more hours of tuning is more important for you than mining i guess.
Mini_Mes & AlleyCats advise is a good point to start and worth a pot of gold imho

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
I have to second Calathia here!
2500W PSU @ 2300W looks like you want to burn your house down.
I cannot emphasize enough how right he/she is with the 80% and max 2000W on that PSU.
Do yourself a favor and get a second PSU, and do not mix the PSUs on cards, that is looking for trouble.

Glad you got it to run.
To be a little more thourough, two points:
1.) You can surely update the drivers without changing the HiveOs version (if needed ofc, never touch a running system). But getting the new stable was the way to go in your case anyway.
2.) Phoenixminer has some options related to DAG creation if that problem ever comes up again. Take a peek into the options of the miner.
Greetings,

Regarding choosing the right power supply, it does not matter if its efficiency rated 80 or gold or platinum, what is matter is what really inside the power supply, the pcb and its components in addition to the proper power regulation that used as well,

There were a lot of power supply rated 80 plus gold, bronze efficiency however they were failures compared to other ones because of the components and pcb quality, proper power regulation and other factors related to design,

What Calathia stated before based on his current knowledge is only basic and general things however when one dig more by looking up the components origins and with the right tools to test the psu under constant different loads, one will find realistic and in depth information regarding which psu is really has an efficiency of 80 plus,

There are people in this field who already done the investigation and made reviews to make it easier for the consumers to choose the right psu for their system and money,

I have a friend who has running for more than a year an Asus B250 Mining Expert with 12 cards of RX 5700 using only 2 psu 1000 watts gold rated however it is a SuperFlower brand, one of the best psu brands and the supplier of EVGA psu, 1 psu for each 6 cards however there is a condition that to power cap the cards first before connecting all of them together, and after 1 year of constant running, he tested the psu thoroughly again and it is the same as when he first time tested it,

The summary is when it comes to buying psu it is highly recommended to be generous and if available to buy from a supplier brands like SuperFlower, Seasoning and FSP (Hydro series) and 250 more watts than the recommended for long term run, that is why Asus highly recommended for the B250 Mining Expert at least silver rated 3 x1250 (total 3750) watts power supply units and for the best 3x 1350 watts.

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Greetings,

Regarding choosing the right power supply, it does not matter if its efficiency rated 80 or gold or platinum, what is matter is what really inside the power supply, the pcb and its components in addition to the proper power regulation that used as well,

There were a lot of power supply rated 80 plus gold, bronze efficiency however they were failures compared to other ones because of the components and pcb quality, proper power regulation and other factors related to design,

What Calathia stated before based on his current knowledge is only basic and general things however when one dig more by looking up the components origins and with the right tools to test the psu under constant different loads, one will find realistic and in depth information regarding which psu is really has an efficiency of 80 plus,

There are people in this field who already done the investigation and made reviews to make it easier for the consumers to choose the right psu for their system and money,

I have a friend who has running for more than a year an Asus B250 Mining Expert with 12 cards of RX 5700 using only 2 psu 1000 watts gold rated however it is a SuperFlower brand, one of the best psu brands and the supplier of EVGA psu, 1 psu for each 6 cards however there is a condition that to power cap the cards first before connecting all of them together, and after 1 year of constant running, he tested the psu thoroughly again and it is the same as when he first time tested it,

The summary is when it comes to buying psu it is highly recommended to be generous and if available to buy from a supplier brands like SuperFlower, Seasoning and FSP (Hydro series) and 250 more watts than the recommended for long term run, that is why Asus highly recommended for the B250 Mining Expert at least silver rated 3 x1250 (total 3750) watts power supply units and for the best 3x 1350 watts.
Yes, @Mini_Me, you are right.
Going with 80% is a good safe zone without getting too much into components of power supplies, dont you think?
If someone knows what is going on inside a PSU thats a whole different story.

12x5700 @ 2000W in PSU sounds about right to me if you got quality hardware.
Some people would even argue to use regular PSUs with this kind of aplication (mining 24/7).
Regular PSUs are not made for that to begin with.

I myself use server PSUs platinum rated, made for 24/7.

Some common line should be there for people.
Cheap branded aliexpress 2600Watt supplies and on top hard at the limit is just begging for failure.
No need to get into capacitators, transistors etc...noone was talking about efficiency anyway, just a safe zone.

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Yes, @Mini_Me, you are right.
Going with 80% is a good safe zone without getting too much into components of power supplies, dont you think?
If someone knows what is going on inside a PSU thats a whole different story.

12x5700 @ 2000W in PSU sounds about right to me if you got quality hardware.
Some people would even argue to use regular PSUs with this kind of aplication (mining 24/7).
Regular PSUs are not made for that to begin with.

I myself use server PSUs platinum rated, made for 24/7.

Some common line should be there for people.
Cheap branded aliexpress 2600Watt supplies and on top hard at the limit is just begging for failure.
No need to get into capacitators, transistors etc...noone was talking about efficiency anyway, just a safe zone.
When we mention 80% then we means the efficiency is at least 80%, when Calathia calculated 2500 * 80% = 2000 watts, this is theoretically however practically a power factor PF is involved as the psu is drawing AC at the wall and this PF depends on the psu components,

When someone find a psu with different colors of 80% label and different watts, what does that means and how to choose from them,

Lets take a 1000 Watts psu for an example, the 1000 watts means this psu will draw at the wall approximately 1000 watts at full load, now what about the 80 colored labels, the 80 label is informing this psu minimum output is at least 80% of the power at the wall minus 10% due to some impedance and interference on the power lines making the voltage and current are not in phase which yield to a power reduction, the colors refer to the level of efficiency which is more than 80% and the quality level is involved as well, the color is a way to inform the approximate increased efficiency level,

For an example 80 white label, the practical input is 2500 * 0.9 = 2250 watts then the practical output is 2250 * 80 = 1800 watts, the default power factor is 0.9 (90%) then what about the remaining 700 watts, well it transformed to heat (which means this psu is literally a mini air fryer), therefore more efficiency means less heat, less power consumption and prolonged psu life,

Now in WestBit case, his psu real output is approximately 1800 watts that if its 80 white label, and his current rig is consuming 2300 watts at the wall then his rig real consumption is below,
2300 * 0.9 * 80% = 1656 watts, then his system is safely within range of his psu however the heat dissipation amount is,
2300 - 1656 = 644 watts (still a mini air fryer),

For White, Bronze, Silver and Gold rated 80 colored label, however the efficiency is different like below,

Label color: efficiency at 20% - 50% - 100% load and 0.9 PF
White: 82% - 85% - 82%
Bronze: 85% - 88% - 85%
Silver: 87% - 90% - 87%
Gold: 90% - 92% - 90%
Platinum: 92% - 94% - 90%

The Titanium is a different story as it main purpose to operate correctly and safely at low loads with better power factor which is very important for prolong the psu life,
Load: 10% - 20% - 50% - 100%
Effic.: 90% - 94% - 96% - 94% (the PF for loads lower than 50% is 0.95)

My recommendation is when buying a psu of 1500 watts or more then Platinum (or Titanium if one can afford it), less than that then Gold,

And all above is an estimated way that was found to organize and categorize things respectively for marketing.

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
You are using 2500W PSU @ 2300W ?? You are playing with fire here!!!! Its only a matter of time when that PSU will die, possibly catch fire/destroy GPU's or similar.

Since your mobo is onda, I assume that 2500W PSU is some no brand chinese so its not even 80 plus bronze...so its power efficiency factor is max 0,8.

You should NEVER EVER use any PSU more than 80% of its capacity, even if its high quality brand 80 plus platinum. For your PSU its 2500W * 0,8 = 2000W !!!
Please read this,

https://www.igorslab.de/community/threads/gigabyte-5700-xt-bios-mod-fails.3304/post-91009

I have now properly modified Pica Gigabyte RX 5700 XT OC rev.2 F3 vbios to bypass the rsa signature, this vbios will 100% work in CSM bios boot type however for UEFI bios boot type need testing,

Plrase give it a try and update whenever it is possible.
Hi @Mini_Me,

I have tried to flash the BIOS with HiveOS to my Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC rev.2, but doesn't boot well hiveOS, appears this error:

1606692063681.png

on hiveOS appears with a red X:

1606692107193.png

and it is show as unknown:

1606692144046.png

and the amd-info command, show:
1606692250233.png

I have tried some option in the CSM Bios Section, but the error is the same.
please tell me if I did something wrong, or if you want to do an additional test.

thanks and regards.

Hi @Mini_Me,

I have tried to flash the BIOS with HiveOS to my Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC rev.2, but doesn't boot well hiveOS, appears this error:

Anhang anzeigen 7908

on hiveOS appears with a red X:

Anhang anzeigen 7909

and it is show as unknown:

Anhang anzeigen 7910

and the amd-info command, show:
Anhang anzeigen 7911

I have tried some option in the CSM Bios Section, but the error is the same.
please tell me if I did something wrong, or if you want to do an additional test.

thanks and regards.
Thank you very much for your kind update,

Please shorten the file name by renaming it and try agian, if it is still the same error then please test the vbios in the kindly attached link below,

Anhänge

• M_F30_R57XTGAMING.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 54
Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Any update that you would like to share yet?
@revri , you received modified bios, and the expectation was that you reply with your report. The work done on this thread is a community effort, and the feedback is a critical component for confirming or declining any progress for the work we do. The community's feedback and input help to overcome the limitation of time and equipment. The input allows us to test different configurations and expand to the equipment we don't have. The knowledge we collect is free to anyone willing to learn this thread.

I request that anyone who is asking for assistance will implicitly agree to return feedback.

@revri, can you please reply to Mini_me? Please let us know if you were successful in programming the bios and if the modification was working? Your update will be much appreciated, even if you did not get to it.

Thank you.

Please shorten the file name by renaming it and try agian, if it is still the same error then please test the higher version vbios in the kindly attached link below,
Hi @Mini_Me,
thanks a lot for your help!

I have tested renaming the original file (F30) and the new one, and the result is the same error, please let me share with you some screenshots of the process:

VBIOS Images:
1606748547883.png

update process:
1606748569775.png
1606748588118.png

status after upgrade:
1606748608436.png
1606748629731.png

and the status is the same for the F70 (higher version vbios).

Regards

Hi @Mini_Me,

I have tested renaming the original file (F30) and the new one, and the result is the same error, please let me share with you some screenshots of the process:

VBIOS Images:
Anhang anzeigen 7932

update process:
Anhang anzeigen 7933
Anhang anzeigen 7934

status after upgrade:
Anhang anzeigen 7935
Anhang anzeigen 7936

Regards
I don't trust 100% the reliability of HiveOS to flash bios. Is it possible to flash the bios on Win10 with amdvbflash 3.04+, running as administrator?

I am suggesting this to eliminate the variable of HiveOS programming a new card. Once the bios is loaded and running, the HiveOS is a great tool to manage and store bios for multiple cards.

Hi @Mini_Me,

VBIOS Images:
Anhang anzeigen 7932

update process:
Anhang anzeigen 7933
Anhang anzeigen 7934

status after upgrade:
Anhang anzeigen 7935
Anhang anzeigen 7936

Regards
Thank you again for the update,

I will send you a couple of vbios files each modified in a different way, I will update you whenever it is possible.

I don't trust 100% the reliability of HiveOS to flash bios. Is it possible to flash the bios on Win10 with amdvbflash 3.04+, running as administrator?

I am suggesting this to eliminate the variable of HiveOS programming a new card. Once the bios is loaded and running, the HiveOS is a great tool to manage and store bios for multiple cards.
I agree, the best tool for flashing is 2.93+ as this is the last version of AMD to support -f command to bypass any security unlike yhe other versions yhat came after it which they removed the -f command intentionally to avoid this.

Please shorten the file name by renaming it and try agian, if it is still the same error then please test the higher version vbios in the kindly attached link below,
Hi,
I am interested in the bios work you are doing on the Gigabyte cards. I have multiple Gigabyte 5700 XT Gaming cards. I have a few questions about the modifications in the attached file.

1) What are the differences between the bios rev.1 - unsigned, and F30?
2) Why the power table includes values that are different from the recommended values in https://www.igorslab.de/community/threads/gigabyte-5700-xt-bios-mod-fails.3304/page-32#post-86493? I am interested to see if there are any performance improvements using other parameters.

Thanks.

Hi,
I am interested in the bios work you are doing on the Gigabyte cards. I have multiple Gigabyte 5700 XT Gaming cards. I have a few questions about the modifications in the attached file.

1) What are the differences between the bios rev.1 - unsigned, and F30?
2) Why the power table includes values that are different from the recommended values in https://www.igorslab.de/community/threads/gigabyte-5700-xt-bios-mod-fails.3304/page-32#post-86493? I am interested to see if there are any performance improvements using other parameters.

Thanks.
Hi AlleyCat,

Regarding the differences between the vbios version of Gigabyte, FA0 and F3 and F7, are simple ones,
In the F3 for Gaming cards, they decreased the power limit by 5% and the fan speed by 20% as well, in the F7 they did the same thing in the F3 however they decreased the fan speed more by 5% (total 25%) as it is for Aorus cards and Aorus has a better heatsink than Gaming ones,

In F1, F2, F3 and F7 the rsa signature security check is activated and it is only a matter of changing 1 byte inside the vbios file to disable the security however the problem is how to identify which byte it is as there is almost a thousand of it.

Hi AlleyCat,

Regarding the differences between the vbios version of Gigabyte, FA0 and F3 and F7, are simple ones,
In the F3 for Gaming cards, they decreased the power limit by 5% and the fan speed by 20% as well, in the F7 they did the same thing in the F3 however they decreased the fan speed more by 5% (total 25%) as it is for Aorus cards and Aorus has a better heatsink than Gaming ones,

In F1, F2, F3 and F7 the rsa signature security check is activated and it is only a matter of changing 1 byte inside the vbios file to disable the security however the problem is how to identify which byte it is as there is almost a thousand of it.
I am curious how the different bios revisions behave in underclock OC settings.

It brings the question, are there any benefits for upgrading a bios revision for mining?

Assuming the same OC settings apply to bios FA0 and F3 (or the latest), would there be any difference in the wall's power? Fan speed? Heat?
If there are benefits for reduced power and fan speeds, is it possible to replicate these improvements to the FA0 unsigned bios? Is it preferred to upgrade to the latest bios, and unlock the security check?

Thanks.

I am curious how the different bios revisions behave in underclock OC settings.

It brings the question, are there any benefits for upgrading a bios revision for mining?

Assuming the same OC settings apply to bios FA0 and F3 (or the latest), would there be any difference in the wall's power? Fan speed? Heat?
If there are benefits for reduced power and fan speeds, is it possible to replicate these improvements to the FA0 unsigned bios? Is it preferred to upgrade to the latest bios, and unlock the security check?

Thanks.
Actually I have better plan than these new revision of vbios that may have an obvious change in the outcome, I will message you to explain further whenever it is possible.

Oben Unten