Question GIGABYTE 5700 XT Bios mod fails

AlleyCat

Veteran
Bewertungspunkte
Hi,
I am failing to update Gigabyte 5700 XT. The same procedure updates the BIOS on MSI cards with no problem. I follow the instructions on Igors Lab.

The sign of having trouble with the card bios flash shows in GPU-Z. After flash using amdvbflash the values of GPU and memory frequencies is empty. With stock bios there are Mhz frequencies.

Is there any known problems with flashing Gigabyte cards?
Any suggestions on what other forums I may ask for assistance?
Is it possible that the OEM bios is signed, and any modified bios will be rejected?
If the bios is signed, any tools to resign, or would I need to buy a card from a different vendor?

Thanks,

Alley Cat

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Great guideline. Can you please update the modification procedure on page 32 to include these steps?
I will, I need your help regarding the temperature of vram to verify which significantly affect it, the MVDD or the VDDCI by doing the below for 20 minutes period,

One by setting VDDCI at 775 mV, MVDD at 1350 mV, Core clock to VDD ratio at 1.8,

Second by setting VDDCI at 950 mV, MVDD at 1310 mV, Core clock to VDD ratio at 1.8.

I will, I need your help regarding the temperature of vram to verify which significantly affect it, the MVDD or the VDDCI by doing the below for 20 minutes period,

One by setting VDDCI at 775 mV, MVDD at 1350 mV, Core clock to VDD ratio at 1.8,

Second by setting VDDCI at 950 mV, MVDD at 1310 mV, Core clock to VDD ratio at 1.8.
OK.

Thank you very much for this update I am going to update the posts with this.
Hi!

Sorry for laaaate delay. I have finally got my second B250 mining expert and can do tests with ammeter and different bios settings. Should I inject settings from page 32 or do you plan to update them?

I can do as many tests as you wish but I'm hoping to find best results with 900 memory; I aim for maximum power efficiency, not maximum hash rate/mem settings.

Hopefully I can also use SOC 950 as it seems to boot efficiency a lot...

Hi!

Sorry for laaaate delay. I have finally got my second B250 mining expert and can do tests with ammeter and different bios settings. Should I inject settings from page 32 or do you plan to update them?

I can do as many tests as you wish but I'm hoping to find best results with 900 memory; I aim for maximum power efficiency, not maximum hash rate/mem settings.

Hi,

No need to be sorry at all, it is entirely fine,

The settings at page 2, 15, 28 and 32 are already updated, you can inject it whenever you like,

And you still can cap the soc max clock at 950 MHz however it is highly recommended to do it inside the system and not in the vbios.

Hi!

By the way, please remember to clear the CMOS and update the motherboard bios to the latest version and set the Pcie configuration to Gen3.

Thank you very much for the quick update,

I would like to hear your opinion regarding the results, Is the temperature of the air coming from the cards is different in both settings?

I would highly recommend to keep the ratio between core clock and VDD at least 1.8 becuse more than this a negative curve will apply which means by percentage the performance will decrease and the temperature will increase and instability may occur,

I heard recently that due to the memory limited binning and active pins of both memory types K4Z80325BC-14 and MT61K256M32-14 as these speed capped at 14 GB/s, the recommended minimum value of VDDCI 850 mV and MVDD 1310 mV is for memory clock at 875 MHz and below, that is why when gaming even a little bit of increase in memory clock the pc with crash on long session of a couple of hours continuous running at decent load,

For memory clock more than 875 MHz until 950 MHz, the recommended values are VDDCI 950 mV and MVDD 1350 mV,

Therefore, the sweet for performance is 935 MHz minus 5 MHz to avoid overshoot that means 930 MHz is the best for a balanced ratio between performance and power, and 905 MHz is best for more power saving,

I recommend for you to use these settings below,

Core clock, VDD,
1420 MHz, 790 mV

Memory clock, VDDCI, MVDD,
930 MHz, 950 mV, 1350 mV

And to provide enough air cycling to your system, a cheap stand or wall 16" fan proven to be better than nothing.
Hi @Mini_Me,

I am testing your recommendation in my environment, I am using the M vbios version that you share with us.
with this settings that you recommend works great in a rig with 1xGPU:

1606922469286.png

But in a Rig with 11xGPU it produce some TRM restarts, so I have tried to reduce the Mem clock to 910, but it produce restart too. My rig is stable with this settings: Core 1350Mhz, VDD 750mV, Mem 900Mhz

I have tried this settings:
1606923593162.png

but produce this errors:
1606923516846.png
1606923616265.png
1606923623484.png

Do you recommend making any changes?

thanks and regards!

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Hi @Mini_Me,

I am testing your recommendation in my environment, I am using the M vbios version that you share with us.
with this settings that you recommend works great in a rig with 1xGPU:

Anhang anzeigen 8018

But in a Rig with 11xGPU it produce some TRM restarts, so I have tried to reduce the Mem clock to 910, but it produce restart too. My rig is stable with this settings: Core 1350Mhz, VDD 750mV, Mem 900Mhz

I have tried this settings:
Anhang anzeigen 8023

but produce this errors:
Anhang anzeigen 8022
Anhang anzeigen 8024
Anhang anzeigen 8025

Do you recommend making any changes?

thanks and regards!
Yes, please test decreasing the VDDCI to 850 mV and MVDD to 1310 for all cards and update whenever it is possible.

Could you please explain why this setting is recommended to do in software rather than cap it in bios?
As I heard whenever the card boots it will take voltages based on some calculated parameters that were set in the vbios (in the system are neglected as it is still in the boot process) and these parameters always treated as default were set carefully.

It is hard to tell the difference, but perhaps the settings VDDCI at 950 mV, MVDD at 1310 mV runs a little cooler.
In our situation which using air cooling my final recommend setting for the memory is as below,

Memory clock, VDDCI, MVDD
(900 to 910) MHz (preferred 905 MHz), 780 mV, 1310 mV,
(915 to 955) MHz (preferred 930 MHz), 850 mV, 1350 mV.

In our situation which using air cooling my final recommend setting for the memory is as below,

Memory clock, VDDCI, MVDD
(900 to 910) MHz (preferred 905 MHz), 780 mV, 1310 mV,
(915 to 955) MHz (preferred 930 MHz), 850 mV, 1350 mV.
Could we commit the MVDD 1350 and leave it to default?

Are these recommendations for Micron and Samsung memory?

How about dealing with the specific GOU that failed. GPU 9 failed. Try to increase VDD and mvdd by 10 and let it run.

Thanks @AlleyCat @Mini_Me!
only for the GPU9 or for all GPU? because the restart not always is the same GPU, sometime GPU9, other times GPU1 or 2, or 4.
I have changed the miner to PhoenixMiner, and the Rig has an uptime of 2 hours without restarting :)

Oben Unten