Question GIGABYTE 5700 XT Bios mod fails

AlleyCat

Veteran
Bewertungspunkte
Hi,
I am failing to update Gigabyte 5700 XT. The same procedure updates the BIOS on MSI cards with no problem. I follow the instructions on Igors Lab.

The sign of having trouble with the card bios flash shows in GPU-Z. After flash using amdvbflash the values of GPU and memory frequencies is empty. With stock bios there are Mhz frequencies.

Is there any known problems with flashing Gigabyte cards?
Any suggestions on what other forums I may ask for assistance?
Is it possible that the OEM bios is signed, and any modified bios will be rejected?
If the bios is signed, any tools to resign, or would I need to buy a card from a different vendor?

Thanks,

Alley Cat

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Very well,
Let us continue our conversation tomorrow before you try anything else,

You may have a good sleep and sweet dreams,

Goodnight.
Good Morning. I was thinking about the new curves and I have a question.
Why are we modifying the PowerTable and the curve if HiveOS can set values on runtime? Can you explain how HiveOS configurations and the Power Table are working together?

Now that I understand how to modify the curve I will try to use the "FINAL" Power Table to reduce the total power, while keeping the card stable. I will focus on power reduction.

Thanks,
AlleyCat

Good Morning. I was thinking about the new curves and I have a question.
Why are we modifying the PowerTable and the curve if HiveOS can set values on runtime? Can you explain how HiveOS configurations and the Power Table are working together?

Now that I understand how to modify the curve I will try to use the "FINAL" Power Table to reduce the total power, while keeping the card stable. I will focus on power reduction.

Thanks,
AlleyCat
We are modifying the bios to lock the parameters in case somthing wrong with HiveOS or windows or the AMD driver then nothing to be worried about,
Regarding the curve is to optimize and reduce the power at the core clock, if you were noticed the default will set high voltage for a low core clock like 1400 MHz and the defult curve will set the voltage from (830 to 850) mv which is too much for the core clock at 1400 MHz,

The purpose of the both power tabe and navi curve to reduce power while preserving the best performance however by right calculations and trial and error.

I just found that the ASRock card will crash with almost any power table changes. I don't think this card is suitable for mining.

I will go to the shop and replace it later, most likely to a Sapphire. I may get a Micron or a Samsung. Either way will have the ability to optimize the Sapphire to mining.

I think the ASRock is sensitive to strap changes.

I just found that the ASRock card will crash with almost any power table changes. I don't think this card is suitable for mining.

I will go to the shop and replace it later, most likely to a Sapphire. I may get a Micron or a Samsung. Either way will have the ability to optimize the Sapphire to mining.

I think the ASRock is sensitive to strap changes.
I believe they hardware locked the card using a micro chip,
Have you tried to flash the bios from DOS using USB flash drive as an attempt to bypass this?

I believe they hardware locked the card using a micro chip,
Have you tried to flash the bios from DOS using USB flash drive as an attempt to bypass this?
The bios flashes OK and I can make modifications. The issue is that once the card is flashed, it becomes unstable.
I run the card with Apple straps overnight. The best I got was about 56MH/s at 130W. Any attempt to increased memory clock, or reduce power results with a crash. This is why I suspect that the ASRock may not be suitable for mining.

I thought that this is a cheap card that may be suitable for mining if it can be tuned. But I don't want to spend any more time on the ASRock. I prefer focusing on cards that perform well above 0.51 efficiency and tune them further.

The bios flashes OK and I can make modifications. The issue is that once the card is flashed, it becomes unstable.
I run the card with Apple straps overnight. The best I got was about 56MH/s at 130W. Any attempt to increased memory clock, or reduce power results with a crash. This is why I suspect that the ASRock may not be suitable for mining.

I thought that this is a cheap card that may be suitable for mining if it can be tuned. But I don't want to spend any more time on the ASRock. I prefer focusing on cards that perform well above 0.51 efficiency and tune them further.
Me too, I hope that you will replace it with a Sapphire card or a reference one.

Do you have any experience tuning MSI cards?
All the cards are good, the only problem is that AMD forced the companies to make measurements to prevent modifications and some of the companies did that in their revision 2 patch of cards,

If you are planning to get MSI card then only look for their gaming series as they have one of the best cooling in the rx 5700 xt on the market.

This is the official bios for the ASRock Radeon RX 5700 XT Challenger D 8G OC (RX5700XT CLD 8GO) in case if you need it below,

Hey,
Please find an update.
1) I replaced the ASRock with MSI 5700XT Gaming.
2) I loaded the Apple straps to the MSI stock bios
3) I loaded the following Power Table:

2- Under Features tab enable all the overdive features,
- Under Overdrive Limits tab, set:
GFX Maximum Clock 1600 MHz
Memory Maximum Clock 1000 MHz

- Under Power and Voltages, set:
Maximum Voltage GFX 900 mv
Maximum Voltage SoC 1200 mv
Minimum Voltage GFX 650 mv
Minimum Voltage SoC 750 mv
Power Limit GPU 140 W
TDC Limit GFX 140 A
TDC Limit SoC 12 A

- Under Frequency tap, set:
GFX Maximum 1200 MHz
SoC Maximum 1150 MHz
SoC Minimum 550 MHz
Memory DPM 3 - 950 MHz

- Under Fan tab, set:
Zero RPM Enable - NO

- MSI Gaming:
Fan Acoustic Limit 2100 RPM
Fan Throttling Limit 2300 RPM

HiveOS settings:
Core 1430 Mhz
VDD 780
VDDCI 780
MVDD 1350

58.9 MH/s
121 W
Ratio: 0.487
Mem Temp: 80

I did not modify the curve yet.

Under VDD 780 the card crashes at 1430 core.
At memory 950 the card becomes unstable, it runs at 59.5MH/s for a while and then crash.

The next steps are how to reduce the power around 110W.

Hey,
Please find an update.
1) I replaced the ASRock with MSI 5700XT Gaming.
2) I loaded the Apple straps to the MSI stock bios
3) I loaded the following Power Table:

2- Under Features tab enable all the overdive features,
- Under Overdrive Limits tab, set:
GFX Maximum Clock 1600 MHz
Memory Maximum Clock 1000 MHz

- Under Power and Voltages, set:
Maximum Voltage GFX 900 mv
Maximum Voltage SoC 1200 mv
Minimum Voltage GFX 650 mv
Minimum Voltage SoC 750 mv
Power Limit GPU 140 W
TDC Limit GFX 140 A
TDC Limit SoC 12 A

GFX Maximum 1200 MHz
SoC Maximum 1150 MHz
SoC Minimum 550 MHz
Memory DPM 3 - 950 MHz

- Under Fan tab, set:
Zero RPM Enable - NO

- MSI Gaming:
Fan Acoustic Limit 2100 RPM
Fan Throttling Limit 2300 RPM

HiveOS settings:
Core 1430 Mhz
VDD 780
VDDCI 780
MVDD 1350

58.9 MH/s
121 W
Ratio: 0.487
Mem Temp: 80

I did not modify the curve yet.

Under VDD 780 the card crashes at 1430 core.
At memory 950 the card becomes unstable, it runs at 59.5MH/s for a while and then crash.

The next steps are how to reduce the power around 110W.
For MSI Gaming let us do as below:

[Updated]
This is the final power table for any RX 5700 card in the kindly attached link below,

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
For MSI Gaming let us do as below:

SoC Maximum 1110 MHz
SoC Minimum 510 MHz
Zero RPM Control 1

- Under Fan tab, set:
Zero RPM Enable - YES
Fan Acoustic Limit 1500 RPM
Fan Throttling Limit 2000 RPM

When you set

the HiveOS settings:
For VDD 780 mv the core should be at most 1420 Mhz and for 1430 mhz core the VDD should be at least 790 mv,
For 940 - 950 MHz the VDDCI at least should be (800 - 830) mv,
MVDD 1350
Fan at 50% or enable AutoFan.
Card: MSI 5700 XT Gaming
The best I can do, is 58.9 MH/s at 114W (HiveOS report) 0.52 ratio
The HiveOS Settings: Core 1420, VDD 770, VDDCI 830, MVDD 1350, memory clock 955.
Memory temp: 82c

I will let it run for a while.

I don't see the benefits of modifying the curve if we can get the ratio with HiveOS settings. The process requires modifying each type of card, and it could become complex to track all the variables that go into the modification.

Card: MSI 5700 XT Gaming
The best I can do, is 58.9 MH/s at 114W (HiveOS report) 0.52 ratio
The HiveOS Settings: Core 1420, VDD 770, VDDCI 830, MVDD 1350, memory clock 955.
Memory temp: 82c

I will let it run for a while.
If the system fail you need to increase the VDD to 775 mv or 780 mv and after that check it.

If the system fail you need to increase the VDD to 775 mv or 780 mv and after that check it.
Its running for about an hour with no issues. HiveOS reports 59.2MH/s (using Phoenix), and 113W. 60 good shares. The pool reports 2 Stale shares, but I don't think this is related to the GPU's performance.

Best regards,
AlleyCat

Are we getting to the "final" power tables for the cards we tested?
- Gigabyte 5700 XT Gaming 8G / Micron memory
- Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse / Micron memory
- Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse / Samsung memory
- MSI 5700 XT Gaming / Micron memory

Its running for about an hour with no issues. HiveOS reports 59.2MH/s (using Phoenix), and 113W. 60 good shares. The pool reports 2 Stale shares, but I don't think this is related to the GPU's performance.

Best regards,
AlleyCat
Great, have you tried the setting below yet,

Core clock 1435 or 1440 MHz
VDD 800 mv,
Memory clock 960 MHz
VDDCI 810 mv
MVDD 1365 mv.

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Oben Unten