Guide: XFX 7900XTX Merc310 - Waterblock installation made possbible.

Curiositea

Mitglied
Bewertungspunkte
Mounting a EKWB Reference 7900XTX Waterblock to a XFX Speedster 7900XTX Merc 310 GPU

Hey everybody how‘s it going? – Just kidding, im not Louis Rossmann.
But i am going to tell you, how to mount a waterblock onto your XFX 7900XTX Merc310 graphics card.

If you are here, that tells me you are probably looking for a waterblock for your new precious monster of a GPU, but im afraid i have to tell you that there isn‘t one available yet. There are rumors that Alphacool wants to produce one, but so far, we XFX customers are being left stranded here.

But fear not, for there is a solution, although it’s a bit janky and you might not get the full visual experience EKWB intended you to get.
But first:

DISCLAIMER:
I am not recommending you perform this if you are not 100% sure of what you are doing here! Any kind of changes, like removing the cooler, will void your warranty! There is a chance that you could damage or destroy your GPU die, the PCB or other parts in the process. Perform this at your own risk – you have been warned! I am not liable for any damages or defects that may arise from this guide! Read the entire guide first!

What you need

First things first lets make sure you have everything you need beforehand:

-The Waterblock: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-vector2-rx-7900-xtx-d-rgb-nickel-plexi EAN: 3831109902691 (You can probably also use the full metal version, but the acrylic version will make it easier for you)

-The XFX Merc 310 7900XTX GPU (duh!)

-A dremel or a CNC milling machine (anything goes as long as it‘s safe and gets the job done – you‘ll see what you need it for)

-Unlike me, you should have some skill in using a dremel or a cnc machine. If not, ask someone to help you.

-A little imagination, because I forgot to take useful pictures throughout this entire operation, despite me already knowing that I would write a guide. Ill try to show everything al clearly as possible.

Getting started:

Alrighty, with that out of the way, lets get started. I am going to assume that you already have some experience in watercooling, if not you should probably get some information on the general topic beforehand. Well start with the removing the XFX Cooler from the Card. Make sure you keep the screws, as you might wanna reassemble the card at some point. Start with removing the screws with the red circles around them. For the screws with the purple circles, these are loaded with a spring, the keep the cooler pressed against the die, unscrew these with care, crosswise and only a bit at a time, so as not to put too much pressure on one side of the die area.

1675338032587.png
Source: Igorslab ( https://www.igorslab.de/xfx-radeon-...en-hands-on-test-durstig-und-fix-mit-5-mal-x/ )

If you have removed these, you should now be able to remove the backplate. It might stick to the PCB quite a bit due to the thermal pads used by XFX. Do not use a screwdriver or something like that to pull the backplate off, as that might damage the PCB. You can however, you the small plastic spatula that came with your EKWB waterblock, to gently and carefully (patience!) pry the backplate off. It might take a minute or two, as the adhesion can be very strong.

Once the backplate has come off, you will need to remove the all of the screws going through the PCB. The Cooler should now come off easily. Note where the thermal pads are located, especially the small ones, as a few SMDs differ from the reference PCB.
Clean the die area and remove any leftover thermal pads from the PCB. Dont forget to remove the I/O plate, it has 2 screws through the PCB and 4 small screws right above the HDMI/DP ports (We will need those again).

The Waterblock

Now, for the waterblock. You will have to mistreat it a little. There are 2 key areas that will hinder the reference waterblock from fitting onto our XFX PCB.

The end of the waterblock contains a “addon” so to speak (red rectangle). This will sadly interfere with the capacitors located right below the third PCIe 8-Pin power plug. It comes off pretty easy and you can pull the LED strip (without the aluminum bracket) through the hole without any issues, so the RGB functionality won’t be lost.

1675338046290.png

The more problematic part will be the purple circle. This are would directly interfere with the third 8-Pin connector. There are 3 specific areas of interest here.

1675338059430.png

• The Red circle: this is the easiest problem, it’s a threaded standoff. This can be easily screwed out with pliers or something alike.
  • The Blue circle: quite a bit harder, literally. It’s the backplate. This can sawed off, or removed with a Dremel, but more on that later.
  • The purple circle: The acrylic frontplate. This might be the hardest part to get right, as its very easy to damage the acrylic or screw up here in some other way. But, I should probably say that this part is actually optional and I did it for aesthetic reasons (and because I didn’t realize that I didn’t have to cut it away at the time)

Measuring our cut-out Area

To give you an Idea about what area we have to get rid of, I created an overlayed image of the reference PCB and the XFX PCB.

1675338076073.png
Its not perfect but it should show the area (upper right corner) where the XFX PCB differs from the Reference PCB.

Best approach for me was to put the waterblock on a table with the acrylic side downwards and put the PCB (gently) on top of it, with the Die-side facing downwards too. This will reveal that you would have to cut away the acrylic 2cm deep and right until 2mm to the edge. You can make a rounded corner so that you could fit the the acetal standout back on (tho this would require cutting some parts of the acetal standout away). If you’re done with the cutting, it should look something like this (but I hope you did a better job than I did):
1675338095262.png
You can use some sandpaper and try to make the cut area for smooth, with finer and finer sandpaper it will become clearer and clearer.

Part 1/2 (due to the amount of pictures i can attach)

The backplate

The backplate is a little more work. I used a jewelers saw which has an extremely fine blade
1675338172937.png

For the measurments, you can use the same method as before. Use the same height as is used for the 2 already cut out 8-Pin areas and just cut right to the end of the backplate leaving 2mm standing.

The red line show where the cut should be made, the green line shows what should be left uncut.

1675338180787.png

The metal is fairly thick, so it might take a while if you it by hand. We will not be able to use the screwhole that is seen in the picture, as it would go directly through our third 8-Pin connector.

I would recommend using a file to smoothing the sharp edges over a little.

1675338189513.png
1675338202964.png

You can paint the cutout area over, but I just used a black sharpie which makes the cut area nearly invisible once inside the case (did that after I took the last picture). Make sure you remove any metal filings and dust that may stick to the backplate, acrylic or PCB!

Now you are good to go. Just keep to the EKWB Manual for installation of the thermal pads and lookout for any screws that cannot be used due to the slightly different PCB layout (the important one will still work).

Sorry for not being able to provide better visuals, I was so captured in the flow that I forgot to take as many useful pictures as I would’ve like to. Also forgive my horrible writing skills, I have never written a guide before and I probably could have done a better job at the whole thing.

I really hope this helps some of you out. I had a lot of fun doing this. If you have any further questions, let me know, ill be happy to answer them.

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Hey @Curiositea, thx for the guide and respect for this good job, which you have done there!

I'm thinking about to do this little "mess" too 😅
Because I like the ek block more than the ALC block, but is there absolutely no chance, to get the Acetal block at the red Rectangle Re mounted? 😅 ✌️ And how are the Temperatures with the this block?

Hey @Curiositea, thx for the guide and respect for this good job, which you have done there!

I'm thinking about to do this little "mess" too 😅
Because I like the ek block more than the ALC block, but is there absolutely no chance, to get the Acetal block at the red Rectangle Re mounted? 😅 ✌️ And how are the Temperatures with the this block?
Hi , Thank you. So first the red rectangle. I assume you mean the little addon at the end of the waterblock? So, i thought about that too and it should be possible to mount it. However, that would require you to cut a small slit into the acetal i suppose. Also the mounting hole for the screw would just be missing. So you'd have to figure out a different way to make it hang on. Maybe I'll work on that at some point but can't promise anything yet. Don't really have the time atm tbh.

And concerning the temps:

I should mention that these results represent the worst possible settings (+15% Power and core @3200Mhz and Mem@2800MHz with no lowering on voltage or any other optimisations)

Running timespy extreme stresstest gives me 45°C on core and 95°C on junction at 489 Watts.
again, i doubt this is representative of any real use cases. But I can almost promise that whatever you get it's gonna be lower than that, at least if you use somewhat logical settings.
Hope this helps, if you got any more questions feel free to ask.

THx for your fast response. Yes i mean the acetal add on, but okay, looks like it were a little bit tricky^^ GPU Temps are fine, but a pretty high delta to Hotspot. Even if there are 489 watts, i think its to high^^ you think its from your installation , or bad thermalpaste or rather you tried multiple remounts to improve the hotspot temperature? Or didnt you have timetoo, to check this up?:p✌️

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Np, of course 😁
I think the Delta is pretty high too, but i might be able to get it lower if I were to reseat the Waterblock. However it didn't really occur to me till now as I'm running a UV and don't have it @15% PT. It's usually below 90°C on extended sessions with fans@750rpm, which results in a 35°C Delta, which is about what i had on both my Vega 64s. It could just be a part of the chip that isn't perfect and produces a lot of high if allowed to consume much more power.

But I might go and check it out if I can find the time for that.

Hey @Curiositea , i really have to thank you!

I have mounted my XFX on the EK Block, and it works great. Didnt Dremel anything😅 and use the Block without Backplate. Hotspot Maximum at 66° , GPU at 37°, Memory at 56° after 30 minutes of CoD MW2

Anhänge

• IMG_20230506_014900.jpg
    IMG_20230506_014900.jpg
    3,5 MB · Aufrufe : 10
Hey @Curiositea , i really have to thank you!

I have mounted my XFX on the EK Block, and it works great. Didnt Dremel anything😅 and use the Block without Backplate. Hotspot Maximum at 66° , GPU at 37°, Memory at 56° after 30 minutes of CoD MW2
That looks great! Love the coloring scheme btw.
You say you didn't put the backplate on. You mean the EK backplate? I thought about that too but wasn't sure wether it's a great idea due to screw length and mounting pressure (or rather over pressure). But glad it works.
I think the real takeaway from the whole guide is, that the block fits the card as long and that one standoff is removed.

Btw. I think I figured some of my "temperature problems". I actually never recalculated my radiator cooling capacity before the hardware upgrade.
Before I had a i7-6700K and a Vega 64 LiquidEdition (two at some point even).
Apparently the EK Coolstream PE360 and the SE360 are totally fine with the almost 800W of the two Vegas and the i7 but can't handle the 5900X and the 7900XTX (which doesn't make a sense at all but oh well) . More importantly i believe that the airflow in my o11 dynamic (the OG one) isn't adequate anymore. I might need to get a new case to fit an additional radiator (gonna get a big one if possible) and put some additional fans on it.
The connection to the GPU and CPU seems fine, but my water is getting up to 46°C hot. Which is almost the exact same temperature as the GPU temp. Which is too hot. And I want a quiet PC so there's no way around it anyways.

Oben Unten