Question GIGABYTE 5700 XT Bios mod fails

AlleyCat

Veteran
Bewertungspunkte
Hi,
I am failing to update Gigabyte 5700 XT. The same procedure updates the BIOS on MSI cards with no problem. I follow the instructions on Igors Lab.

The sign of having trouble with the card bios flash shows in GPU-Z. After flash using amdvbflash the values of GPU and memory frequencies is empty. With stock bios there are Mhz frequencies.

Is there any known problems with flashing Gigabyte cards?
Any suggestions on what other forums I may ask for assistance?
Is it possible that the OEM bios is signed, and any modified bios will be rejected?
If the bios is signed, any tools to resign, or would I need to buy a card from a different vendor?

Thanks,

Alley Cat

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
I believe the Nitro plus have the PCB and components of the 50th Anniversary version,

I was always suspecting the software, let us tune yours,

Is it possible to know your system specification regarding the motherboard, cpu, ram abd windows 10 version?
The card is MSI 5700 XT Gaming.
I changed the straps of the Micron straps with 1550 and tREF 9998.
Let's try the card in Windows. Once the card is stable in Windows we can put it to work in HiveOS.
The os in WIN10 Home.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GAZ170X-UD5 https://www.gigabyte.com/ca/Motherboard/GA-Z170X-UD5-rev-10#ov
CPU: Intel Skylake i3-6100
Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200
AMD Driver: 20.9.2
Card: MSI 5700 XT Gaming

Memory Straps: Micron strap only, 1550 and tREF 9998.
Miner: Phoenix 5.2c

The kernel in the latest HiveOS looks like 5.6. This is why I’m looking to get an older image for testing with an older kernel.

I will test the MSI later today.
It looks like the Nitro+ has tight tolerance components that allow them to run at higher efficiency. I thought the picture is yours and that you were able to run the Pulse at these high efficiency. Perhaps we are reaching the best efficiency with a cheaper card.
The card is MSI 5700 XT Gaming.
I changed the straps of the Micron straps with 1550 and tREF 9998.
Let's try the card in Windows. Once the card is stable in Windows we can put it to work in HiveOS.
The os in WIN10 Home.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GAZ170X-UD5 https://www.gigabyte.com/ca/Motherboard/GA-Z170X-UD5-rev-10#ov
CPU: Intel Skylake i3-6100
Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200
AMD Driver: 20.9.2
Card: MSI 5700 XT Gaming

Memory Straps: Micron strap only, 1550 and tREF 9998.
Miner: Phoenix 5.2c

I think there is a problem with the memory straps increase in tREF for the MSI cards. I reverted to the original 1550, and copied the 1550 to all the straps above. The card looks like more stable in HiveOS.

I am going to focus on stabilizing the MSI card in the HiveOS environment. When the bios is final we can optimize the Windows environment. I am sure that many users would want to know about optimizing for Windows.

I think there is a problem with the memory straps increase in tREF for the MSI cards. I reverted to the original 1550, and copied the 1550 to all the straps above. The card looks like more stable in HiveOS.

I am going to focus on stabilizing the MSI card in the HiveOS environment. When the bios is final we can optimize the Windows environment. I am sure that many users would want to know about optimizing for Windows.
For the tREF you can check this value 5990 for the 1550 MHz strap when copying it to the rest after it.

The card with original 1550 straps works good.
I am getting 58.8MHs at 115W using the Power Table for MSI only.

The card with 1550 tREF 5990 (Micron memory only), copied to all the upper frequencies:
58.6MHs at 116W.

Both cases are using these HiveOS parameters:

Anhänge

• Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 3.55.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 3.55.53 PM.png
    80,3 KB · Aufrufe : 87
The card with original 1550 straps works good.
I am getting 58.8MHs at 115W using the Power Table for MSI only.

The card with 1550 tREF 5990 (Micron memory only), copied to all the upper frequencies:
58.6MHs at 116W.

Both cases are using these HiveOS parameters:
Good morning,

I would like to share an advice with you regarding which RX 5700 cards can be modded,

The ones that their power tables can be modded are the silent bios of any card with dual bioses and the reference ones which are the cards with blower fan and Gigabyte cards as they provide the original bios files on their site which are modable and by doing that bypassing the built-in protection of the power play table,

For the rest of the cards which their power play tables are protected, only to modify the vram timings, some of these protected cards can be bypassed by flashing from DOS after disabling secure boot from motherboard bios like explained before and that is all.

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Great news and thank you for your kind update,

I wish you all the best in the future and to live healthy, happy and peaceful life,

Best Wishes.
Thank you very much, and I wish the same to you.

I plan to test Apple mem straps if they could boost performance more. I just need to get mobo for testing.

Is it possible to save optimization parameters made by phoenixminer so it wont re-optimize every time system reboots?
also, my autofan is acting very weirdly (as you can see from fan speed in image). Is there any remedy for this? autofan option says that "remember to disable fan control in miner" but I dont know how to disable fan control in phoenixminer.

Good morning,

I would like to share an advice with you regarding which RX 5700 cards can be modded,

The ones that their power tables can be modded are the silent bios of any card with dual bioses and the reference ones which are the cards with blower fan and Gigabyte cards as they provide the original bios files on their site which are modable and by doing that bypassing the built-in protection of the power play table,

For the rest of the cards which their power play tables are protected, only to modify the vram timings, some of these protected cards can be bypassed by flashing from DOS after disabling secure boot from motherboard bios like explained before and that is all.
Good morning.
Interesting comment. I was not aware that some cards are bios protected. It looks like I was successful on modifying the bios every time I use the amdvbflash tool.

Can you please explain more about the protected mode and how it may be possible to bypass, how to disable the secure boot from the motherboard?

Thanks.
AlleyCat

It has now ran 23 hours with no invalid shares or reboots. I did manual reboot (just to be sure) just to get phoenixminer to optimize new values. And it did...power consumption went down another 20W. Efficiency is now 0.557 and share ratio is 99.95%

Anhang anzeigen 6815

Anhang anzeigen 6816
For some reason, I cannot drop the power below 113W on apparently the same card.

MSI 5700 XT Gaming
HiveOS Kernel 5.6.0-200909-hiveos-beta
Settings: same as the picture above provided by Calathia
Miner: Phoenix 5.1c
Miner settings:
-coin %COIN%
-amd
-acm
-hstats 2
Straps: Stock 1550 to all upper frequencies
Power Table:
- Under Overdrive Limits tab, set:
GFX Maximum Clock 1600 MHz
Memory Maximum Clock 1000 MHz
Power Limit Maximum 0%
Power Limit Minimum 0%

- Under Power and Voltages, set:
Maximum Voltage GFX 900 mv
Maximum Voltage SoC 1200 mv
Minimum Voltage GFX 750 mv
Minimum Voltage SoC 750 mv
Power Limit GPU 140 W
TDC Limit GFX 140 A
TDC Limit SoC 12 A

- Under Frequency tap, set:
GFX Maximum 1200 MHz
Memory DPM 3 - 950 MHz

- Under Fan tab, set:
Zero RPM Enable - YES
Stop Temperature 60° C
Start Temperature 70° C

What is different in my system, or with the card, that prevents the card from operating at greater efficiency?

Thanks,

AlleyCat

For some reason, I cannot drop the power below 113W on apparently the same card.

MSI 5700 XT Gaming
Miner settings:
-coin %COIN%
-amd
-acm
-hstats 2
Power Table:
Power Limit Maximum 0%
Power Limit Minimum 0%

Power Limit GPU 140 W
TDC Limit GFX 140 A
TDC Limit SoC 12 A

GFX Maximum 1200 MHz
Memory DPM 3 - 950 MHz

- Under Fan tab, set:
Zero RPM Enable - YES
Stop Temperature 60° C
Start Temperature 70° C

What is different in my system, or with the card, that prevents the card from operating at greater efficiency?

Thanks,

AlleyCat
Your card is different from his card,
Your card is XT version with 40 compute units, and his card is non XT version with 36 compute units which means a bit less power and performance,

When buying gpu for mining always try to go with non XT version, the XT version is better for gaming.

MSI 5700 XT Gaming
Miner settings:
-coin %COIN%
-amd
-acm
-hstats 2
Power Table:
Power Limit Maximum 0%
Power Limit Minimum 0%

Power Limit GPU 140 W
TDC Limit GFX 140 A
TDC Limit SoC 12 A

GFX Maximum 1200 MHz
Memory DPM 3 - 950 MHz

- Under Fan tab, set:
Zero RPM Enable - YES
Stop Temperature 60° C
Start Temperature 70° C

Thanks,

AlleyCat
Good question...I was pondering this same question myself when I flashed XT bios on my non XT card. Same performance but roughly same power consumption as yours (I couldnt get it under 112W).

Good morning.
Interesting comment. I was not aware that some cards are bios protected. It looks like I was successful on modifying the bios every time I use the amdvbflash tool.

Can you please explain more about the protected mode and how it may be possible to bypass, how to disable the secure boot from the motherboard?

Thanks.
AlleyCat
You can disable the secure boot in the motherboard bios settings after finish flashing the vbios you can enable the secure boot again.

Oben Unten