Question GIGABYTE 5700 XT Bios mod fails

AlleyCat

Veteran
Bewertungspunkte
Hi,
I am failing to update Gigabyte 5700 XT. The same procedure updates the BIOS on MSI cards with no problem. I follow the instructions on Igors Lab.

The sign of having trouble with the card bios flash shows in GPU-Z. After flash using amdvbflash the values of GPU and memory frequencies is empty. With stock bios there are Mhz frequencies.

Is there any known problems with flashing Gigabyte cards?
Any suggestions on what other forums I may ask for assistance?
Is it possible that the OEM bios is signed, and any modified bios will be rejected?
If the bios is signed, any tools to resign, or would I need to buy a card from a different vendor?

Thanks,

Alley Cat

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Changing the power table will make such a big difference?

THIS 👇 👇👇👇👇?
- Under Power and Voltages, set:
Maximum Voltage GFX 1050 mV [must not be lower than this as the MVDD default value in the vbios is at 1350 mV and the VDD must be within 300 mV range with MVDD or memory will get damaged and may die]
Maximum Voltage SoC 1050 mV [must be not lower than this as the MVDD default value in the vbios is at 1350 mV and the VDD must be within 300 mV range with MVDD or memory will get damaged and may die]
Minimum Voltage GFX 750 mV
Minimum Voltage SoC 750 mV
Power Limit GPU 140 W
TDC Limit GFX (112 or 122) A
TDC Limit SoC 12 A

- Under Frequency tap, set:
GFX Maximum 1270 MHz
Memory DPM 3 - 950 MHz

Mine (5600XT and 5700XT Powercolor/XFX/Gigabyte) are running at 76-82 (best mem temps i get on XFXs) without excessive cooling in my mancave XD (a welcomed heater), at least in wintertime, in summer they are going into the cool underground garage and do about the same. I dont really have temp problems.
I'll give it a shot when weekend comes.
Regarding below is only in the vbios to protect the memory getting damaged that might yield to their death on the long run however inside the system one can do what he sees fit especially when capping the max values and some min values as well,

[must not be lower than this as the MVDD default value in the vbios is at 1350 mV and the VDD must be within 300 mV range with MVDD or memory will get damaged and may die]

Regarding the memory, what are your current setting?

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Regarding below is only in the vbios however inside the system one can do what he sees fit especially when capping the max values and some min values as well,

[must not be lower than this as the MVDD default value in the vbios is at 1350 mV and the VDD must be within 300 mV range with MVDD]

Regarding the memory, what are your current setting?
I do not have altered any power tables.
I run the apple timing your tREFs and a fairly conservative voltage tuning on HiveOS around
1420 780/850/1350 910 (57XX)
1280 720/810/1350 910 (56XX)

I rather have it run stable for a long time than squeezing a couple of watts for having an unstable system,
I'm aware i can sure go lower, but it is not really worth it for me to tweak every card for hours and days to get a couple of watts here and some 0,2 hash there.

I do not have altered any power tables.
I run the apple timing your tREFs and a fairly conservative voltage tuning on HiveOS around
1420 780/850/1350 910 (57XX)
1280 720/810/1350 910 (56XX)

I rather have it run stable for a long time than squeezing a couple of watts for having an unstable system,
I'm aware i can sure go lower, but it is not really worth it for me to tweak every card for hours and days to get a couple of watts here and some 0,2 hash there.
Please give the below settings a try for stable 24/7 operating,

Core clock, VDD, Memory clock, VDDCI, MVDD,
1380 MHz, 770 mV, 905 MHz, 845 mV, 1310 mV.

OK, i'll give it a try, all 5700xt are powercolor
I think I never had this combo.
Gonna run this, Samsung and Micron.
They didn't like going below 1400 MHz before but lets see, i'll report back if they like it.

THX

OK, i'll give it a try, all 5700xt are powercolor
I think I never had this combo.
Gonna run this, Samsung and Micron.
They didn't like going below 1400 MHz before but lets see, i'll report back if they like it.

THX
You are very welcome,

If you want to run the core clock at 1400 MHz then VDD should be at 775 mV or 780 mV.

Sorry, i can't do that setting, but I really appreciate all your advise, don't get me wrong.

I just exchanged about 3W less at the wall for 1,25 less MH/s per card with those settings, on a complete stable rig.
That's a loss of 10 MH/s for 24W. I am aware clocking higher will get those back, but not risking it right now with the lowered mem voltage.
It equals to about a dollar and a half a month in electricity.
Thats not worth the hassle imho.

I am planning to build anotherone the next couple of weeks and i will come back to those voltage settings for sure.
Bad timing as well to play around with stable rigs *cough* thanos *cough* etc *cough* bulls *cough* XD
Can't afford a rig down while im sleeping right now, im generally open to test though, just the moment is suboptimal.
I hope you understand.

I promise I'll test this on powercolors.

Sorry, i can't do that setting, but I really appreciate all your advise, don't get me wrong.

I just exchanged about 3W less at the wall for 1,25 less MH/s per card with those settings, on a complete stable rig.
That's a loss of 10 MH/s for 24W. I am aware clocking higher will get those back, but not risking it right now with the lowered mem voltage.
It equals to about a dollar and a half a month in electricity.
Thats not worth the hassle imho.

I am planning to build anotherone the next couple of weeks and i will come back to those voltage settings for sure.
Bad timing as well to play around with stable rigs *cough* thanos *cough* etc *cough* bulls *cough* XD
Can't afford a rig down while im sleeping right now, im generally open to test though, just the moment is suboptimal.
I hope you understand.

I promise I'll test this on powercolors.
If you want to return the 10 MH/s then increase the memory clock to 910 MHz while keeping the power reduction like below and these settings are stable for 24/7 operating as well,

1385 MHz, 770 mV, 910 MHz, 845 mV, 1310 mV.

And if you want to run the core clock at 1400 MHz then VDD should be at 775 mV or 780 mV.

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
If you want to return the 10 MH/s then increase the memory clock to 910 MHz while keeping the power reduction like below and these settings are stable for 24/7 operating as well,

1385 MHz, 770 mV, 910 MHz, 845 mV, 1310 mV.

And if you want to run the core clock at 1400 MHz then VDD should be at 775 mV or 780 mV.
I can actually tell you as a fact that changing mem clock from 905 to 910 has minimal impact (at least with 780/850/1350) on those powercolor 5700XT.
About 0.2-0.3 MH/s.
Changing from 1420 to 1400 will take of a chunk off (about 0.5 MHs).
The drop im talking about is coming from lowering the core frequency (the 1380/1385). Actually everything below 1440 has impact, but the jump from 1420 to 1440 takes a good amount of wattage for similar gains like the 1400 to 1420 change.
Thats what made me end up with 1420 in the first place.

I could probably get the same hashrate with 1420 core and 910 or 905 plus your mem voltages.

I will try when the fork of ETC has cleared up

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
I can actually tell you as a fact that changing mem clock from 905 to 910 has minimal impact (at least with 780/850/1350) on those powercolor 5700XT.
About 0.2-0.3 MH/s.
Changing from 1420 to 1400 will take of a chunk off (about 0.5 MHs).
The drop im talking about is coming from lowering the core frequency (the 1380/1385). Actually everything below 1440 has impact, but the jump from 1420 to 1440 takes a good amount of wattage for similar gains like the 1400 to 1420 change.
Thats what made me end up with 1420 in the first place.

I could probably get the same hashrate with 1420 core and 910 or 905 plus your mem voltages.

I will try when the fork of ETC has cleared up
Thank you very much for your kind update,

Please do remember to keep the ratio between core clock and vdd at 1.8 (default is 1.7) or below as above 1.8 is negative scaling which means less performance, less stability, increased temperature and frequent systems crash and restart on the long run,

for core clock at 1420 MHz, vdd should be 785 mV and best at 790 mV for stable 24/7.

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Bewertungen: dan
Thank you very much for your kind update,

Please do remember to keep the ratio between core clock and vdd at 1.8 (default is 1.7) or below as above 1.8 is negative scaling which means less performance, less stability, increased temperature and frequent systems crash and restart on the long run,

for core clock at 1420 MHz, vdd should be 785 mV abd best at 790 mV for stable 24/7.
Yes, im cheating hahahah im at 1,82, but it is really stable and i can tell you i had my piece with those powercolors being bitchy as hell.
Very sensitive with low voltages or higher mem clocks

Yes, im cheating hahahah im at 1,82, but it is really stable and i can tell you i had my piece with those powercolors being bitchy as hell.
Very sensitive with low voltages or higher mem clocks
When you are facing a card vendor with sensitive power curve then you can change that, I mentioned how to do that in the guide in the kindly attached link below,

Bewertungen: dan
Hello, do you know how to apply these settings using Team Red Miner in Windows? I have applied apple straps, but am not getting the same hash rate as some people here. I am seeing about 55 mh at about 108-109 watts per card in the software. My settings are 1340/725/1790 and those are the only settings I know how to edit. I have applied all the settings you listed in More power tool.

Hello, do you know how to apply these settings using Team Red Miner in Windows? I have applied apple straps, but am not getting the same hash rate as some people here. I am seeing about 55 mh at about 108-109 watts per card in the software. My settings are 1340/725/1790 and those are the only settings I know how to edit. I have applied all the settings you listed in More power tool.
Hello, you can use either AMD wattman or MSI afterburner to set the parameters for core lock, vdd and memory clock,
please give it a try.

I am able to use overdrive n tool to get those settings. When I input the suggested settings it uses about 120watts per card as opposed to 108 per card with my current settings. Should I increase memory and core clock?

I am able to use overdrive n tool to get those settings. When I input the suggested settings it uses about 120watts per card as opposed to 108 per card with my current settings. Should I increase memory and core clock?
No need for overdriventool, return to default settings, after that use MorePowerTool to modify your settings then click on write sppt and reboot the system, after that use AMD wattman or MSI afterburner to set core clock, vdd and memory clock and here the memory clock value is double for example memory clock 910 MHz in HiveOS however in AMD wattman and MSI afterburner is 1820 MHz, It is still possible to set VDDCI and MVDD however in the registry.

@Mini_Me ... Thanks for your work ... i have a question about the tREF value ... why are you use tREF values that related to an refresh time of 7,8us the standard tREF timing from the Original bios is related to an refresh time of 3,8us ... or are my calculations wrong ?

tREF Calc_02.png

this articel is also interesting...

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
has anyone worked with the MSI MECH OC 5700 xt? I have apple straps applied and am working on the other settings now.

@Mini_Me ... Thanks for your work ... i have a question about the tREF value ... why are you use tREF values that related to an refresh time of 7,8us the standard tREF timing from the Original bios is related to an refresh time of 3,8us ... or are my calculations wrong ?

Anhang anzeigen 7681

this articel is also interesting...

Greetings and welcome,

The tREF valus here were optimized by Apple Inc. and are for professional and benchmarking programs and computing purposes, I believe these values when it comes to gaming are not that useful as gaming always prefer less refresh times and timings, I believe they share with the programs the same impact performance when lowering the timings except the tREF.

Oben Unten