Question All kinds of running issues with Vega 56 / 64 - HiveOS

Moldo85

Neuling
Bewertungspunkte
Ladies and gents, please send some VGA help.

Gigabyte Vega 56, bios moded with 64 bios.

Recently I've built a rig of 5x 5700 XT + 5 non-XT cards, adding a Vega that I had lying around since my mining days in 2018.
Windows tested (just this card in a dell workstation) before the rig was built, for over 5 days, absolutely no problem running phoenix miner with: 1100/905 mV // 1150 925 mV.

Now, since I have added this to my hiveOS rig, I cannot for the life of me have the card running for more than 1 hour (in best case) without a crash.
Whatever I do, does not work.

Two things did happen: Either Hashrate drops to ~ 7.7 - 8MH / s after a period of time mining, between 5-30 minutes ~
OR when I start miner - card already hashes with max 8MH / s.

In both cases, usually ANY change to the OC resurrects the card, and it hashes fine, for a while. Seems to be regardless of OC parameters (within reason) that the card runs / crashes. For example, if I have C 1050 M 1075, ad I change to 1060 / 1080, card starts hashing instantly (at the 'expected' speeds in reference to the current OC - and straps -> 42 - 49 MH/s ~).

So far thigs I've tried (and combination of these - probably missing some):

- Run on stock settings
- underclock (900 C / 900 M)
- mild overclock (1080 C / 950 M)
- aggressive overclock (1100 C / 1100 M)
- undervolt
- stock voltage
- 2 different miners (phoenix / TRM)
- 2 different HIVEOS images (latest 1 week ago, and BETA)
- running with custom straps (achieve 49 MH / s at 149W)
- temp monitoring (car doesn't run hot at all)

If any of you have any idea what this could be, please let me know - I feel like ripping the card out of the rig and burying it in the garden :)

Could it be something with the HBCC memory? I don't have a Vega card (yet), but I am interested to get you all fixed so I can fit it myself when mine arrives.

I am not sure how to disable HBCC in Linuc (or if that is even the issue), but this forum seems like a good resource. Best of luck!!! If you get it fixed, please let me know how

Mine work fine. If you overclock them they tend to drop hashrate to 4-7 and cause a reboot. I am on the latest version of HiveOS. I also found that flashing my Vega64 down to the 56 version did not sacrifice hashrate but dod increase stability. Overall I am very pleased with mine!

Thanks. What is your hashrate and most important, hive os Overclocking settings? I want to start out with something that works :))

Hashrate around 53 for the 56s and 54.5 for the 64, but with quite a bit of draw from the wall (Don't ask, because I am unsure about the exact amount and at this point the rig has 12 cards and is stable so I don't want to take anything down to check each card individually).

So, a few things. First, you'll want to set Hive in the web interface to boot into maintenance mode with drivers so you can set the Overclocks and amdmemtweak settings without the miner starting and draining a ton of power (potentially more power than your PSU can supply, resulting in everything shutting down - I know). You will also want to set it so that it boots with GUI (to apply the amdmemtweak settings automatically at boot, more below).

Next, follow my instructions here on how to get your amdmemtweak settings to be applied at boot: https://forum.hiveos.farm/t/help-with-xinit-user-sh-and-saving-amdmemorytweak-strap/20789

My xinit looks like this (note, that the --i and numbers indicate the GPUs the settings are applied to, if your rig is all the same you don't need this)
1610841648412.png

Next, in Hive set your overclocks as the following:

1610841759260.png
GPU0 is actually a Vega64 that has been flashed to the 56 - it is MUCH more stable now. 3 and 6 are actually Vega56s.

Note, this morning there was a Hive update that increased my Vega hashrates, so certainly update to the latest version. Also, I am on the stable branch, I know there were beta images and a version specifically for the Vega cards, but I think all of those improvements have been integrated into the main release.

You may be able to mess with the overclocks and voltages to squeeze a bit more out, please let me (us) know if you get better numbers AND the rig is stable.

Best of luck!!!! And keep in touch on how things go!!!

Thanks
Will try next week.

Some questions.

1) do I keep vega 56 flashed to 56 or reflash to 64

2) which is the latest best hiveos? Is there a specific new version for vega or the generic latest one?

Can you point me which one from.the link?

I just kept my Vega56 as stock BIOS. Flashed the 64 down to 56.

On the downloads page just get the latest stable version (I am not using VEGA specific, but I do have RX cards).
1610979012134.png

I think the Beta and Vega builds are old, and the problems they were meant to address have been merged into the stable build.

me too i have a vega 56 8GB on the way
I dont have hiveos . I just run a miner on a pc
Would you have any tips ? what I should be flashing/doing ?
Thanks

I have to report back.
In Hiveos all the gigabytes vega 56 are hashing with 8mhs.

They do not take any kind of OC! Even a mild 800mhz mem clock kills it.

The amd info says it is stuck in 167Mhz Mem clock.

I am running the latest hiveos 194 and tried 8 different cards!

All other vegas run fine and OC.

Any clue to what is going on?

Sorry, this did not happen to mine. Is the power supply giving enough power?

So all of your vega 64s work, but not the vega 56s? Did you flash the 64s down to 56 vBIOS?

How are you applying your amdmemtweak settings?

Can you share a screenshot of your Hiveos settings so we can see all the cards and the OCs you have set?

My vega 56 powercolor work fine, just the Gigabytes have issues.
I cannot set any OC as they crash.

Timings have tried multiple but have no effect...it is weird

20210127_170518.jpg

So, do you have a script that applies amdmemtweak settings? Can you open and screenshot that as well as taking a screenshot of your hiveos screen with the gpus so I can see the gpu numbers?

This is the script, from a russian forum that i google translated. The timings in the script work fine for Hynix Powercolor. You can see them in the tar.gz file in timings.

I have tried manually applying different timings sugestions.

Now I dont actually know how to desinstall the script :)) However it is not working to be applied automatically (I dont know why). It used to.

So I check current and see regular timings then apply timings, check it and try to Oc, then crashes.

I tried your timings, the ones from github script and the 2 below.

These guys report for the same gifabyte the following timings and OC settings.Screenshot_20210123-233250_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210124-231740_Chrome.jpg

OK. SO IT WAS THE HIVEOS STICK :))

I wrote another one and it is fine...it is not very fast. 44 mhs max, at 860Mem clock.

If I go past 860 Mem clock, it crashes....I will try further adjustments, but at least, it works now!

Oh, Good. So, Let me point you to this:

Here I wrote up how to setup hive to automatically startup and set the amdmemtweak settings.

Hopefully since you figured out that it was the USB stick you can use this to help the setup.

I will add it to the init as well. Thanks.

Final picture :)

Anhänge

• Screenshot_20210128-210604_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210128-210604_Chrome.jpg
    522,9 KB · Aufrufe : 90
Oben Unten