Question All kinds of running issues with Vega 56 / 64 - HiveOS

Moldo85

Neuling
Bewertungspunkte
Ladies and gents, please send some VGA help.

Gigabyte Vega 56, bios moded with 64 bios.

Recently I've built a rig of 5x 5700 XT + 5 non-XT cards, adding a Vega that I had lying around since my mining days in 2018.
Windows tested (just this card in a dell workstation) before the rig was built, for over 5 days, absolutely no problem running phoenix miner with: 1100/905 mV // 1150 925 mV.

Now, since I have added this to my hiveOS rig, I cannot for the life of me have the card running for more than 1 hour (in best case) without a crash.
Whatever I do, does not work.

Two things did happen: Either Hashrate drops to ~ 7.7 - 8MH / s after a period of time mining, between 5-30 minutes ~
OR when I start miner - card already hashes with max 8MH / s.

In both cases, usually ANY change to the OC resurrects the card, and it hashes fine, for a while. Seems to be regardless of OC parameters (within reason) that the card runs / crashes. For example, if I have C 1050 M 1075, ad I change to 1060 / 1080, card starts hashing instantly (at the 'expected' speeds in reference to the current OC - and straps -> 42 - 49 MH/s ~).

So far thigs I've tried (and combination of these - probably missing some):

- Run on stock settings
- underclock (900 C / 900 M)
- mild overclock (1080 C / 950 M)
- aggressive overclock (1100 C / 1100 M)
- undervolt
- stock voltage
- 2 different miners (phoenix / TRM)
- 2 different HIVEOS images (latest 1 week ago, and BETA)
- running with custom straps (achieve 49 MH / s at 149W)
- temp monitoring (car doesn't run hot at all)

If any of you have any idea what this could be, please let me know - I feel like ripping the card out of the rig and burying it in the garden :)

So, now what you want to do is write down your hashrate and watts, so you will be able to record efficiency.

I would recommend using team red miner, version 0.8 did a great job of decreasing power draw.

Next, get your amdmemtweak settings to load on boot, if you try to change them while you are hashing there is a good change the rig will crash. You can use the settings I posted in the hiveos chat, they seem to work well for myself and others. If you need more help here let me know, linux can be tough to learn but is very powerful when you learn it.

After you verify the amdmemtweak settings load on boot (reboot then at the prompt run amdmemtweak -c, then look and make sure the settings listed are what you set), then you can likely bump up the clocks.

Good work!

Ladies and gents, please send some VGA help.

Gigabyte Vega 56, bios moded with 64 bios.

Recently I've built a rig of 5x 5700 XT + 5 non-XT cards, adding a Vega that I had lying around since my mining days in 2018.
Windows tested (just this card in a dell workstation) before the rig was built, for over 5 days, absolutely no problem running phoenix miner with: 1100/905 mV // 1150 925 mV.

Now, since I have added this to my hiveOS rig, I cannot for the life of me have the card running for more than 1 hour (in best case) without a crash.
Whatever I do, does not work.

Two things did happen: Either Hashrate drops to ~ 7.7 - 8MH / s after a period of time mining, between 5-30 minutes ~
OR when I start miner - card already hashes with max 8MH / s.

In both cases, usually ANY change to the OC resurrects the card, and it hashes fine, for a while. Seems to be regardless of OC parameters (within reason) that the card runs / crashes. For example, if I have C 1050 M 1075, ad I change to 1060 / 1080, card starts hashing instantly (at the 'expected' speeds in reference to the current OC - and straps -> 42 - 49 MH/s ~).

So far thigs I've tried (and combination of these - probably missing some):

- Run on stock settings
- underclock (900 C / 900 M)
- mild overclock (1080 C / 950 M)
- aggressive overclock (1100 C / 1100 M)
- undervolt
- stock voltage
- 2 different miners (phoenix / TRM)
- 2 different HIVEOS images (latest 1 week ago, and BETA)
- running with custom straps (achieve 49 MH / s at 149W)
- temp monitoring (car doesn't run hot at all)

If any of you have any idea what this could be, please let me know - I feel like ripping the card out of the rig and burying it in the garden :)
I am having this exact issue, the vega 56 does not like to play well with the other 5700xt. Did you find a solution?

I have tried SybrBlue post/settings but start to crash once i load miner every time

I am having this exact issue, the vega 56 does not like to play well with the other 5700xt. Did you find a solution?

I have tried SybrBlue post/settings but start to crash once i load miner every time
When you run the amdmemtweak command, are you sure you are setting the proper GPUs? you need to make the number after the --i match the GPU number.

I would recommend doing a maintenance startup (load drivers, don't start miner) so you can sort it out and get the Overclocks set in the Hive Settings before the miner tries to start.

Are you sure you are supplying enough power? The power draw reported by the drivers is notoriously off (you actually draw more from the PSU and the wall).

Perhaps post a screenshot of your xinit file so I can see the command you issue at boot as well as a screenshot of your HiveOS GPU listing.

When you run the amdmemtweak command, are you sure you are setting the proper GPUs? you need to make the number after the --i match the GPU number.

I would recommend doing a maintenance startup (load drivers, don't start miner) so you can sort it out and get the Overclocks set in the Hive Settings before the miner tries to start.

Are you sure you are supplying enough power? The power draw reported by the drivers is notoriously off (you actually draw more from the PSU and the wall).

Perhaps post a screenshot of your xinit file so I can see the command you issue at boot as well as a screenshot of your HiveOS GPU listing.

Yes, I set the proper GPU, they were set to GPU 0,1 so the comment should read:

amdmemtweak --i 0,1 --CL 20 --RAS 26 --RCDRD 12 --RCDWR 12 --RC 38 --RP12 --RRDS 3 --RRDL 5 --RTP 6 --FAW 12 --CWL 8 --WTRS 4 --WTRL 9 --WR 13 --REF 24000 --RFC 239

I have it set to GUI enabled, maintenance mode with drivers so I can change settings.

It is a B250 mining expert board with 2x 750w PSU connected to it, which should be enough for 6 cards.

The 5700xt seem perfectly happy using the settings you have, humming along around 57.6 MH

Anhänge

• 4 cards.png
    4 cards.png
    61,1 KB · Aufrufe : 35
Yes, I set the proper GPU, they were set to GPU 0,1 so the comment should read:

amdmemtweak --i 0,1 --CL 20 --RAS 26 --RCDRD 12 --RCDWR 12 --RC 38 --RP12 --RRDS 3 --RRDL 5 --RTP 6 --FAW 12 --CWL 8 --WTRS 4 --WTRL 9 --WR 13 --REF 24000 --RFC 239

I have it set to GUI enabled, maintenance mode with drivers so I can change settings.

It is a B250 mining expert board with 2x 750w PSU connected to it, which should be enough for 6 cards.

The 5700xt seem perfectly happy using the settings you have, humming along around 57.6 MH
Ok, what GPUs numbers are the Vegas when connected? Can you include a picture with the Vegas? On my system it places them between the 5700s, so I have to be careful when connecting / disconnecting cards. The overclocks for the 5700s will cause the system to crash if it tried to apply it to Vegas, and the reverse is true as well.

Here they are. I reinstalled using different risers just in case but with these settings, i get a high LA, 3 cards including the 2 vega dont start mining and then it crashes.

Anhänge

• init.png
    init.png
    16,5 KB · Aufrufe : 27
  • 6 cards.png
    6 cards.png
    83,5 KB · Aufrufe : 34
I think I may have found it (maybe). In your xinit file it reads --RP12, it should be --RP 12 (the space between "RP" and "12" is important).

I don't know if that is what is causing the issue, but I would certainly look.

Also, I use TeamRedMiner. I don't know if it matters, but you might as well change to using that as well to make sure.

It might also be worth posting a screenshot of the miner output. Just type "miner" when it boots and it will take you to the log screen for the miner.

Forgot to check back on this... a great catch, that was off. I'm not sure how many times I must have looked at that but didn't see it. Unfortunately, it didn't help achieve the numbers you have but I did take them out and test them separately in another rig until I figured out a stable number. I did decide to try out redminer from phoenixminer since I only have AMD cards. I am waiting for a new power supply to come in since one of my PSU failed so only 4/6 cards are up but here is the current setup, it is stable but I think it still has some room for tweaking.

Anhänge

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    42,6 KB · Aufrufe : 33
Hashrate around 53 for the 56s and 54.5 for the 64, but with quite a bit of draw from the wall (Don't ask, because I am unsure about the exact amount and at this point the rig has 12 cards and is stable so I don't want to take anything down to check each card individually).

So, a few things. First, you'll want to set Hive in the web interface to boot into maintenance mode with drivers so you can set the Overclocks and amdmemtweak settings without the miner starting and draining a ton of power (potentially more power than your PSU can supply, resulting in everything shutting down - I know). You will also want to set it so that it boots with GUI (to apply the amdmemtweak settings automatically at boot, more below).

Next, follow my instructions here on how to get your amdmemtweak settings to be applied at boot: https://forum.hiveos.farm/t/help-with-xinit-user-sh-and-saving-amdmemorytweak-strap/20789

My xinit looks like this (note, that the --i and numbers indicate the GPUs the settings are applied to, if your rig is all the same you don't need this)
Anhang anzeigen 9967

Next, in Hive set your overclocks as the following:

Anhang anzeigen 9968
GPU0 is actually a Vega64 that has been flashed to the 56 - it is MUCH more stable now. 3 and 6 are actually Vega56s.

Note, this morning there was a Hive update that increased my Vega hashrates, so certainly update to the latest version. Also, I am on the stable branch, I know there were beta images and a version specifically for the Vega cards, but I think all of those improvements have been integrated into the main release.

You may be able to mess with the overclocks and voltages to squeeze a bit more out, please let me (us) know if you get better numbers AND the rig is stable.

Best of luck!!!! And keep in touch on how things go!!!
Hi, how did you get more than 57 MH for the 5700XT? Is it possible to do that without doing BIOS mod? I have 2x 5700XT and I don not want to BIOS mod.

Hi there ,
Just wanted to add mine
Vega 64 flashed to 56
After a few weeks running now stable :
1613422467647.png

This is a Radeon 64 but flashed with STOCK 56 Sapphire ROM:
Sapphire.RXVega56.8176.170811.rom
REALLY REALLY A MUST ! The Stock 64 bios crashes all the time ! No one should even bother without changing the bios to VEGA 56.
64 is such a headache

Then i apply via 'xinet' , at start this :

amdmemtweak --i 2 -–CL 20 --RAS 26 --RCDRD 12 --RCDWR 12 --RC 38 --RP 12 --RRDS 3 --RRDL 5 --RTP 6 --FAW 12 --CWL 8 --WTRS 4 --WTRL 9 --WR 13 --WRRD 1 --RDWR 17 --REF 23000 --MRD 8 --MOD 12 --PD 6 --CKSRE 8 --CKSRX 8 --RFC 239

This is running on LOLMiner . Mining dual ETH + ZIL Mixed in the rig 1 x RX480, 2 x 5700XT and a NVidia1660ti
It can does 52 MHhs in TRM if i run the 1660ti separate.

A tip i caught learning OC
When it crashes do not assume ONE reboot fixes the card and resets all .
The GPU 'threads' sometimes stay beyond a restart and a another one might be necessary to really clear the cards
Also , don't apply OC when mining . I learned if you just stop miner then immediately send OC update and the click on miner restart its the quickest and safest way to try settings .

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
These are my settings.

1613742782603.png
Can't get mor than 46,69 Mh/s with normal Vega 56 Bios on Vega 56 and straps.
How can you guys get ~52 Mh/s? Is it a modded Bios?
Thanks

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
I can only get it to run at 52Mhs using TRM .
On lolminer or phoenix miner its like yours 46Mhs
I have a single fan version and its runs smooth at 46

Oben Unten