Question Powercolor red devil 5700xt power consumption too high after bios mod. How do i drop it?

triscope

Mitglied
Bewertungspunkte
Hi I have a powercolor red devil 5700xt. I recently followed mini-me's guide on page 2 of one of the treads in hope of reducing power consumption. Originally I was pulling 116w and this was with an already modded bios with 1500 memory straps copied only and tref of 6000. Now after following the guide, power consumption seems to have jumped by about 8 watts. I'm on win 10 using the latest team red miner 0.8.2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I forgot to mention at what frequency and voltage I run the card at.
Core 1270 @ 730mv
Mem 1860
Fan 60%

So just a correction. I just switched back to my old bios and the power consumption is actually the same. Mini-me's guide actually drooped it from 123w vs 121w. Not a big deal but it's there. I don't know why I used to see 116w. I recently switched over from TRM 0.8.1 to 0.8.2. I'm wondering if that's what did it. I'll test the old version and see of there is a difference.

So just a correction. I just switched back to my old bios and the power consumption is actually the same. Mini-me's guide actually drooped it from 123w vs 121w. Not a big deal but it's there. I don't know why I used to see 116w. I recently switched over from TRM 0.8.1 to 0.8.2. I'm wondering if that's what did it. I'll test the old version and see of there is a difference.
Greetings,

Have you checked the power at the wall yet or only relying on HiveOS reading as sometimes it is not accurate?

1) should I also set soc amperage from 15 to 14?
2) is it worth downloading a 5700 non XT bios? I heard some people doing that but not clear if it really works.
3) by decreasing power limit, would this have an impact on hashrate?
Regarding point 1 and 2, the difference in the outcome might unnoticed however point 3 is worth a try.

So I tried putting power limit down to 140w and current to 125 and soc at 14. Still at around 120w. At wall that pulls about around 160w. Anything else I could try? I put mem at 1870 and core at 1270mhz @720mv. Getting 57.4mh/s

So I tried putting power limit down to 140w and current to 125 and soc at 14. Still at around 120w. At wall that pulls about around 160w. Anything else I could try? I put mem at 1870 and core at 1270mhz @720mv. Getting 57.4mh/s
Please use the power limits below for your card,

Power limit 130 watt,
TDC GFX 135 A,
TDC SoC 15.

Ok will try that. However I would like to know what the difference between flashing this hard-coded power limit vs using the driver to adjust power limit %+-. Isn't it the same thing in the end?

Ok will try that. However I would like to know what the difference between flashing this hard-coded power limit vs using the driver to adjust power limit %+-. Isn't it the same thing in the end?
In an operating system then yes however in the vbios things are a bit different.

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
In an operating system then yes however in the vbios things are a bit different.
So I tried the latest settings you suggested and still did not make much of a difference. I'm starting to wonder if it's just the way this card consumes power. Maybe they use different voltage regulators that aren't as efficient? I recently changed the thermal compound and heating pads on the memory. It dropped the temperatures by like 20 degrees. Still no change in power consumption however.

Oben Unten