Frage SolidWorks with 12900K DDR4 vs DDR5 (Rebuild time)

Zazz

Mitglied
Bewertungspunkte
I just bought my new setup. i9-12900K with a Gigabyte Z690i Aorus Ultra DDR4, all settings by default except for XMP.

My setup (SW2021 SP4.1) scores only 1.90 points in CPU Rebuild Composite compared to Igorslabs 2.89. So DDR5 seems to speed up rebuild time in SolidWorks significantly. I tested to down-clock my DDR4 to only 2133Mhz and rebuild time score surprisingly INCREASED to 2.04 points :-o. Other benchmarks are in line with other testers online...

Anyother SolidWorks users here who have seen similar results?

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Interesting finding, but...

XMP is mostly shit. Try DDR4 3733 Gear 1 and read please our article about DDR4 with the last three Intel generations ;)

Hi, I have read your article. But it is DDR5s relation to SolidWorks i'm interested of.

I run old 3200 CL15 and you get 44% faster rebuild time regardless if i run them at 2133mhz or at 3200mhz... So my only conclusion is that DDR5 do magic with SolidWorks rebuild time, or it is a typo. I really hope for the "do magic" though :-D haha. At overclocking 2 cores to 5.5ghz, i get a rebuild score of 2.22 points... Still not even near your 2.89 points... The rebuild time in SW is painfully slow so i hope it is as easy as changing my rig to a DDR5 after all. But have to wait a few month due to lack of DDR5 availability.

Anyone else here who can confirm SolidWorks rebuild time benefits DDR5 compare to DDR4?

I think, it is a bit toooooo special ;)

11900K and DDR4
1638267872461.png

Solidworks gets a bigger benefit from DDR5 than most games.

12900K and DDR5 as evidence - no fake or typo:
1638268148770.png

Great, thanks. I never said it was fake :) HIGHLY appreciated, Thanks again.

You are the OLNY one who includes SolidWorks in your articles nowadays or even SPECviewperf, even though there are 20 million CAD users out there, probably many more than video-editor users, opposite what every other PC reviewer seems to think. Keep up your great work IgorsLAB team.

Back to rebuilt points, It may be the Win11 then, as you got such high value on 11900/DDR4 at stock even though SW still doen't support win11, at least last time i checked a week ago. I will install win11 immediately and do some test and get back here with the results

THANKS again

Yea, it seems it is win 11 that speeds up the rebuild time in this benchmark, but not in real time. I have a part that takes 0,38/1,00/1,13 minutes (Rebuild/Pattern visuals/Gen graphics) regardless if win 10 or 11 plus/minus 2 seconds...

Another thing i have noticed is that my RTX 3080 (OC 2150mhz) always maxed out to 100% before, but now seems to be capped at between 40-75%. I have always scored graphics composite around 5 points with my old 11900K and almost matching an A6000. Even by reverting to older drivers, the card is still capped. This is now a fresh Win11 and SW5.1 installation with an old driver V456.71 and the RTX is still capped. I sold my sold Quadro P4000 (Pascal) as my RTX rotated my main assembly at 9 fps compare to 2-3, witch was impossible to work with... Now the RTX is down to 4-5 fps. So obviously a driver can modify the hardware micro code in some way without the need of a bios update.

1638289822758.png

I saw that you had a 150% graphical scaling, so i ran the test again with same 150% and got 3.03 rebuild points. Not sure if scaling affects the rebuild though. Graphical score stayed almost the same.

1638292214086.png

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Windows 11 is a lot faster than 10 :)
Alder Lake needs 11 to run normal.

So it seems. DDR5 won't add any performance to SW, at least not for now. But i ALREADY HATE win 11 :mad:😂 yea, really, So i will wait to use it on a everyday-machine... Thanks for your replies in here. Good night

@Zazz
Same for me Windows 11 is not yet ready to rumble. ;)

But Solidworks is only one small part of the 3D CAD Software outside there.
I work with Polyworks but only to confirm 3D Measurement Funktions. ;)

Also interresting is Color 3D Scanning, that is not supported over all, but with Geomagic Design X ;)

P.S. we use a HP Workstation Laptop with Intel 8700K CPU and 64GByte of DDR4 RAM. Works on the Edge...

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
@Zazz
Same for me Windows 11 is not yet ready to rumble. ;)

But Solidworks is only one small part of the 3D CAD Software outside there.
I work with Polyworks but only to confirm 3D Measurement Funktions. ;)

Also interresting is Color 3D Scanning, that is not supported over all, but with Geomagic Design X ;)

P.S. we use a HP Workstation Laptop with Intel 8700K CPU and 64GByte of DDR4 RAM. Works on the Edge...
I think SolidWorks is the one single biggest CAD software nowadays actually. They have sold over 3.5 million licenses worldwide. But in general, EVERY computer reviewers out there are using the same tests, Some should do it little different and aim for other professionals other than video, graphic and image editing people only. Tomshardware.com stopped using Specviewperf a few month which runs many engineering software in one simple test suit. So IgorLab is the last one to hang on to for dare life now, by supporting them by clicking on there advertisements... Haha :-D

Ha! Nice toy :)
I'm falling in love for good equipment :D

I have a Faro Gage Plus Arm :)
Really ?
Are you stay in the USA?

The Gage Plus is FARO best Accuracy for tactile Measurement.
But the working Volume is not that big (4 Foot) and it has no Laser Line Probe, only tactil.

I am on the Europe Side to get Customers in Europe the shortest Time for Service and re-certification (Car Industry and also Forensic and Medical)

Our new QuantumS Max goes up to 5 Meter Working Volume and with the new V7 LLP there are a lot of cases to speed up Quality checks.

I have 18 Years experience in Compensation & Calibration (USA: Calibration and Certification) of FARO Arm Devices and LLPs. ;)

Edit:
If some one wants to know more: https://media.faro.com/-/media/Proj...c6ae1f5&hash=D3CA7ABAE140836462C7C7E475A3D33C

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
EVERY computer reviewers out there are using the same tests
A 3DMark license key is cheap, a Solidworks key isn't ... and several other stuff Igor is using.
I think there are only very few other testers who are diving so deep into such a broad variety of software when testing hardware.

Oben Unten