Question Microsoft Edge search opens OKSearch to a different site

redlabour

Mitglied
Bewertungspunkte
Standort
Wuppertal
edit by helpstar in english (shortened)

Hi,
I have the problem for 3 days that the search will end up using OKSearch to show a different but equal site.

This is happening while using the address bar and by clicking on any search result using google.

Google is the default search, did delete others. Edge was resetted, without success.

It´s not all the time and randomly, not reproducible

Norton IS and HijackThis was running through without showing any malware

Regedit doesn´t find any entry of OKSearch.

My DNS is AU Cloudflare

Any ideas?

Hi,

ich habe seit 2-3 Tagen das Phänomen das Edge manche Suchanfrage plötzlich über eine OKSearch URL (nur kurz in der Adresszeile sichtbar) auf irgendeine andere thematisch ähnliche Seite umleitet.

Das passiert bei Suche über die Adressleiste als auch beim anklicken von Suchergebnissen nach vorheriger Google Suche.

Google ist die Standardsuchmaschine und alle anderen Suchmaschinen sind gelöscht. Edge habe ich bereits zurückgesetzt - ohne Erfolg.

Das ganze passiert nur sporadisch ab und zu - nicht reproduzierbar.

Norton IS habe ich heute Nacht das ganze System checken lassen. HijackThis hat auch nichts entsprechendes ausgespuckt. Es sind keine unseriösen Erweiterungen installiert.

Per regedit finde ich auch keinen Registry Eintrag der OKSearch heisst. Als DNS nutze ich AU Cloudflare.

Irgendjemand eine Idee?

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator :
Lösung
edit by helpstar:
english (shortened):
had the same problem. It was a fake extension of Edge. e.g. NordVPN was causing the issue to go to the oksearch site

Hallo zusammen,

ich hatte ein ähnliches Problem. Bei der Fehlersuche ist mir aufgefallen, dass eine gefälschte Extension der Grund war. Zur Zeit scheinen Angreifer Extensions aus dem Chrome Store zu kopieren, Malware hinzuzufügen und in den MS Edge Store zu laden.

Beispielsweise NordVPN. Die Extension ist im MS Store, verursacht die Weiterleitung auf oksearch und NordVPN unterstützt Edge noch gar nicht... Die Extension sieht allerdings genau richtig aus und funktioniert auch.

Ich hoffe das hilft weiter.
edit by helpstar in english (shortened)
saw two version of cookie extensino:
"Dont care about cookies" and the more reputable "I don´t care about cookies"

Ich habe gesehen, dass es da zwei Versionen gibt, die fast identisch heißen.
habe jetzt mal das "Dont care about cookies" durch das deutlich seriöser wirkende "I dont care about cookies" ersetzt

Open EDGE in safe mode (without extension/addons running) or reset Edge with uninstalling/deleting all extensions

Hi

I have been the phenomenon for 2-3 days the edge suddenly redirects some search query via an OKSearch URL (only briefly visible in the address bar) to some other thematically similar page.

This happens when searching via the address bar as well as when clicking search results after previous Google search.

Google is the default search engine and all other search engines are deleted. I've already reset Edge - to no avail.

The whole thing happens only sporadically from time to time - not reproducible.

Norton IS I had the whole system checked tonight. HijackThis hasn't spit anything out of it either. There are no rogue extensions installed.

Per regedit I also can't find a registry entry that is called OKSearch. I use AU Cloudflare as DNS.

Someone an idea?

Sorry, I don't know German. But I am having the same problem and discovered the following Reddit thread where others have reported it.

That thread actually refers to your forum (but I found your forum first). I think anyone here has the same problem should post in the Reddit thread to keep all discussion in one place.

This definitely feels like malware but nobody has been able to isolate a cause. And I know I am VERY CAREFUL about what software and sites I use.

edit by helpstar:
english (shortened):
had the same problem. It was a fake extension of Edge. e.g. NordVPN was causing the issue to go to the oksearch site

Hallo zusammen,

ich hatte ein ähnliches Problem. Bei der Fehlersuche ist mir aufgefallen, dass eine gefälschte Extension der Grund war. Zur Zeit scheinen Angreifer Extensions aus dem Chrome Store zu kopieren, Malware hinzuzufügen und in den MS Edge Store zu laden.

Beispielsweise NordVPN. Die Extension ist im MS Store, verursacht die Weiterleitung auf oksearch und NordVPN unterstützt Edge noch gar nicht... Die Extension sieht allerdings genau richtig aus und funktioniert auch.

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator :
Lösung
Hallo zusammen,

I can confirm this now! My extension "Adguard VPN" from the MS Edge Add-ons library definitely causes this behaviour, and I've inspected the code of the extension and found several signs that it was modified maliciously. My full report / comments can be found at Reddit here:

If you have this problem, DISABLE YOUR EXTENSIONS IMMEDIATELY since one is probably malware, and it can probably spy on EVERYTHING YOU BROWSE AND TYPE. It's really bad news.

So in this respect it´s very interesting that neither Norton nor any other firewall/virus guards are able to identify and/or remove that extension.
Obviously the implementation of those security tools (at least into Edge) are still not fully developed so far. As as my brother in law always says: They´re all snake oil. Does anyone have the same problems with Firefox, Opera or Chrome ?

Oben Unten