LGA1700 “Washer mod” Teil 2 – Mainboards, ILM-Hersteller und Kühler im Vorher-Nachher-Vergleich | Praxis

Redaktion

Artikel-Butler
Mitarbeiter
Bewertungspunkte
Standort
Redaktion
Wie versprochen gibt es heute Teil 2 zum „Washermod“, in dem wir noch ein paar Kombinationen an verschiedenen Mainboards, Sockel-Herstellern und Kühlern im Vorher-Nachher-Test mit der Modifikation beurteilen wollen. Um noch einmal kurz zusammenzufassen, worum es beim Washermod geht: Es werden Unterlegscheiben (Englisch: washers) zwischen Mainboard und ILM (Independant Loading Mechanism) des LGA1700 Sockels installiert, (read full article...)

By the way, these are washers, which according to my measurements are relatively accurate and constant with the dimensions: 1.02 +- 0.2 mm

(no affiliate)

In fact, I already had a message where one of the 4 Torx screws was simply 0.25 mm too short and then with the mod the thread of the backplate could no longer be grasped. After a little back and forth it went then, but already strange, when the dimension is set to 8.75 mm and then still 0.25 mm tolerance may be....
just to be clear, plastic should not mean PVC since it melts at 177c and deforms lower than that. PTFE is probably excessively soft and will deform over time with pressure, Nylon is the best choice but it melts at 220c so better be sure to not get the system overheated.

to be realistic, to be true "German engineering" would require a separate computer controller and four-point hydraulic controls to adjust the socket retention pressure...

Cheers!​

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Wie versprochen gibt es heute Teil 2 zum „Washermod“, in dem wir noch ein paar Kombinationen an verschiedenen Mainboards, Sockel-Herstellern und Kühlern im Vorher-Nachher-Test mit der Modifikation beurteilen wollen. Um noch einmal kurz zusammenzufassen, worum es beim Washermod geht: Es werden Unterlegscheiben (Englisch: washers) zwischen Mainboard und ILM (Independant Loading Mechanism) des LGA1700 Sockels installiert, (read full article...)
Durch die UnterlagsScheiben dürfte aber auch die Distanzhülsen (z.b. Noctua) des Kühlers auch nicht mehr passen und demnach zu wenig Anpressdruck erzeugen und somit weniger Kühlleistung bringen.
Oder übersehe ich da etwas?
Lg. Jopi

Durch die UnterlagsScheiben dürfte aber auch die Distanzhülsen (z.b. Noctua) des Kühlers auch nicht mehr passen und demnach zu wenig Anpressdruck erzeugen und somit weniger Kühlleistung bringen.
Oder übersehe ich da etwas?
Lg. Jopi
Ja du übersiehst das der Spannmechanismus nur angehoben wird aber der Kühler auf den IHS aufliegt, an dessen Höhe ändert sich nichts. Der Spannmechanismus ist an den Seiten der CPU und deutlich unterhalb der Oberkante des IHS. Das hat mit der Kühlung nichts zu tun, nur mit dem Druck der CPU gegen den Sockelrahmen auf Plaste.

Entschuldigung für die von Google übersetzte Antwort.
Ist es möglich, dass neue Mainboards mit einem erhöhten ILM kommen? Ich habe mein neues Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 erhalten und es hat kleine Plastikstreifen unter dem ILM. Oder sollte ich die Unterlegscheibe trotzdem zwischen dem ILM und dem Kunststoffstreifen anbringen?
1651868638858.png

Entschuldigung für die von Google übersetzte Antwort.
Ist es möglich, dass neue Mainboards mit einem erhöhten ILM kommen? Ich habe mein neues Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 erhalten und es hat kleine Plastikstreifen unter dem ILM. Oder sollte ich die Unterlegscheibe trotzdem zwischen dem ILM und dem Kunststoffstreifen anbringen?
Anhang anzeigen 18910
No worries mate, I assume English is easier for you. I've actually heard of such spacers for the third time now, being included from the manufacturers out of the box. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find such a sample yet and compare it with launch boards.

Regarding washers, you can try if the screws can still grab the backplate with washers. If they don't grab with 0.5 mm of washers, the spacer is at least 0.8mm higher than what we used as testing basis, as 1.3mm was our total washer height limit.

If you don't have any washers handy, you can also just try and test how temps are without any modifications and maybe check the thermal paste spread for a "lake" in the centre and pressure lines at the top and bottom of the IHS. ;)

No worries mate, I assume English is easier for you. I've actually heard of such spacers for the third time now, being included from the manufacturers out of the box. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find such a sample yet and compare it with launch boards.

Regarding washers, you can try if the screws can still grab the backplate with washers. If they don't grab with 0.5 mm of washers, the spacer is at least 0.8mm higher than what we used as testing basis, as 1.3mm was our total washer height limit.

If you don't have any washers handy, you can also just try and test how temps are without any modifications and maybe check the thermal paste spread for a "lake" in the centre and pressure lines at the top and bottom of the IHS. ;)
Thanks for the quick response!
I had already bought some washers to be prepared, that's why I noticed the black plastic spacer when I removed the ILM. I squeezed the washers between that plastic spacer and the ILM, because on some part of the mainboard there seem to run some electrical lines under the ILM. My metal washers seem to be 0,8mm thick (I stacked 10 and measured with a ruler;-)
The ILM screws still grabbed and I was able to tighten the ILM properly. I inserted the CPU (i7-12700F) and the lever still required some pressure to lock the CPU, so that seems to work fine. Assembling the cooler (Gelid Phantom with 1700 kit) introduced new issue due to the heightened ILM, so I had to add 2 additional washers on each of the screws before some of the parts didn't stand crooked anymore, because it was touching parts of the ILM. Later in the weekend I'll continue with this project, but I think the spring screws of the Phantom cooler will put enough pressure on the CPU anyway (if I can get them attached, they're horribly tight).

Thanks for the quick response!
I had already bought some washers to be prepared, that's why I noticed the black plastic spacer when I removed the ILM. I squeezed the washers between that plastic spacer and the ILM, because on some part of the mainboard there seem to run some electrical lines under the ILM. My metal washers seem to be 0,8mm thick (I stacked 10 and measured with a ruler;-)
The ILM screws still grabbed and I was able to tighten the ILM properly. I inserted the CPU (i7-12700F) and the lever still required some pressure to lock the CPU, so that seems to work fine. Assembling the cooler (Gelid Phantom with 1700 kit) introduced new issue due to the heightened ILM, so I had to add 2 additional washers on each of the screws before some of the parts didn't stand crooked anymore, because it was touching parts of the ILM. Later in the weekend I'll continue with this project, but I think the spring screws of the Phantom cooler will put enough pressure on the CPU anyway (if I can get them attached, they're horribly tight).
That's interesting because the raising of the ILM should never interfere with the mounting mechanism of the cooler.
The CPU is still at the same height as before and the ILM must sit lower than the IHS, since you said it still took force to close it.

Are you sure that you screwed the ILM screws all the way back in? I once had a badly threaded screw get kinda stuck making me think it was tightened while it wasnt, so it actually caused one corner so sit higher than the other 3, interfering with my waterblock.

Hey guys. I have a few questions for you. I have ordered these 2 CPU contact frames:

I plan to put them on a MSI Z690 Pro-A DDR4 board with a 13700KF. I also have a first generation Arctic Liquid Freezer 360 with a 3 x 120mm Arctic PWM push fans + 3 x 140mm Arctic pull fans. So far it's very good, but I would like to be safe and not worry about bendingGATE with the contact frame.

Should I need to sand down and lap my coldplate on the Arctic Liquid Freezer?
Also what do you think, which one of these two is better?
The first one is Finalcool and not the Thermalright because I wanted it to come faster and this type was in stock in France, and it will get much sooner to Berlin rather than from China.
The other one is TEUCER, and it is also in stocked in France and should come here in a few days.

Hey guys. I have a few questions for you. I have ordered these 2 CPU contact frames:

I plan to put them on a MSI Z690 Pro-A DDR4 board with a 13700KF. I also have a first generation Arctic Liquid Freezer 360 with a 3 x 120mm Arctic PWM push fans + 3 x 140mm Arctic pull fans. So far it's very good, but I would like to be safe and not worry about bendingGATE with the contact frame.

Should I need to sand down and lap my coldplate on the Arctic Liquid Freezer?
Also what do you think, which one of these two is better?
The first one is Finalcool and not the Thermalright because I wanted it to come faster and this type was in stock in France, and it will get much sooner to Berlin rather than from China.
The other one is TEUCER, and it is also in stocked in France and should come here in a few days.
Hard to tell in advance, because every cpu, frame, cooler, motherboard combination bends slightly differently.

I would leave the coldplate stock for the start and check the pressure image of the thermal paste after mounting. With the frame, you should ideally have contact in the center or across the whole surface. I don't think with an aio it's worth to sand down the coldplate.

Oben Unten