Question Is my Seasonic Tx-850W going bad? Shutdown once

sew333

Mitglied
Bewertungspunkte
Hi dear users. I have had an problem today.

My pc:
Seasonic PRIME TX-850 80Plus Titanium 850W
10850K stock 4800mhz stock Kraken X73 good temps
2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP
Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium
Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming ( 2x8 pin , 2 separate cables )
Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming
1 TB SSD

I bought pc in march 2021. No single issue,no reboots,no shutdowns. I played all games for many hours,no issues. Today…i launched Metro Exodus and after cinematic when is press E button part pc just shutdown. I rebooted again and its fine again.

Happened when gpu load change from 0% to 99%.

My question is. It was psu issue or maybe other hardware?

I remember that when pc goes off ,pc case lights flickered once and monitor flickered. That not happens when i shutting down manually.

i am running now game and no shutdowns. Happened today once. Also i have pc until march 2021 and thats like today never happened.

Is psu going just bad,rma or what you recommend for me. Thank you

ps:
ps:
I repeated launching game maybe 50 times again and no shutdown.
Happened once.
PS:
I am not german sorry for english. Danke

Ok then it wasn't the whole local power grid (and therefore your whole home's electrical installation),
but something that only affected one room or even only those two devices (PC and monitor).

Are both devices (PC and monitor) connected to the same mulitsocket?
If yes, what quality is it?
Does it have its own protective circuits like surge or overcurrent protection?
How does your wall outlet socket look like?
Maybe some sort of loose connection or bad wiring is hidden somewhere within the plugs/cables/wiring connecting these two devices to your home electrical installation.
...maybe you even stepped on the power cable, because you were so exited to get started after the great cinematics of Metro Exodus :D

Sounds far fetched, I know.
But again: Why would the monitor flicker when the PC shut down?
There must be some hidden correlation that makes this simultaneous behaviour logical/replicable.

I think it was not power off and on by monitor , because there was not AORUS monitor logo on screen. Always when i power off/on monitor AORUS logo will appear for a moment.

But this time monitor just said NO SIGNAL after 10 seconds. ( without AORUS logo ). So power was on house. It said NO SIGNAL after 10 seconds. No AORUS logo like when turning off/on monitor. So monitor was powered during that time i think. Yes it flicker but without AORUS logo. :)

PC and monitor are connected to the same power cord. Also laptop and router dont notice anything.Laptop doesnt change to battery mode ( event logs ) . Router dont reset because wifi was on laptop still.

And why pc stayed off but not rebooted?

Sorry for my bad english

meilodasreh. Really greatful for helping.​

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Hello, if I understood it right:

The AORUS Logo only appears if the System make a complete Boot / Initialisation.
If you dont change, what should happens if the Power Button is pressed in the Windows Power Settings, it goes to Hybernation Mode and not classical shut down.

Its possible that this Setting will reset if any Windows Features Update was installed.

Let me know if you need visual assistance how to set.

AORUS Logo apperas on monitor display when i just powering on monitor.Its other Aorus logo coming from monitor/display. Not that Aorus logo when system is booting.

AORUS Logo apperas on monitor display when i just powering on monitor.Its other Aorus logo coming from monitor/display. Not that Aorus logo when system is booting.
Alright, excuse me.

I don´t see that Information (GigaByte Monitor) in the previous Posts.
Thanks for clarification. ;)

P.S. it´s not your PSU, maybe instable RAM settings... Cold Boot, means below 15°C.

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
I'm sorry, but you said
I remember that when pc goes off ,pc case lights flickered once and monitor flickered
To clarify:
There really was NO flickering, but the Monitor just turned black and then its OSD showed the message "no signal"?
Then this is absolutely normal behavior, because the PC turned off whilst the monitor stayed on. Just the same as if you switch on only the monitor, without anything connected to the signal input sockets.

It happened once i cant reproduce anymore.
If you would still decide to initiate RMA,
I would strongly expect that your PSU will be sent back to you with note:
"fully functional/working as intended/described failure could not be reproduced during test procedure"
They have some standard checks, and if it passes, they won't look any closer.
Of course these are stress tests, but if you couldn't reproduce it yourself, and it is working just fine for months now...
well, you would have to give them more than just
"had an issue once, can't reproduce it, could have happened because of a thousand reasons, but maybe it's your product, so I sent it to you"

btw, you really have chosen a high quality PSU, which comes with a 12 year warranty. So no reason to get nervous.

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
I'm sorry, but you said

To clarify:
There really was NO flickering, but the Monitor just turned black and then its OSD showed the message "no signal"?
Then this is absolutely normal behavior, because the PC turned off whilst the monitor stayed on. Just the same as if you switch on only the monitor, without anything connected to the signal input sockets.

If you would still decide to initiate RMA,
I would strongly expect that your PSU will be sent back to you with note:
"fully functional/working as intended/described failure could not be reproduced during test procedure"
They have some standard checks, and if it passes, they won't look any closer.
Of course these are stress tests, but if you couldn't reproduce it yourself, and it is working just fine for months now...
well, you would have to give them more than just
"had an issue once, can't reproduce it, could have happened because of a thousand reasons, but maybe it's your product, so I sent it to you"

btw, you really have chosen a high quality PSU, which comes with a 12 year warranty. So no reason to get nervous.
You said:"To clarify:
There really was NO flickering, but the Monitor just turned black and then its OSD showed the message "no signal"?"

Yes,monitor just turned black and then its OSD showed the message "no signal"

Yes, but why OSD showed the message "no signal" after 10 seconds after shutdown?When i normally shutdown pc, monitor will remain on standby mode without no signal message.

I don't get the point of your last statement.
We are talking about a spontaneous/abnormal power loss like system stop, compared to a normal windows shut down.
Of course the monitor isn't necessarily showing the same behaviour in both cases.

What does your monitor show when you switch it on without the PC? I would guess "no signal" after about 10secs?

And then: what does it show when you start windows and the monitor normally, and when everything is up, then cold-kill the pc by switching it hard-OFF via the switch at the back of the PSU?

1.Monitor show when i switch it on without the PC, NO SIGNAL but after 1 second immidiatelly. (not after 10 seconds ).

2. When i start windows and the monitor normally, and when everything is up, then cold-kill the pc by switching it hard-OFF via the switch at the back of the PSU. Then monitor just turns black and off to standby mode ( orange light ), without "NO SIGNAL" message.

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
great.
This shows that the monitor was indeed also off for a short time when your PSU shut down, because it now showed the same behaviour as if it was turned on solely, without the PC.
One could even assume it had no/insufficient power for about 9 seconds
(because you said it showed the "no signal" message after 10 seconds, and now when testing right after 1 sec)

But monitor not showed AORUS logo on display like when cutting power off ( ex. by cable) ,powering off/on monitor. Its different. So monitor have power in that time. When i cut tottaly power in monitor by cable and turn on, it showing always AORUS logo on display for moment, just before message "NO SIGNAL".

thx

meilodasreh for your patience haha I am in work now. And sorry for my language.​

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
You are thinking too black and white here.
A bad wiring/loose connection isn't like switching completely ON or OFF. Voltage can drop to values below specification but still way over zero, which can cause all sorts of undefined and unpredictable behaviour of the connected devices.

So don't be so fixated on your logo-screen showing or not.
If your car battery is flat, your car's starting behaviour will also be somewhat abnormal from what you're used to see on your dashboard when turning the key, even if it might start after all, just not so fast, and with instrument lights flickering and stuff.

Proven by the tests i suggested was one thing:
If your monitor had sufficient power the whole time, it would have just switched to standby mode when the PC has no power.

It didn't do that, so there was something wrong with it too,
independent from the PC's PSU, but simultaneously to it shutting off.

.Monitor show when i switch it on without the PC, NO SIGNAL but after 1 second immidiatelly. (not after 10 seconds ). But there was power in monitor. There is not OSD in monitor when pc is off. I cant turn off monitor from power by power button completely when pc is off.

Monitor is showing orange light ( standby ). When i press monitor power button it just showing white led light and NO DISPLAY notify. Then again it will back to standby ( orange light ). That monitor is weird. I know.

Only when i am on system WINDOWS , when i press power button it will show OSD and from there i can turn off completely from power monitor.

You understand? Or just think more and explain again? My english is bad

After that shutdown monitor just switched to standby mode .But first after 10 seconds it flickered NO SIGNAL for moment.

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
wow your monitor really has lots of lights and messages...even a "no display" error, despite the fact that it is the display itself :oops:😄

You don't happen to have the manual of that thing?
Or tell what brand and model it is, so I can check myself for reference that gives any deeper insights to its error messages.

Thank you.
sadly, the manual doesn't give any information considering error messages, or even its osd text messages in general.
And for the led colors: Just white for on/normal operation and orange for standby...and off, of course 🙁
nothing helpful for this case.

You might try and play around with shutting down / hard-switching the system in as many ways and sequences you can find.
Including pulling out the power cable, keeping pressed the off-/ and reset button for several seconds and so on.
Maybe you are able to reproduce the exact behaviour of the monitor.

We have to find a pattern with just one puzzle piece to start with.

Or just leave it as it is, which would be my advice. After all, everything works just fine except for that one single incident long ago 🧐

Good luck so far, I will check back tomorrow.

...and stop apologizing for your english, it's more than sufficient. Believe me I've seen worse, for I've spent a lot of my lifetime around the world in no native english countries.

Someone said :"
It's likely your PSU, since those Seasonic units were known to shut down due to the high transient loads from 3080 and 3090s. Source

(originally was on LTT forums but now is on this site it seems)

Edit: I'm unsure if there was actually a pre-revision series called PRIME instead of PRIME TX-####. Some say that the TX revisions had the issue fixed, but, nonetheless, this is still the PSU's fault most likely for hard shutdowns."

So he is right or not? Also that happened once 4 weeks ago.

yes, you already mentioned that...more than once.

And - no offense meant by saying so, but:
So he is right or not?
I don't know! Nobody can tell you for sure, sorry, but asking that kind of question itself is...I mean, really...to what end???

So to keep it short:
Noone can definitely tell you what the exact problem is. There is no pattern to follow. It may or may not be an issue with the PSU.
Who is right...no can tell...question is: whom/what do you believe?

Make your decision:
Do you want to RMA it...then do so.

Or buy a PSU what you believe/research to be more than sufficient to work.
If your rig works without malfunctioning then, you can still RMA the SeaSonic PSU.

If the issue remains...well that would be sad, but as I said, keeping to ask around will lead to no end,
you have to take a real next step here.

Oben Unten