Question Is my Seasonic Tx-850W going bad? Shutdown once

sew333

Mitglied
Bewertungspunkte
Hi dear users. I have had an problem today.

My pc:
Seasonic PRIME TX-850 80Plus Titanium 850W
10850K stock 4800mhz stock Kraken X73 good temps
2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP
Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium
Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming ( 2x8 pin , 2 separate cables )
Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming
1 TB SSD

I bought pc in march 2021. No single issue,no reboots,no shutdowns. I played all games for many hours,no issues. Today…i launched Metro Exodus and after cinematic when is press E button part pc just shutdown. I rebooted again and its fine again.

Happened when gpu load change from 0% to 99%.

My question is. It was psu issue or maybe other hardware?

I remember that when pc goes off ,pc case lights flickered once and monitor flickered. That not happens when i shutting down manually.

i am running now game and no shutdowns. Happened today once. Also i have pc until march 2021 and thats like today never happened.

Is psu going just bad,rma or what you recommend for me. Thank you

ps:
ps:
I repeated launching game maybe 50 times again and no shutdown.
Happened once.
PS:
I am not german sorry for english. Danke

You play the same game and nothing happens? Then there's nothing to do at the moment.

But if you can't sleep because of one single error, install the newest drivers for the hardware, run a tool like HWMonitor, run 3DMark Time Spy extreme 3-4 times and see what happens with system stability, CPU- and GPU power draw and temps of the GPU and CPU. You should also run a RAM Test tool, like MemTest64. If everything runs fine, don't worry anymore. Errors in Games happen, even with rock stable systems.

Yes i run Control ,3dmark Time Spy Extreme , Battlefield 5 , Metro Exodus ( again ) for 10 hours and nothing happens.
Also i passed without errors Karhu Ram test.

That shutdown happened once,dont know why.

Don't worry anymore until it happens more times, and in other games too.

Yes, but how would you prove it if it happens once and never again?
You could test the PSU, GPU and CPU with full load, Furmark and Prime 95 at the same time, but that's also a fine way to damage your Hardware.
So I would wait and see if it happen's again.

I found this:

Maybe it was 12+V sense shutdown or Overcurrent?

Maybe, but I don't think so. At least my 3090FE works fine with a 10850K and a Seasonic Prime PX with only 750W. The Gigabyte perhaps has 30W more power draw than the FE? 850W should handle this without problems. I only have the 1000W because it was a bargain from a friend. If the failure happens again, you could try to lower the power settings of the GPU with afterburner and see if it's ok then.
If you only want a BIG 1000W PSU for your reasureness, go and get yourself one. :)

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
I ask because found some topics in reddit that some guys had shutdowns in Metro Exodus in loading stage.
They said.
."I'm having the exact same problem with Seasonic 750W Titanium + 3090 FE. It's tripping off with a tiny 100Mhz OC (and even with no OC at times), simply loading a Metro Exodus save file. I'm using the 10900K-equivalent Xeon part, which is called W-1290P (identical TDP). "

"On Metro, it ONLY happens when I load into the game (it makes you hold E for a second when the loading finishes). "

The same situations. I had that shutdown during loading part ( 30 fps ). Maybe related to psu too? But it happened once and nothing more. So just coincedence?

Why don't you read anything you can find here and elsewhere about sudden shutoffs of PSUs and shorttime peak currents of newer GPUs and CPUs?? I.e. here: https://www.igorslab.de/en/when-the-power-supply-suddenly-shuts-off
Of course It's possible you have such high peak currents with your big GPU and the PSU shut down. But if it happens only once while gaming, you shouldn't worry so much.

Overcurrent protection getting triggered.
That causes complete shutdown of PSU needing power cycling to clear it.
I don’t have to flip switch on the back of psu after shutdown.

So if that was high peak currents i must flip switch on the back of psu ,or not always?

Pc just shutdown and i only push power button from case to boot pc. Thanks.

Last question. So my shutdown was not related to OCP protection? It happened when i launch Metro Exodus in advertisement part ( 30 fps ).Happened once and i cant reproduce. Also I don’t have to flip switch on the back psu. Just pressed power button in case to boot pc.

If i run without issues that apps: 3dmark fire strike, port royal, wild life, time spy, Unigine Heaven
Quake 2 Rtx, Battlefield 5 , Watch Dogs Legion, Cyberpunk 2077,Ghost Recond Wildlands, Crysis 3 remastered, Crysis 1 Remastered, Metro Exodus Enhanced, Cod Vanguard, Control <-- 24 hours without shutdown. Its fine?

So issue with shutdown not repeated all working fine. BUt i wanna ask. Is any chance that this shutdown was caused just in a bug from game or driver issue ?? Thanks

So issue with shutdown not repeated all working fine. BUt i wanna ask. Is any chance that this shutdown was caused just in a bug from game or driver issue ?? Thanks
So if you had one individual shutdown and nothing else, nobody knows what the reason was.
Ich you have one crash/shutdown, don't care. Start caring if you experience sporadic ones.

Someone said this to me:"My response, is that once it has happened, it will happen again and the frequency will increase as well. So yes, RMA it if you have a spare PSU to use temporarily."

Listen to him?

Has the frequency of the error increased in the last weeks? If not, read #13 and #14.

Not, frequency of the error not increased in the last weeks.So if this happened once in 8 months not rma?

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Why do you even think that there is some issue with your PSU?!
You stated that when your PC shut down, your monitor also showed some flickering.
Your Monitor is not powered by the PSU of your PC, but has a built in one of its own.
So you had a simultaneous issue with two independent power supplies...how likely would you consider this to be?
My conclusion is, that it was much more likely some short irregularity within your local energy distribution network.

You might give it a try and ask your local energy network operator if there was a malfunction of some kind that day, that might have affected your local grid...but honestly they might not even be able to tell you, because not every fault is recorded properly, especially on the low voltage grid.
So even if they confirm there was no such incident, there still might have been something that wasn't recognized.
Or there was some maintenance being made that day, so that they had the grid switched over to another line/transformer/whatever, which also could cause small fluctuations...possibilities are numerous.

You might check your BIOS/UEFI settings for an option called:
"return / restore / reboot on power loss / AC loss" (actual name differs depending on manufacturer)
Your setting should read "stay off" or the like.
If it says "reboot/return", then you would have to think further (cause then there would have been an issue causing some protective circuit of the PSU to "shut down and stay off").
Not likely as I said...because then you shouldn't have been able to restart your system just by pressing the powerON/reset button again.
And again...how would your Monitor be involved into that scenario?

it says "reboot/return in uefi". So yes pc not rebooted ,but stayed off. I pressed then power button on pc case and pc started.
After that shutdown ,monitor said just "no signal" after 10 seconds. I think it was not power off and on by monitor , because there was not AORUS monitor logo on screen. Always when i power off/on monitor AORUS logo will appear for a moment.

But this time monitor just said NO SIGNAL after 10 seconds. ( without AORUS logo ). So power was on house.
Power was in house i think,laptop and router dont notice anything.Laptop doesnt change to battery mode ( event logs ) . Router dont reset because wifi was on laptop still.

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Oben Unten