Question GIGABYTE 5700 XT Bios mod fails

AlleyCat

Veteran
Bewertungspunkte
Hi,
I am failing to update Gigabyte 5700 XT. The same procedure updates the BIOS on MSI cards with no problem. I follow the instructions on Igors Lab.

The sign of having trouble with the card bios flash shows in GPU-Z. After flash using amdvbflash the values of GPU and memory frequencies is empty. With stock bios there are Mhz frequencies.

Is there any known problems with flashing Gigabyte cards?
Any suggestions on what other forums I may ask for assistance?
Is it possible that the OEM bios is signed, and any modified bios will be rejected?
If the bios is signed, any tools to resign, or would I need to buy a card from a different vendor?

Thanks,

Alley Cat

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
If its a rev 2.0 Gigabyte RX5700XT Gaming you can download the stock bios in by post above (https://www.igorslab.de/community/threads/gigabyte-5700-xt-bios-mod-fails.3304/post-140143) and flash it that should get the card back to working state. Do note that this bios is for Micron Memory only. If yours had Samsung or dual Samsung and Micron it will not work.
Pretty sure that i flashed the micron-bios and that i also tried out the samsung bios for safe measures. Therefore it might be a dual mem model, as soon as support flashed the good bios on there, i will save it and send it to Mini_Me. Maybe he/she can unlock it, the community wouldn't have to waste time anymore then :)

Pretty sure that i flashed the micron-bios and that i also tried out the samsung bios for safe measures. Therefore it might be a dual mem model, as soon as support flashed the good bios on there, i will save it and send it to Mini_Me. Maybe he/she can unlock it, the community wouldn't have to waste time anymore then :)
Ok so i tried everything that is in this post but couldn't make it good enough so i paid for it. you can visit https://bitby.ru/ if you just want to get rid of all the hassle feel free to contact him.

Hello everyone,
i tried mailing the master of disaster, @Mini_Me already, i don't know if he is still active on this thread, that's why im doing this post.
I started mining on my 5700XT-Rig in February, i flashed 3 Gigabyte OC 8 Gaming cards back then, i just remember vaguely, that i did have problems with one. In the end, it all went well with the 2.93+ amdvbflash-tool over cmd.
However, with my 4th 5700xt, it doesn't. I tried flashing with 2.93+ as usual because of the single-memory type but the card bricked and bios or windows wouldn't post unless i shorted the bios chip with "a pair of tweezers". ;)
Now i'm back to windows with the Gigabyte-Windows-flash-tool (it does post without shorting) but the card is still not recognized in windows (no adapter found) unless i continue shorting the bios-chip during start-up. How can i fix it? And how do i get a modded bios on there?
The bios i saved first (somehow not signed, i don't know about that) was with the device-number 731F. Would an unlocked, signed version of a bios for this card help?
Thanks in advance,
Erik

NEWS: (edit)
By looking closely at my cards, i discovered, that there are different builds of the same model. Rev1, Rev2 yeah, different bios and so on. What i mean by that is not a new PCB-Layout, but things soldered that are not soldered on the other ones.
My theory is the following: 2 out of my 3 first cards have one connector not soldered to a place close to PCIE-Connectors and are therefore Rev 1 versions. I didn't have much of a problem flashing them, modded bios - no problemo. The other card has a connector soldered there, however, the connector is not connected to anything. I did have problems with this card, didn't save a modded version of the original, signed bios of this card to my pc, because it didn't work. (bios is locked). This is a REV2 Card.
These differences are also noticeable on the device-id seen in amdvbflash. 730F is REV1, 731F is REV2.
When i am force-flashing a 730F-Bios on there (cards with no connector), windows won't boot and im stuck on the bios loading-up screen of my h110 btc+. Now i need to find a way to get this card up and running again.

Update: (edit)
I tried flashing the bios of my other gigabyte-cards, the stock versions, the modded versions, it either didn't boot into windows, or the adapter was not found unless i continued to short the bios-chip.
I tried flashing the bios of tech-power-up and the bios of Mini_Me to the card, again, it didn't work. I even switched PCIE-Slots, nothing changed. This card cost me 4 days, 6 hours a day. I looked up everything, tried everything, flashed all i could.
I will ask Alternate on monday if they can provide me a working bios or if they can give me Gigabyte's support-number because Gigabyte.de/support is currently down.
I will update you guys and, if working, provide the working bios.
I have the same problem as your's. Any update? My card only have Samsung Memory.

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
I have the same problem as your's. Any update? My card only have Samsung Memory.
Well, i sent my Card to Alternate. They will, most likely, send it to Gigabyte. From there on it may take up to 4 weeks, lets see.
I kind of knew that before, it is why i offered to post the bios later on so that noone else would have the hussle.

I basically read about ~30 key pages in this amazing thread. Failed couple of times on my own Gigabyte card ( I only got 1 of these on hand though ). Finally I made it work. Somehow under windows the card is frequently throwing Code 43 but under Linux (HiveOS) everything is fine.

I used the linked BIOSs posted by @Mini_Me in his newest thread (which contains 4 different BIOSs for gigabyte models) and applied Apple Straps on them. It's weird that the downloaded BIOS seems does not contain any timing modification you seems to have to do it by yourself. I also failed couple of times since for some reason RBE did not apply my TREF modification (probably a glitch), therefore, I end-up copy-pasting apple straps and load/save several times to check everything is correct.

Any one with Gigabyte Gaming 5700XT rev 1.0, Micron GDDR5 can feel free to try my BIOS: Around 56mh/s under stable settings using TRM.
Supposed to work with rev 2.0 and OC edition too.

Thanks again for @Mini_Me 's instrucitons! IMO this thread is the single greatest in all 5700XT discussions!

Best,
Rain

Anhänge

• mnew.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 57
Big News: It took Alternate 5 working days to get the card up and running as well as back to me. That's huge, quick and helped me a lot.
I went extra careful this time. (Not just flashed but also saved my vbios with 2.93+, also did a bios-save with GPU-Z for a different file-size)
I then modded the bios with the TRM Beta-Version, unlocked the bios and flashed it back on. The card is working now, device-id 731-f. (little connector soldered between fan-connector and PCIE-Power connectors)
Here is my modded bios and my stock bios, may it serve you well.
(no, i don't have 62 Gigabyte-Cards, it's my 6th GPU, with the second bios save ;) )

Anhänge

• moddedbiosgigabyte62.rom
    1 MB · Aufrufe : 61
  • stockbiosgigabyte62.rom
    1 MB · Aufrufe : 30
Greetings and welcome,

The vbios kindly attached below are the latest version 068 that fully support Zero RPM feature, unlocked Gigabyte RX 5700 XT GAMING and AORUS cards with Samsung and Micron memory that I highly recommend to use them from now on,

You may have a good day.
hi,
thanks for your tutorial.
i followed this tutorial for my asus dual 5700xt, except i have done the flash using hiveos command prompt.

Those setting are universal, i mean it's for all rx5700xt (can i use the same for my msi rx 5700 xt gaming x?
it's the latest unlocked bios available for gigabyte rx5700 xt?
Can i use the "Gigabyte RX 5700 XT GAMING" bios for my "Gigabyte RX 5700 XT GAMING oc"?
For the Gigabyte RX 5700 XT GAMING oc it's mandatory tu flash using dos or i can flash from hiveos?

Big News: It took Alternate 5 working days to get the card up and running as well as back to me. That's huge, quick and helped me a lot.
I went extra careful this time. (Not just flashed but also saved my vbios with 2.93+, also did a bios-save with GPU-Z for a different file-size)
I then modded the bios with the TRM Beta-Version, unlocked the bios and flashed it back on. The card is working now, device-id 731-f. (little connector soldered between fan-connector and PCIE-Power connectors)
Here is my modded bios and my stock bios, may it serve you well.
(no, i don't have 62 Gigabyte-Cards, it's my 6th GPU, with the second bios save ;) )
hi,
i have a a Gigabyte rx5700 RX 5700 XT GAMING OC 8G rev2.0 (with samsung memory)
Also from alternate (belgium)
i don't know if it's the same card as your card.
here some photos:
gigabyte gaming oc board.jpg
gigabyte gaming oc.jpg

here the information found on linux (hiveos)
Code :
Adapter  1    SEG=0000, BN=2B, DN=00, PCIID=731F1002, SSID=23131458)
    Asic Family        :  Navi10
    Flash Type         :  W25Q80      (1024 KB)
    Product Name       :  GV-R57XTGAMING OC-8GD/F40/0ADE
    Bios Config File   :  R57XTGO.F40
    Bios P/N           :  P/N Not Available
    Bios Version       :  017.001.000.068.000000
    Bios Date          :  08/23/20 09:10
    ROM Image Type     :  Hybrid Images
    ROM Image Details  :
        Image[0]: Size(57344 Bytes), Type(Legacy Image)
        Image[1]: Size(44544 Bytes), Type(EFI Image)
------------------------------------------------------------
Found Card: 1002:731f rev c1 (AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT)
Chip Type: Navi10
BIOS Version: xxx-xxx-xxx
PCI: 2b:00.0
OpenCL Platform: 0
OpenCL ID: 1
Subvendor:  0x1458
Subdevice:  0x2313
Sysfs Path: /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:2b:00.0
Memory Type: GDDR6
Memory Model: Samsung GDDR6

On gigabyte site this one https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Graphics-Card/GV-R57XTGAMING-OC-8GD-rev-20#kf ,
Can i use the bios of rev1.0 in order to unlock my bios i mean this one https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Graphics-Card/GV-R57XTGAMING-OC-8GD-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios?

Or i have to use the bios from this post https://www.igorslab.de/community/threads/gigabyte-5700-xt-bios-mod-fails.3304/page-59#post-95108 ,it's not the oc one "RX 5700 XT GAMING" .

it's mandatory to use AtiFlashTool 2.93+ or i can use the AMDVBFLASH version 4.71 (on hiveos)?

Well, i sent my Card to Alternate. They will, most likely, send it to Gigabyte. From there on it may take up to 4 weeks, lets see.
I kind of knew that before, it is why i offered to post the bios later on so that noone else would have the hussle.
Thank you in advance.

Edit :

Thank again Eribaeri, it work well. Now I am able to boot with the card and windows detected correctly. I am going to reapply thermal paste and test out with furmark.

I use Amdvbflash 2.93+ on safe mode to flush the bios.

Regards,
Nay Lin

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
hi,
i have a a Gigabyte rx5700 RX 5700 XT GAMING OC 8G rev2.0 (with samsung memory)
Also from alternate (belgium)
i don't know if it's the same card as your card.
here some photos:
Anhang anzeigen 14416
Anhang anzeigen 14417

here the information found on linux (hiveos)
Code :
Adapter  1    SEG=0000, BN=2B, DN=00, PCIID=731F1002, SSID=23131458)
    Asic Family        :  Navi10
    Flash Type         :  W25Q80      (1024 KB)
    Product Name       :  GV-R57XTGAMING OC-8GD/F40/0ADE
    Bios Config File   :  R57XTGO.F40
    Bios P/N           :  P/N Not Available
    Bios Version       :  017.001.000.068.000000
    Bios Date          :  08/23/20 09:10
    ROM Image Type     :  Hybrid Images
    ROM Image Details  :
        Image[0]: Size(57344 Bytes), Type(Legacy Image)
        Image[1]: Size(44544 Bytes), Type(EFI Image)
------------------------------------------------------------
Found Card: 1002:731f rev c1 (AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT)
Chip Type: Navi10
BIOS Version: xxx-xxx-xxx
PCI: 2b:00.0
OpenCL Platform: 0
OpenCL ID: 1
Subvendor:  0x1458
Subdevice:  0x2313
Sysfs Path: /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:2b:00.0
Memory Type: GDDR6
Memory Model: Samsung GDDR6

On gigabyte site this one https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Graphics-Card/GV-R57XTGAMING-OC-8GD-rev-20#kf ,
Can i use the bios of rev1.0 in order to unlock my bios i mean this one https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Graphics-Card/GV-R57XTGAMING-OC-8GD-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios?

Or i have to use the bios from this post https://www.igorslab.de/community/threads/gigabyte-5700-xt-bios-mod-fails.3304/page-59#post-95108 ,it's not the oc one "RX 5700 XT GAMING" .

it's mandatory to use AtiFlashTool 2.93+ or i can use the AMDVBFLASH version 4.71 (on hiveos)?
Just do the same as i did. Amdvbflash 2.93+, MorePowerTool, RedBiosEditor-Beta, newest DDU.
Reinstall drivers, save Bios with 2.93 and GPU-Z, do a .mpt - table, insert everything into RedBiosEditor. Unlock Bios, edit Bios, flash Bios. If flash goes wrong, recover with 512kb or 1024kb bios, use 512kb bios first.
Regarding all your bios data you found on the internet, dunno, try it out, Windows will warn you, if the device-ID doesn't match.
Greetings, Erik

Just do the same as i did. Amdvbflash 2.93+, MorePowerTool, RedBiosEditor-Beta, newest DDU.
Reinstall drivers, save Bios with 2.93 and GPU-Z, do a .mpt - table, insert everything into RedBiosEditor. Unlock Bios, edit Bios, flash Bios. If flash goes wrong, recover with 512kb or 1024kb bios, use 512kb bios first.
Regarding all your bios data you found on the internet, dunno, try it out, Windows will warn you, if the device-ID doesn't match.
Greetings, Erik
when you say Unlock Bios you refer to "amdvbflash.exe -unlockrom 0"
So i can use my backup bios to mod it then relash my mode bios ?

If i good understand this post https://www.igorslab.de/community/threads/gigabyte-5700-xt-bios-mod-fails.3304/page-2#posts
we can only flash from windows?
sadly except my laptops i have no computer running windows.

hello. i just wonder what size and type of termalpads i should use for my

ASUS Radeon RX 5700 DUAL EVO OC

I am trying to OC my Aorus v2 biosmod, but I am having problems.

The HiveOS Settings: Core 1380, VDD 770, VDDCI 770, MVDD 1350, memory clock 900 and 115w.

When I look on monitor, the real core clock is less, +- 1340. Is it normal?

With this gigabyte, when I try to put more than 910 on memory clock, it crash. I am using Apple configs.

Regards

Anhänge

• 5700xt-aorus-top.rom
    1 MB · Aufrufe : 8
Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Anyone can give a ROM file for AMD Radeon GIGABYTE RX 5700 XT GAMING OC 8G Rev.1 .
I'm having an issue with detecting the card, it shows me Unknown GDDR6 · xxx-xxx-xxx .
thx

Anyone can give a ROM file for AMD Radeon GIGABYTE RX 5700 XT GAMING OC 8G Rev.1 .
I'm having an issue with detecting the card, it shows me Unknown GDDR6 · xxx-xxx-xxx .
thx
Hi, I've attached my stock ROM for this card for you. You should also be able to use the instructions and ROM posted in post #8:

Anhänge

• STOCK_HiveOS_RadeonRX5700XT-8G-Micron_GDDR6-xxx-xxx-xxx.rom
    1 MB · Aufrufe : 27
Oben Unten