Question GIGABYTE 5700 XT Bios mod fails

AlleyCat

Veteran
Bewertungspunkte
Hi,
I am failing to update Gigabyte 5700 XT. The same procedure updates the BIOS on MSI cards with no problem. I follow the instructions on Igors Lab.

The sign of having trouble with the card bios flash shows in GPU-Z. After flash using amdvbflash the values of GPU and memory frequencies is empty. With stock bios there are Mhz frequencies.

Is there any known problems with flashing Gigabyte cards?
Any suggestions on what other forums I may ask for assistance?
Is it possible that the OEM bios is signed, and any modified bios will be rejected?
If the bios is signed, any tools to resign, or would I need to buy a card from a different vendor?

Thanks,

Alley Cat

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
I would definitely be interested in the rev 2.0 unlocked bios for the gigabyte card.
I can already confirm this gpu (micron) draws about 20-30w more on the 1.0 bios compared to the 2.0 bios.
I havent been able to locate or unlock the 2.0 bios myself so these benchmarks are done on full stock settings using memtweak on the fly.
I would like to try the 2.0 unlocked bios with my bios mod en power table im currently using on 1.0 bios, so if you could upload the unlocked one I (and the community) would be very grateful.

I would definitely be interested in the rev 2.0 unlocked bios for the gigabyte card.
I can already confirm this gpu (micron) draws about 20-30w more on the 1.0 bios compared to the 2.0 bios.
I havent been able to locate or unlock the 2.0 bios myself so these benchmarks are done on full stock settings using memtweak on the fly.
I would like to try the 2.0 unlocked bios with my bios mod en power table im currently using on 1.0 bios, so if you could upload the unlocked one I (and the community) would be very grateful.
Greetings and welcome,

The vbios kindly attached below are the latest version 068 that fully support Zero RPM feature, unlocked Gigabyte RX 5700 XT GAMING and AORUS cards with Samsung and Micron memory that I highly recommend to use them from now on,

You may have a good day.

Anhänge

• M-Micron-FZ0-Gigabyte-Gaming-RX57XT-v68.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 591
  • M-Micron-F70-Gigabyte-Aorus-RX57XT-v68.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 375
  • M-Samsung-F40-Gigabyte-Gaming-RX57XT-v68.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 475
  • M-Samsung-F80-Gigabyte-Aorus-RX57XT-v68.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 291
Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Greetings and welcome,

The vbios kindly attached below are the latest version 068 that fully support Zero RPM feature, unlocked and modified with Apple straps for Gigabyte RX 5700 XT GAMING and AORUS cards with Micron memory that I highly recommend to use them from now on for Gigabyte cards and for cards with Samsung memory I am working on it at the meantime, please after testing update whenever it is possible,

You may have a good day.
Thank you kindly!
PS: Reserved, I will be back with results ASAP

Edit 1: Quick test -> Flashed a stock, unmodded (rev2) Card with the supplied vBIOS:
Results, same OC settings, hashrate INCREASED from 52.04 to 53.64, while maintaining exact same temps, and 1W LESS usage
Before: OC:
C 1300, M 900 (Cv 775, mc 775, mddvc 1325) 42C / 84C - 52.04
After vBIOS flash (nothing changed, for test purposed):
OC: C 1300, M 900 (cv 775, mc 775, mddvc 1325) 42C / 84C - 53.64

Edit #2: Running stable for 4 hours, probably can push more:

gpu9.PNG

Will do further more in-depth tests tonight and relate back with news / progress.

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Greetings and welcome,

The vbios kindly attached below are the latest version 068 that fully support Zero RPM feature, unlocked and modified with Apple straps for Gigabyte RX 5700 XT GAMING and AORUS cards with Micron memory that I highly recommend to use them from now on for Gigabyte cards and for cards with Samsung memory I am working on it at the meantime, please after testing update whenever it is possible,

You may have a good day.
Thank you kindly. I will start working on these tonight and report my findings in a day or two, once i have tested a couple variables.
I really like this stuff, but man does it take some time to properly tune gpu's. After this i may call myself an expert😅

Did you confirm the lower power at the wall?

Did you confirm the lower power at the wall?
Yes, I confirmed the rating at the wall. At the actual junctionbox from the power company. Cant get more accurate than that.
I do all my power draw reports at the wall.
I did some work with the 2.0 bios and the power draw actually dropped.
Down 15 watts for the same hashrate on the bios as I received it.
After some initial tweaking, i can confirm a stable 58.2 MH/s @114W (gpu only) !!!!!!
I will continue to play with it to see if more can performance/efficiency can be achieved.
What's striking isnthe fact that since i updated to the 20.12 drivers my power readings in the software (gpu-z) line up exactly with the power draw at the wall. I dont know how its possible but i keep on double checking all the numbers and they actually match up.

Thank you SOOOO MUCH guys for making this possible. I will post an update with my settings and timings in a week or so as my wife is about to go into labor.
Fingers crossed it'll go smooth. This f'in C-virus messes up everything at the moment.

Yes, I confirmed the rating at the wall. At the actual junctionbox from the power company. Cant get more accurate than that.
I do all my power draw reports at the wall.
I did some work with the 2.0 bios and the power draw actually dropped.
Down 15 watts for the same hashrate on the bios as I received it.
After some initial tweaking, i can confirm a stable 58.2 MH/s @114W (gpu only) !!!!!!
I will continue to play with it to see if more can performance/efficiency can be achieved.
What's striking isnthe fact that since i updated to the 20.12 drivers my power readings in the software (gpu-z) line up exactly with the power draw at the wall. I dont know how its possible but i keep on double checking all the numbers and they actually match up.

Thank you SOOOO MUCH guys for making this possible. I will post an update with my settings and timings in a week or so as my wife is about to go into labor.
Fingers crossed it'll go smooth. This f'in C-virus messes up everything at the moment.
I am glad that it was helpful, I believe these vbios versions for Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming and Aorus might be the latest and best versions from the company and if in the future there are new versions I will update whenever it is possible.

Greetings and welcome,

You may have a good day.
I have tested the bios revision 2 (rev 68) with the Power Table values on Page 32, apple straps, and I made sure the SoC runs at 950 MHz. Hive reports a significant power drop. The wall watt meter reports THE SAME power as rev 1 (rev 48) at the same hash. The test was for 5 x Gigabyte 5700 XT Gaming OC cards.

In my conclusion, there is no power or hash advantages to updating to rev. 2 (rev 68). Nevertheless, it is always preferred to running at the latest bios for improved stability and perhaps other unknown benefits.

AlleyCat

I have tested the bios revision 2 (rev 68) with the Power Table values on Page 32, apple straps, and I made sure the SoC runs at 950 MHz. Hive reports a significant power drop. The wall watt meter reports THE SAME power as rev 1 (rev 48) at the same hash. The test was for 5 x Gigabyte 5700 XT Gaming OC cards.

In my conclusion, there is no power or hash advantages to updating to rev. 2 (rev 68). Nevertheless, it is always preferred to running at the latest bios for improved stability and perhaps other unknown benefits.

AlleyCat
Greetings dear AlleyCat,

You are correct, most updates are mostly to improve stability and fixes some problems or adding (enabling) new features, the small changes if exists in performance and power consumption is due to the stability improvement.

Hi there,

Thank you @Mini_Me so much for all the work, it's really appreciated.
My problem is to get my cards below 125w and I've failed miserably. I've got the Gigabyte GAMING OC (full model name attached) and have hitting my head against the wall but can't get them to be stable at any settings except 55mh/s @~125w (in sw and confirmed at wall).
I've read only up to page 3 and followed the instructions exactly (although I was confused as to which tREF values should be used since there's a discussion regarding 12000 which I could not find anywhere in the instructions but I guess it was something that was updated). Anyhoo, flashing the provided vBIOS (modified in 2 versions of the straps both in the Apple Inc and the 12000tREF) with the MPT values at page 2. Comparing my results to what @AlleyCat could produced puts my results way, way off. The same results I get in Win, I also get in HiveOS.
1608291036349.png

@Mini_Me:
This what I've tried to do:
Flashing the modded vBIOS using both the Flash Tool 2.93+ and 3.04+ in both Safe Mode and normal env (startning the CMD as Admin on all cases).
I've tried AMD driver 20.3.* and 20.9.*
I've tried to uninstall, re-install the driver before re-flashing.
I definattly am missing something here.
I have an 'untouched' stock card so I'll the new vBIOS on that one. I'll try to flash the this new version and see what happens.

Model name:
GAMING OC 8D.JPG

Hi there,

My problem is to get my cards below 125w and I've failed miserably. I've got the Gigabyte GAMING OC (full model name attached) and have hitting my head against the wall but can't get them to be stable at any settings except 55mh/s @~125w (in sw and confirmed at wall).
I've read only up to page 3 and followed the instructions exactly (although I was confused as to which tREF values should be used since there's a discussion regarding 12000 which I could not find anywhere in the instructions but I guess it was something that was updated). Anyhoo, flashing the provided vBIOS (modified in 2 versions of the straps both in the Apple Inc and the 12000tREF) with the MPT values at page 2. Comparing my results to what @AlleyCat could produced puts my results way, way off. The same results I get in Win, I also get in HiveOS.
Anhang anzeigen 8677

@Mini_Me:
Flashing the modded vBIOS using both the Flash Tool 2.93+ and 3.04+ in both Safe Mode and normal env (startning the CMD as Admin on all cases).
I have an 'untouched' stock card so I'll the new vBIOS on that one. I'll try to flash the this new version and see what happens.

Model name:
Anhang anzeigen 8678
Hi and welcome,

I believe you have already tried the vbios in the link below, please send me your backup vbios files to check it out,

Hi and welcome,

I believe you have already tried the vbios in the link below, please send me your backup vbios files to check it out,

I'm flashing the new vBIOS (provided in the link) this afternoon on a brand new card (the same make & model). By "send me your backup vbios" I believe you mean the original stock bios that was on the card when I first got it, or do you mean the modded version of the one you provided "R57XTGAMING-OC-8GD.ROM"?

Hi there,

Anhang anzeigen 8677

@Mini_Me:

Model name:
Anhang anzeigen 8678
I have the same card but with Samsung memory, I cannot get it stable with anything but stock. I was suggested to try a few other things today and I will report back.

I have the same card but with Samsung memory, I cannot get it stable with anything but stock. I was suggested to try a few other things today and I will report back.
For cards with Samsung memory, the max stable memory clock is 910 MHz,

Please test the settings below which is the best for cards with Samsung memory type,

Core clock, VDD, Memory clock, VDDCI, MVDD,

- 1385 MHz, 770 mV, 905 MHz, 850 mV, 1350 mV,
- 1350 MHz, 750 mV, 870 MHz, 850 mV, 1350 mV.

Hi and welcome,

Here are my observations when flashing the new (Rev 2) vBIOS, I did on the same card not a brand new one:
It does not report full power usage (unlike the previous version) in software
54mh/s @~109w in sw but it actually uses 130-135w at wall (total system 170-175w at wall)
Using Radeon Software: core@1252 @750 mV, mem@1860 @850 mV (this one according to GPU-Z).

Will try HiveOS, but I'm not hoping for much.

For cards with Samsung memory, the max stable memory clock is 910 MHz,

Please test the settings below which is the best for cards with Samsung memory type,

Core clock, VDD, Memory clock, VDDCI, MVDD,

- 1385 MHz, 770 mV, 905 MHz, 850 mV, 1350 mV,
- 1350 MHz, 750 mV, 870 MHz, 850 mV, 1350 mV.
I wanted to try but even as such on the lower memory settings getting errors right away at bootup, I can run stable on stock 917 mhz and get 52.25 mh/sec

Ill try updating drivers next as i'm on 19.30.

1608301672871.png

Hi and welcome,

Aplologies for the multiple replies, but I'm trying to update as I test different things.
Putting the cards on HiveOS made a very little difference which I would argue as result of the possibility to adjust mem_voltage. I'm getting 54mh/s @125w at the wall. And as I mentioned before this version of the vBIOS does not report total power usage so here's how it looks like
1608311759947.png
this was running for more than a couple of hours on 2 different pools (1 hr each).
My goal is to achieve stable 24/7 @115-117w at the wall and I honestly don't care if I get more hashrate at this moment but if I can that would be just a huge plus.

Oben Unten