Question GIGABYTE 5700 XT Bios mod fails

AlleyCat

Veteran
Bewertungspunkte
Hi,
I am failing to update Gigabyte 5700 XT. The same procedure updates the BIOS on MSI cards with no problem. I follow the instructions on Igors Lab.

The sign of having trouble with the card bios flash shows in GPU-Z. After flash using amdvbflash the values of GPU and memory frequencies is empty. With stock bios there are Mhz frequencies.

Is there any known problems with flashing Gigabyte cards?
Any suggestions on what other forums I may ask for assistance?
Is it possible that the OEM bios is signed, and any modified bios will be rejected?
If the bios is signed, any tools to resign, or would I need to buy a card from a different vendor?

Thanks,

Alley Cat

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
With SoC max frequency set to 1093, I am running the test card at 1400/770 (1.82) 111w. I set the memory frequency to 945, the most stable speed I achieved, and put no value for VDDCI or MVDD. I assume that the values are taken from the curve. The speed is 57.24MH/s, and the configuration is simple.

If we could get a "performance" curve, we will need no values for VDDCI or MVDD.

Do you agree with my assertion?

AlleyCat
Where are you getting these power figures? If it's the OS reported it won't be consistent with actuals. I have observed wild variations in reporting on AMD cards. Only a power meter will give you true/consistent readings.

Here are the results:

SoC freq is the same at 950MHz.

At memory clock 910 with SoC Max Freq. 950, the RTM report SoCMHz = 950. MHs/s = 55.93 and Power = 111W.
At memory clock 910 with SoC Max Freq. 1267 (default), the RTM report SoCMHz = 950. MHs/s = 55.92 and Power = 110W.

The difference is insignificant.

Both tests used core 1400 MHz, VDD=770.
With SoC max freq. setting of 950, the benefit to power is at memory clock above 910MHz, The change to the SoC Max Freq (950) in the Power Table reduced the SoC at 940MHz from 1267 to 1085.

Where are you getting these power figures? If it's the OS reported it won't be consistent with actuals. I have observed wild variations in reporting on AMD cards. Only a power meter will give you true/consistent readings.
You are correct. I don't have a power meter to test the whole system power consumption., I use the values reported from the card as a comparison between settings.

Here are the results:

SoC freq is the same at 950MHz.

At memory clock 910 with SoC Max Freq. 950, the RTM report SoCMHz = 950. MHs/s = 55.93 and Power = 111W.
At memory clock 910 with SoC Max Freq. 1267 (default), the RTM report SoCMHz = 950. MHs/s = 55.92 and Power = 110W.

The difference is insignificant.

Both tests used core 1400 MHz, VDD=770.
My sincere gratitude for your feedback,

That is mean the technical guy was right,

Then we are going to leave the soc clock at the default without modding.

Regarding the power curve I am going to update the post in the kindly attached link below to implement the 1.8 ratio in the power curve of the bios and make it automatically adjusted by it, this can be done by advanced users which I believe you are already one dear,

Please follow the guide in the kindly attached link below for your rev. 2.0 cards,

This guide has been followed and implemented for all 8 cards. Settings are identical on the rev 1.0 and rev 2.0 cards. Each card has the apple straps applied and the following settings:
I. Under Features tab enable all the overdive features,

II. Under Overdrive Limits tab, set:
GFX Maximum Clock 1440 MHz
Memory Maximum Clock 1000 MHz
Power Limit Maximum 0%
Power Limit Minimum 0%
Memory Timing Control 1 [For computing (mining), desfault is 2 for gaming]

III. Under Power and Voltages, set:
Maximum Voltage GFX 1050 mV [must not be lower than this as the MVDD default value in the vbios is at 1350 mV and the VDD must be within 300 mV range with MVDD]
Maximum Voltage SoC 1050 mV [must be not lower than this as the MVDD default value in the vbios is at 1350 mV and the VDD must be within 300 mV range with MVDD]
Minimum Voltage GFX 750 mV
Minimum Voltage SoC 750 mV
Power Limit GPU 140 W
TDC Limit GFX 132 A
TDC Limit SoC 12 A

IV. Under Frequency tap, set:
GFX Maximum 1360 MHz
Memory DPM 3 - 950 MHz

V. Under Fan tab, set:
Stop Temperature 60° C
Start Temperature 70° C

This guide has been followed and implemented for all 8 cards. Settings are identical on the rev 1.0 and rev 2.0 cards. Each card has the apple straps applied and the following settings:
I. Under Features tab enable all the overdive features,

II. Under Overdrive Limits tab, set:
GFX Maximum Clock 1440 MHz
Memory Maximum Clock 1000 MHz
Power Limit Maximum 0%
Power Limit Minimum 0%
Memory Timing Control 1 [For computing (mining), desfault is 2 for gaming]

III. Under Power and Voltages, set:
Maximum Voltage GFX 1050 mV [must not be lower than this as the MVDD default value in the vbios is at 1350 mV and the VDD must be within 300 mV range with MVDD]
Maximum Voltage SoC 1050 mV [must be not lower than this as the MVDD default value in the vbios is at 1350 mV and the VDD must be within 300 mV range with MVDD]
Minimum Voltage GFX 750 mV
Minimum Voltage SoC 750 mV
Power Limit GPU 140 W
TDC Limit GFX 132 A
TDC Limit SoC 12 A

IV. Under Frequency tap, set:
GFX Maximum 1360 MHz
Memory DPM 3 - 950 MHz

V. Under Fan tab, set:
Stop Temperature 60° C
Start Temperature 70° C
Alright, do you have the backup for the original vbios of the rev. 2.0 cards?

Original rev 2.0 vbios attached
Thank you for the file,

Have you tried the guide in the link below using this backup of the original vbios of rev. 2.0 instead of the official Gigabyte vbios?

I didn't actually use that, as I was afraid of having the same issue when I used the original bios from the rev 1.0 card (how I found this thread in the first place). When I used the bios from the card, I was not able to successfully flash the bios, I ended up with what appeared to be a bricked card. I was able to recover and then, using your guide, successfully flash. I used the bios downloaded from Gigabyte, flashed the card with that, then completed the bios mod on the same downloaded bios and re-flash. I've never been able to find the rev 2.0 bios on the gigabyte page or the techinsights page, so I used the rev 1.0. I don't see any difference between rev 1 and rev 2 as far as card specs. I have asked in this thread if anyone knows the difference between the two revisions, but I doesn't appear that anyone knows. I assumed the bios would be the same as there is no where to download the rev 2.0 bios.

Greetings and welcome,

Thank you for your kind and informative sharing,

Regarding the SoC, it is already being known reducing it will decrease the power consumption in a percentage however the problem is we do not have the solid knowledge to determine what soc clock reduction will impact on the long run other than the memory clock,

Because the lack of knowledge at the meantime, unfortunately there are many things were not made available to the users when creating the MorePowerTool,

I am trying my best to dig the information by even visiting the manufacturer factory for the pcb components of RX 5700 in other countries however it seems AMD made sure that many informations regarding their products to stay in the dark however I believe it is a matter of time before this informations see the light.
Hello!

I have switched to TRM and changed pool so I have gained noticeable performance gain, thanks to this thread!

However, I have some difficulties with 950 SOC. While my system is rock stable with current settings, rig will reboot itself within hours if I change soc to 950 with atitool. Unfortunately, with reboot, also miner log gets cleared so I never know what is the reason for reboot (i.e. which card is causing the error).

Is there any remedy for this? Can I set max SOC clock to TRM when its optimizing? Apparently this is possible with RaveOS, perhaps its possible with HiveOS also?

Also, is it possible to configure miner log that it is not cleared on every reboot?

I have not modified power tables. This is because for some unknown reason, I cannot flash any bios to any of my card in my rig with HiveOS. I have to remove all USB riser slots from PCI-e slots and leave only one, and flash every card, one by one within windows safe mode. This is very time consuming so I wont do it until I get another motherboard for testing different bios options.

Hello!

I have switched to TRM and changed pool so I have gained noticeable performance gain, thanks to this thread!

However, I have some difficulties with 950 SOC. While my system is rock stable with current settings, rig will reboot itself within hours if I change soc to 950 with atitool. Unfortunately, with reboot, also miner log gets cleared so I never know what is the reason for reboot (i.e. which card is causing the error).

Is there any remedy for this? Can I set max SOC clock to TRM when its optimizing? Apparently this is possible with RaveOS, perhaps its possible with HiveOS also?

Also, is it possible to configure miner log that it is not cleared on every reboot?

I have not modified power tables. This is because for some unknown reason, I cannot flash any bios to any of my card in my rig with HiveOS. I have to remove all USB riser slots from PCI-e slots and leave only one, and flash every card, one by one within windows safe mode. This is very time consuming so I wont do it until I get another motherboard for testing different bios options.
Hello,

My advice is to leave the soc clock at default as whether you set soc max at 950 MHz or at default 1267 MHz is almost the same, when you set the the memory clock at 910 MHz the soc will still run at 950 MHz and consume the same power however when the soc max set at default it will adapt properly to the power curve, if you are still want to set soc max then use a script or MorePowerTool from inside the system to set it at 950 MHz which is the safer way, at 1093 MHz for mem at 950 MHz and at 1123 for Mem at 960 MHz.

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
I didn't actually use that, as I was afraid of having the same issue when I used the original bios from the rev 1.0 card (how I found this thread in the first place). When I used the bios from the card, I was not able to successfully flash the bios, I ended up with what appeared to be a bricked card. I was able to recover and then, using your guide, successfully flash. I used the bios downloaded from Gigabyte, flashed the card with that, then completed the bios mod on the same downloaded bios and re-flash. I've never been able to find the rev 2.0 bios on the gigabyte page or the techinsights page, so I used the rev 1.0. I don't see any difference between rev 1 and rev 2 as far as card specs. I have asked in this thread if anyone knows the difference between the two revisions, but I doesn't appear that anyone knows. I assumed the bios would be the same as there is no where to download the rev 2.0 bios.
Try to mod the original rev. 2.0 vbios, if the flashing from dos was successful then that is a good news, if not I will mode the original rev. 2.0 vbios for you.

Hello!

I have a dedicated PC with dual SSD, one for windows 10 and a second for HiveOS. I use this platform for testing and modifying. Once I have a “final” bios, I can flash it easily from the HiveOS production. I don’t need to move out cards in production.
On the test PC, switching between boots is done with F12 boot menu. If I am ready for a rapid configuration testing and restart, I simply change the boot drive I’m the bios and can rapidly reboot to the same OS.

I have a dedicated PC with dual SSD, one for windows 10 and a second for HiveOS. I use this platform for testing and modifying. Once I have a “final” bios, I can flash it easily from the HiveOS production. I don’t need to move out cards in production.
On the test PC, switching between boots is done with F12 boot menu. If I am ready for a rapid configuration testing and restart, I simply change the boot drive I’m the bios and can rapidly reboot to the same OS.
Greetings dear,

I would like to get a piece of your knowledge regarding when attaching the Gigabyte with the original bios as well as the reference card to the HiveOS, what are their default parameters regarding the MVDD and VDDCI and MEM clock?

Oben Unten