Question Bricked RX 5700 card by flashing the wrong bios. It will not POST even when tried to flash the previous bios back

Evertonhs

Mitglied
Bewertungspunkte
Dear community,
I have 2 cards, one is a MSI Mech RX 5700 XT, which I have flashed successfully with a modified Gigabyte Bios (see attached Mech.rom). This Bios is really efficient and increased speed and reduced power consumption on my Mech card by about 20W.

The other card I have is a MSI RX 5700 that was flashed with the original MSI RX 5700 XT bios. (See attached 5700xt.rom). As the Bios on the Mech card was performing a lot better than the one I had on the RX 5700, I followed the same procedure that I used to get the Gigabyte Bios working on the Mech card (replaced the Sub Vendor and Sub Id by the original bios values). Then I have flashed the RX 5700 with the modified Gigabyte bios (see msi.rom) using amdvbflash 3.04+ Win (the same process I did with the Mech card). That bricked the card and the computer would not be POST.

I have managed to POST by shorting the Bios pins 1 and 8 (Paper clip method), but the amdvbflash 3.04+ Win would not flash (error F0L01), so I used amdvbflash 2.93+ to force flash the previous bios into the card. However it still will not POST.

What else can I try to fix my card?

Thanks in advance

Anhänge

• Mech.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 28
  • 5700xt.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 23
  • msi.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 14
I took the card to another repair shop, and the guy realised that there is one component missing. It probably was removed when I shortened the pins or perhaps when I used the clip for the programmer. Unfortunately, I need to know what is that component so that the guy can replace it for me. I have marked its location with a red circle on the picture below. Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks a lot.
I have barely noticed this missing part before from the existing soldering however I did not notify about it as I was not certain until I get useful information regarding this part and verify it or find an alternative solution in case of not finding a spare for it,

Unfortunately until now I did not manage to get the required information however I believe we will get it sooner or later as it is only a matter of time,

Your best options are now either to get this part from the second vbios chip of RX 5000 series card with dual vbios or to get from a cheap gpu that its vbios chip have same power requirements of your card vbios chip.

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Greetings everyone,

Anyone who have the id problem of 7310 showing in the adapter list for the card after executing amdvbflash - i,

The solution is to enable CSM mode in the motherboard bios settings, it is already verified in the kindly attached link below therefore, please properly enable the CSM as well as the steps in the provided link below if required,

You may have a good day,

Regards.

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Dear community,
I have 2 cards, one is a MSI Mech RX 5700 XT, which I have flashed successfully with a modified Gigabyte Bios (see attached Mech.rom). This Bios is really efficient and increased speed and reduced power consumption on my Mech card by about 20W.

The other card I have is a MSI RX 5700 that was flashed with the original MSI RX 5700 XT bios. (See attached 5700xt.rom). As the Bios on the Mech card was performing a lot better than the one I had on the RX 5700, I followed the same procedure that I used to get the Gigabyte Bios working on the Mech card (replaced the Sub Vendor and Sub Id by the original bios values). Then I have flashed the RX 5700 with the modified Gigabyte bios (see msi.rom) using amdvbflash 3.04+ Win (the same process I did with the Mech card). That bricked the card and the computer would not be POST.

I have managed to POST by shorting the Bios pins 1 and 8 (Paper clip method), but the amdvbflash 3.04+ Win would not flash (error F0L01), so I used amdvbflash 2.93+ to force flash the previous bios into the card. However it still will not POST.

What else can I try to fix my card?

Thanks in advance
Hi there,
i had same problem like you. I have tried many ways to solve it and nothing. I bought EEPROM programmer and flashed vbios from my DUMP file directly. First boot was succesful, WIN10 saw the card correctly even without cooling. After restart PC the card disappeared. I realized that there must be some protection for overheating directly coded in bios, because during the first boot the card was cool and during the second did not. I fitted cooler back to the card... and voallaaa the card is back in operation!!

I can recommend you to buy "CH341A 24 25 Series EEPROM Flash BIOS USB Programmer Module + SOIC8 SOP8 Test Clip For EEPROM 93CXX / 25CXX / 24CXX" from ALIEXPRESS. You can flash your bios with this equipment without desoldering.

I have Gigabyte RX 5700 XT 8G Gaming OC for full information.

Be free to let me know, if you solved this.
Best regards

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Hello, I have tried the DOS boot method, however I could not flash the card. I got the following error:
Cannot Program with input vbios image file ERROR: 0FL01.
I get the same error with amdvbflash 3.04 and I can only flash with 2.93 -f option, but that does not make the card work, only being recognised if I short the pins 1 and 8.

I wonder if there is an equivalent to -f in 3.04 or if I use another flashing algorithm that could get my card working again.

Cheers
Hi did you get the flash to work? when yes please tell me how, thanks

Hi. I could not save my card. In the end either the repair shop or myself damaged the component adjacent to the bios chip on the card. I will sell it as not working on eBay.
If you have a CH341 programmer, the best software I could find is AS Programmer.

Hi. I could not save my card. In the end either the repair shop or myself damaged the component adjacent to the bios chip on the card. I will sell it as not working on eBay.
If you have a CH341 programmer, the best software I could find is AS Programmer.
Use the Parallel driver in Windows

Cheers

Reviving this thread to say thank you for the knowledge resources and share my story of reviving a bricked W5700.

Steps that worked:
1. Have a backup of the original BIOS.
2. Disassemble the heatsink off the card.
3. Short Pin 1-8 on U3 (BIOS SPI), positioned between GPU and PCIe- thanks to Mini_Me for pointing out the board reference, made it really easy to find. I used a stapler clip cut and bent to matching shape.
4. Reinstall the card w/o the heatsink, so the shorting clip is accessible.
5. Have a .bat skript to run the amdvbflash commands provided by Mini_Me on the Desktop of your PC or create one (see next step why).
6. You need to start the PC with the clip installed, boot into windows, remove the clip and run the amdvbflash commands to reflash the original BIOS before the card shuts off due to overheat, so you only have a few seconds to do this. Therefrore use the skript from step 5.

This worked for me and only cost me half a day o_O but I couldn't have done it without your shared knowledge. Will not mess with vbios unless necessary in the future - lesson learned.

Edit some info that might by helpful:
When trying to flash the BIOS with U3 Pin1-8 shorted I got F0L01 "Failed to read ROM". Missing the time window (see step 5, 6 for explanation) would result in F0L01 "Adapter not found". And CSM is enabled on my system ;)

Anhänge

• example skript.txt
    124 Bytes · Aufrufe : 5
Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Oben Unten