Question Bricked RX 5700 card by flashing the wrong bios. It will not POST even when tried to flash the previous bios back

Evertonhs

Mitglied
Bewertungspunkte
Dear community,
I have 2 cards, one is a MSI Mech RX 5700 XT, which I have flashed successfully with a modified Gigabyte Bios (see attached Mech.rom). This Bios is really efficient and increased speed and reduced power consumption on my Mech card by about 20W.

The other card I have is a MSI RX 5700 that was flashed with the original MSI RX 5700 XT bios. (See attached 5700xt.rom). As the Bios on the Mech card was performing a lot better than the one I had on the RX 5700, I followed the same procedure that I used to get the Gigabyte Bios working on the Mech card (replaced the Sub Vendor and Sub Id by the original bios values). Then I have flashed the RX 5700 with the modified Gigabyte bios (see msi.rom) using amdvbflash 3.04+ Win (the same process I did with the Mech card). That bricked the card and the computer would not be POST.

I have managed to POST by shorting the Bios pins 1 and 8 (Paper clip method), but the amdvbflash 3.04+ Win would not flash (error F0L01), so I used amdvbflash 2.93+ to force flash the previous bios into the card. However it still will not POST.

What else can I try to fix my card?

Thanks in advance

Anhänge

• Mech.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 28
  • 5700xt.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 23
  • msi.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 14
I think the repair shop put some sort of glue on the pcb. I ordered a cleaning solution from Amazon and I will post the pictures once cleaned.

I cannot figure out what is the problem. The history of what happened so far with this card is as follows:

1) Got the MSI RX5700 card, flashed the MSI RX5700XT bios with 3.04+. Worked fine for several months as a "XT" card.
2) I Got a MSI Mech RX5700XT card that was running hot. I got a modded RX5700XT Gigabyte Bios from the internet and decided to try it. Temperature on the Mech card went down and framerate up a bit.
3) I thought, Why not try the modded Gigabyte Bios on the RX5700 too? Perhaps it would work the same as in the Mech card. So I flashed it with 3.04+.
4) The computer didn't post after that. So I removed the card, shortened the pins and tried to flash back the original bios with 3.04+. It would not do it, saying error 0FL01.
5) I managed to flash the original bios back with 2.93+ but it would only be recognised once the pins were shortened. At least the computer would Post if I didn't shorten the pins
6) I sent it to a repair shop in London, but they said they couldn't fix it and returned it to me. That is where I think it got dirty.
7) With the latest Bios of Capivara and Minime the card is recognised as a 5700XT without shortening the pins but drivers fail to load, (code 43). After about an hour with the computer on, the card disappears from Device manager.

I sincerely appreciate your help. Thanks

Cheers

I think the repair shop put some sort of glue on the pcb. I ordered a cleaning solution from Amazon and I will post the pictures once cleaned.

I cannot figure out what is the problem. The history of what happened so far with this card is as follows:

1) Got the MSI RX5700 card, flashed the MSI RX5700XT bios with 3.04+. Worked fine for several months as a "XT" card.
2) I Got a MSI Mech RX5700XT card that was running hot. I got a modded RX5700XT Gigabyte Bios from the internet and decided to try it. Temperature on the Mech card went down and framerate up a bit.
3) I thought, Why not try the modded Gigabyte Bios on the RX5700 too? Perhaps it would work the same as in the Mech card. So I flashed it with 3.04+.
4) The computer didn't post after that. So I removed the card, shortened the pins and tried to flash back the original bios with 3.04+. It would not do it, saying error 0FL01.
5) I managed to flash the original bios back with 2.93+ but it would only be recognised once the pins were shortened. At least the computer would Post if I didn't shorten the pins
6) I sent it to a repair shop in London, but they said they couldn't fix it and returned it to me. That is where I think it got dirty.
7) With the latest Bios of Capivara and Minime the card is recognised as a 5700XT without shortening the pins but drivers fail to load, (code 43). After about an hour with the computer on, the card disappears from Device manager.

I sincerely appreciate your help. Thanks

Cheers
How about flashing the card using the amdvbflash v3.04+, first run as administrator the insttool64.exe then run as administrator the cmd and flash the original backup vbios.

@8j0ern I would agree if there wouldnt be any progress with the amdvbflash, but Everton was able to bring it back to device manager
so i am sure it is about the bios file itself

please see attached 2 other bios versions

regarding drivers, try to manually load xt and non xt drivers and see what is the windows reaction on that

for flashing, please use 2.93+ only for now , it should give better results
Ok, I understand.

What about the Dual Bios or the Bios switch on the PCB, are there two Bios files in sepperate Memory Areas, depending on the switch it change only the Access Adress ?

Did GPUz reading/storing the hole ROM or only that portion which the switch points ?

Ok, I understand.

What about the Dual Bios or the Bios switch on the PCB, are there two Bios files in sepperate Memory Areas, depending on the switch it change only the Access Adress ?

Did GPUz reading/storing the hole ROM or only that portion which the switch points ?
Unfortunately i think that my card doesn't have dual bios. There is no switch as far as I can tell.

GPUz only stored 512Kb of the original Bios.

here 3 possible options

Anhänge

• fromxtstock.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 8
  • test2.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 7
  • test1.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 5
this should be a good one for flashing from 5700 to 5700xt
worth a shot

Anhänge

• MSI.RX5700XT.8192.190903.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 8
and another 2 xt versions they would fit to your gpu

and flash with 2.93 as well
not plus
maybe it makes a difference

Anhänge

• AMD.RX5700XT.8192.190616.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 6
  • MSI.RX5700XT.8192.190903 (1).rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 6
I tried this again, flashed with 3.04 with no errors and the card is not recognised, unless I shorten the pins.
This is the bios file I used (original from the card)
Hi again,

do you try to re-seat the GPU after flashing ?

Maybe the System goes only to Sleep State and did not Initialyse the Bios on "Power on"
Removing the Power cord from the wall for 1 hour should also work.

PSU have much Farad and can @ Sleep State holding the Power for a while...

Just CMOS it and finish... Power Cord of the Wall for an hour... pfff

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator :
Perhaps you are right.
After trying Minime's latest Bios, I still got Code 43. This is the GPU-Z of the card:
1616874686253.png

Clearly there is something wrong with it. I cannot believe a wrong Bios can definitely brick a card, but it seems so in this case.

Thanks all for the help.

Cheers

i had similar problem... if you flash wrong vbios, and have CSM disabled on MB BIOS, it won't post. I enabled CSM, MB posted, OS booted, i had asterisk by the RX5700XT in the Device Manager, but i was ale to flash it with correct bios.

Thank you, but my issue is more complex than that. I did manage to flash the correct bios, but the card still wouldn't work. A few other bios managed to get Windows to see the card with Code 43, but I have never managed to get the card to load the drivers. I did try with both CSM enabled and disabled, to no avail.

I took the card to another repair shop, and the guy realised that there is one component missing. It probably was removed when I shortened the pins or perhaps when I used the clip for the programmer. Unfortunately, I need to know what is that component so that the guy can replace it for me. I have marked its location with a red circle on the picture below. Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks a lot.

Anhänge

• front damaged component.jpg
    front damaged component.jpg
    1,5 MB · Aufrufe : 44
Hmm looks like a Capacitor or Resistor. Maybe the Repairshop guy can identify it by these pictures

this is the datasheet of your bios
the missing component seems to be connected with pin 8 (VCC, Power Supply) and/or pin 7 (HOLD# (IO3), Hold Input Data Input Output 3)

Oben Unten