Question Bricked RX 5700 card by flashing the wrong bios. It will not POST even when tried to flash the previous bios back

Evertonhs

Mitglied
Bewertungspunkte
Dear community,
I have 2 cards, one is a MSI Mech RX 5700 XT, which I have flashed successfully with a modified Gigabyte Bios (see attached Mech.rom). This Bios is really efficient and increased speed and reduced power consumption on my Mech card by about 20W.

The other card I have is a MSI RX 5700 that was flashed with the original MSI RX 5700 XT bios. (See attached 5700xt.rom). As the Bios on the Mech card was performing a lot better than the one I had on the RX 5700, I followed the same procedure that I used to get the Gigabyte Bios working on the Mech card (replaced the Sub Vendor and Sub Id by the original bios values). Then I have flashed the RX 5700 with the modified Gigabyte bios (see msi.rom) using amdvbflash 3.04+ Win (the same process I did with the Mech card). That bricked the card and the computer would not be POST.

I have managed to POST by shorting the Bios pins 1 and 8 (Paper clip method), but the amdvbflash 3.04+ Win would not flash (error F0L01), so I used amdvbflash 2.93+ to force flash the previous bios into the card. However it still will not POST.

What else can I try to fix my card?

Thanks in advance

Anhänge

• Mech.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 28
  • 5700xt.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 23
  • msi.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 14
You are really good at this. I think the issue has to do with the Sub ID (SSID) field in the RBE. When it is 731F the computer recognises the card, but the driver doesn't. When I try to flash it with the original Sub ID 0B36, then I have to shorten the pins. I note that the SSID is also 731F, so on boot, for some reason, the computer checks if SSID = DeviceID = 731F and if not it disables the card before Windows loads.

Where can I download Pixel Patch?

Again, thanks for the help.

Cheers

I attach 3 files:

1) The Original Bios of the bricked RX5700 card
2) The Original Bios of the MSI MECH RX5700XT Card that worked with teh modded Gigabyte Bios
3) The modded Gigabyte Bios that bricked the RX5700, but works fine on the Mech card

Anhänge

• 5700Original.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 7
  • Mech5700XT Stock.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 10
Sorry, The last file is this one. It is running on the Mech card without issues

Anhänge

• Mech Mod Bios.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 9
I ran DDU and the following error now appears:
1616610737170.png

I have used the attached bios file

Anhänge

• LatestXT1.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 3
After reinstalling the Adrenalin drivers, I still got Code 43. At least in Windows the card is listed now, but still not working.

After reinstalling the Adrenalin drivers, I still got Code 43. At least in Windows the card is listed now, but still not working.
Hi, I think it was a inpossible Mission to get it back to work by flashing over the PCI-Express.
Maybe it help to use a JTAG Programmer and flash the Bios direct Back to the Bios Chip.

But thats still my theory and nothing praxis relevant on GPU Bios restoring.

I am no dreamer, I restore a couple of Industry Mainboards by using a jtag Programmer, including Altera, which is buyed by Intel now.

@8j0ern I would agree if there wouldnt be any progress with the amdvbflash, but Everton was able to bring it back to device manager
so i am sure it is about the bios file itself

please see attached 2 other bios versions

regarding drivers, try to manually load xt and non xt drivers and see what is the windows reaction on that

for flashing, please use 2.93+ only for now , it should give better results

Anhänge

• 5700xtmodgigabiosmechxt.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 6
  • 5700modgigabiosmechxt.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 5
I have tried flashing the bios file directly to the bios with my CH341A programmer, but it made no difference whatsoever.

I will try the 2 files shared by Capivara. I am intrigued as to why the original bios are not working.

Cheers

I have tried flashing the bios file directly to the bios with my CH341A programmer, but it made no difference whatsoever.

I will try the 2 files shared by Capivara. I am intrigued as to why the original bios are not working.

Cheers
Greetings,

Please test the official vbios file in the kindly attached link below, and as usual flash using amdvbflash v2.93+ with -f command,

Anhänge

• MSI-RX57-v68.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 11
Hi, Thank you Mini_Me for the bios. It is recognised by Windows, but still showing Code 43. Could it be because the fan is not connected?

I have flashed the second bios with the Bios programmer. Still getting Code 43.

I will try to clean the PCB properly. Thanks for the tip

Cheers

Oben Unten