Question Bricked RX 5700 card by flashing the wrong bios. It will not POST even when tried to flash the previous bios back

Evertonhs

Mitglied
Bewertungspunkte
Dear community,
I have 2 cards, one is a MSI Mech RX 5700 XT, which I have flashed successfully with a modified Gigabyte Bios (see attached Mech.rom). This Bios is really efficient and increased speed and reduced power consumption on my Mech card by about 20W.

The other card I have is a MSI RX 5700 that was flashed with the original MSI RX 5700 XT bios. (See attached 5700xt.rom). As the Bios on the Mech card was performing a lot better than the one I had on the RX 5700, I followed the same procedure that I used to get the Gigabyte Bios working on the Mech card (replaced the Sub Vendor and Sub Id by the original bios values). Then I have flashed the RX 5700 with the modified Gigabyte bios (see msi.rom) using amdvbflash 3.04+ Win (the same process I did with the Mech card). That bricked the card and the computer would not be POST.

I have managed to POST by shorting the Bios pins 1 and 8 (Paper clip method), but the amdvbflash 3.04+ Win would not flash (error F0L01), so I used amdvbflash 2.93+ to force flash the previous bios into the card. However it still will not POST.

What else can I try to fix my card?

Thanks in advance

Anhänge

• Mech.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 28
  • 5700xt.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 23
  • msi.rom
    512 KB · Aufrufe : 14
I have flashed the card with the original bios with the amdvbflash you sent and it did not require the - f option, but unfortunately the card is still not recognised by the computer, unless I short the pins 1 and 8. When I do so, it does not load the drivers for that card only.
At least the computer POST with the card attached to it, so it is an improvement of sorts.
Thanks again for the help.

Hi. After reviewing what I did that bricked my MSI RX 5700 card (it only has a single bios chip), I realise that I flashed a 1024Kb Bios file whilst the original Bios had only 512Kb. Could that be the cause of the issue? My other card, MSI Mech RX5700XT can take the 1024kb bios file. I have tried flashing back the original bios, but the card remains non recognised by the computer.

Yes I did unlock the rom before any flash attempt. It would give me the same error on both 3.04+ and the DOS version. The 2.93+ version seems to work, but then the situation remains the same, the computer POST, but the card does not show on Windows or on amdvbflash -i, unless I short the pins before boot.

I am in the very same situation, so maybe those info can help also Eertonhs.
Here an update, yesterday I was able to try the card with another working 5700xt as primary card with monitor connected: if I do not short the pin, the second and bricked card is not recognized at all, if I short the Pin I see that card with errors.
So here I have tried to flash via UEFI Boot, with the BIOS I suppose to be the right one (unfortunately I am not sure as I got the card already bricked):

01 Iniziale.jpeg
02 flashing ok.jpg
As you can see the flashing is succesfull. I am really wondering now about the deviceID, as it seems to be currently wrongly 7310, and the correct and new one 731F.
The point is that after the flashing the behaviour is still the same, not seen even from win10 or Linux, the only way is to start with a shortpin.

Here some screen about the linux error (2 x 5700xt - one working one bricked):

Linux Error.jpegLinux Error 3.jpeg

So I am wondering: could be the device id an issue? It is written as new 731F with succesfull flashing, but after if I read it again after a reboot with shortpin, I see again the previous one 7310. (and also the working 5700xt has 731F)
Another point still possible, is that I'm still using a wrong BIOS.

Thanks to all for any suggestion!

Perhaps that may indeed be the issue. My card is an original MSI RX 5700 and it was flashed before with a MSI RX5700XT bios successfully. The problem started when I flashed it again with another RX5700XT bios from a modified Gigabyte bios, that was working fine on my other MSI MECH RX 5700XT card with faster memory timings. I wonder if there is a way to completely erase the bios on the card and then flash the original bios from scratch. The card is simly ignored by my computer when the pins aren't shorted.
Thanks a lot for your help.

I am in the very same situation, so maybe those info can help also Eertonhs.
Here an update, yesterday I was able to try the card with another working 5700xt as primary card with monitor connected: if I do not short the pin, the second and bricked card is not recognized at all, if I short the Pin I see that card with errors.
So here I have tried to flash via UEFI Boot, with the BIOS I suppose to be the right one (unfortunately I am not sure as I got the card already bricked):

Anhang anzeigen 11308
Anhang anzeigen 11309
As you can see the flashing is succesfull. I am really wondering now about the deviceID, as it seems to be currently wrongly 7310, and the correct and new one 731F.
The point is that after the flashing the behaviour is still the same, not seen even from win10 or Linux, the only way is to start with a shortpin.

Here some screen about the linux error (2 x 5700xt - one working one bricked):

Anhang anzeigen 11310 Anhang anzeigen 11311

So I am wondering: could be the device id an issue? It is written as new 731F with succesfull flashing, but after if I read it again after a reboot with shortpin, I see again the previous one 7310. (and also the working 5700xt has 731F)
Another point still possible, is that I'm still using a wrong BIOS.

Thanks to all for any suggestion!
I believe it is better to buy a new vbios chip to check whether the problem is the chip or not.

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
I have ordered the chip, but perhaps before I remove the existing chip, I will try to use an external programmer like the one in this video. CH341A 24 25 Series EEPROM Flash BIOS USB Programmer + SOIC8 Clip -
. I will let you know if it works.

Cheers

I have ordered the chip, but perhaps before I remove the existing chip, I will try to use an external programmer like the one in this video. CH341A 24 25 Series EEPROM Flash BIOS USB Programmer + SOIC8 Clip -
. I will let you know if it works.

Cheers
Have you requested from the seller to program it for you before shipping?

Hey man, I have already tried this without success. I mean, exactly same behaviour as flashing via UEFI at boot.
Anyway as it is quite cheap, I suppose it is worth to give it a try, maybe in your case it could work.
In the meanwhile, I have opened a ticket with Sapphire Support to have the stock Bios, still wondering about the possibility to do not having the right one.

Hey man, I have already tried this without success. I mean, exactly same behaviour as flashing via UEFI at boot.
Anyway as it is quite cheap, I suppose it is worth to give it a try, maybe in your case it could work.
In the meanwhile, I have opened a ticket with Sapphire Support to have the stock Bios, still wondering about the possibility to do not having the right one.
The current id of your card is a generic one 7310 which is for W5700X Pro.

woah thanks as first! so this is a issue for sure!
so in your opinion, why if I flash with a BIOS with right id, after a reboot (with shortpin) I see again that id? faulty bios chip?
I believe when shortening the pin you erase the vbios chip, shortening must be before the reflashing of the original vbios, however if the id is still generic 7310 that is mean for sure the vbios chip needs replacement.

I think if we can revive these boards by replacing the Bios chip, I will start looking at buying faulty GPUs on eBay...

Oben Unten