Question Bricked Gigabyte Radeon 5700 XT OC 8Gb making motherboard doesn't POST (solutions?)

Jokin

Neuling
Bewertungspunkte
Hi all.

I was trying to flash the BIOS of a Gigabyte Radeon 5700 XT OC 8Gb Rev1.0, but, I made a mistake, and now it's bricked.

The problem I am facing, is that, even though my Motherboard, (Gigabyte GA-B250-FinTech) has an integrated graphic card, when I plug in the 5700XT the mobo, doesn't POST, and I am having a black screen. It seems the mobo detects the bricked card (I think) and it is not starting.

I read that the some other motherboards, can POST correctly even when they have a bricked cards conneted (configured as a secondary graphic card).

Does anyone know motherboard that allows to do that? (The idea is to buy it, and have it as a backup/restoration motherboard, in case of another bricked card).

I know there are some method disassembling the card, and cutting some BIOS memory connections can fix the problem, but, I prefer a software fix if possible. This will be the last bullet if everyother tries fail.

Thanks for your help.

Lösung
I tried that with two different methods:
1) With the pcie*1 disconnected, turn on the pc, and while the motherboard is loading I connected the pcie*1 and the fan started to work, but when I logged in windows/Hiveos, the card is not detected.
2) With the pcie*1 connected to the motherboard, but the usb cable from the riser to the pci disconnected, and as soon as the motherboard started loading I connected the usb to the riser, but same result, the fan started to work, but the card is not detected by windows or hiveos.
In case the guide above did not work then let us do the below,

- Either while the pc is turned off and the card connected to the pcie x1 using a gpu riser adapter, after you turn the pc on, press F12 on the loading...
Hi all.

I was trying to flash the BIOS of a Gigabyte Radeon 5700 XT OC 8Gb Rev1.0, but, I made a mistake, and now it's bricked.

The problem I am facing, is that, even though my Motherboard, (Gigabyte GA-B250-FinTech) has an integrated graphic card, when I plug in the 5700XT the mobo, doesn't POST, and I am having a black screen. It seems the mobo detects the bricked card (I think) and it is not starting.

I read that the some other motherboards, can POST correctly even when they have a bricked cards conneted (configured as a secondary graphic card).

Does anyone know motherboard that allows to do that? (The idea is to buy it, and have it as a backup/restoration motherboard, in case of another bricked card).

I know there are some method disassembling the card, and cutting some BIOS memory connections can fix the problem, but, I prefer a software fix if possible. This will be the last bullet if everyother tries fail.

Thanks for your help.
Hi and welcome,

Please follow the steps below to recover the bricked gpu if a cpu with integrated gpu is on board,

- Disconnect your bricked gpu card,

- Connect the onboard integrated gpu to the display using a VGA cable,

- Clear CMOS and update the motherboard bios to the latest version if it is not updated yet,

- In the motherboard bios, set the Initial display output and choose the onboard integrated gpu IGFX as the first display,

- Reconnect the bricked gpu to the motherboard,

- Save the bios setting and reboot,

- Download Rufus program from the official link below, and make a FreeDOS bootable USB flash drive,

https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/releases/download/v3.13/rufus-3.13p.exe

- Download the Amdvbflash_DOS_v4.68 from the link below, and extract the amdvbflash.exe to the FreeDOS bootable USB flash drive,

https://www.igorslab.de/community/attachments/amdvbflash_dos_v4-68-zip.8238/

- Disable secure boot in the motherboard bios setting, and your OS whether it is HiveOS or Windows 10 must be installed on an MBR partition,

- Keep the FreeDOS bootable USB flash drive connected,

- Restart the pc and when the motherboard on loading screen, press F12 and choose from the boot menu, the FreeDOS bootable USB flash drive, and enter these commands below:

amdvbflash.exe -i
Press Enter

It will show you the gpu adapters list occupying the pcie slots for an example if there is only one gpu then its adapter number will be 0.
###########
amdvbflash.exe -unlockrom 0
Press Enter

It will unlock the gpu chip for flashing if it is locked.
###########
amdvbflash.exe -s 0 chooseAname.rom
Press Enter

To make a backup of the gpu bios if needed.
###########
amdvbflash.exe -p 0 OriginalBackupVBios.ROM
Press Enter

To flash the bios, here - fa to force the flash in case of error.
###########

- Wait for the update to complete and reboot.

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Hi.

Thanks for the quick reply, I followed the steps you wrote, but I still have the issue:

- Disconnect your bricked Gigabyte card -DONE
- Clear CMOS and update the motherboard bios to the latest version if it is not updated yet, --DONE (last version F4a)
- In the motherboard bios, go to Peripherals, then click on Initial Display Output and choose IGFX to set the onboard graphics as the first display
--DONE
- Save the bios setting and reboot --DONE

- Connect your bricked card and reboot to Windows safe mode or Linux --Not possible, once I connect the bricked card if I turn on the power, the motherboard initial check is not passed, and a status LED of the VGA is on, and the system doesnt't start :(
So, I am stuck at this point.

Any ideas on to continue from this point?
1607269935755.png

Hi.

Thanks for the quick reply, I followed the steps you wrote, but I still have the issue:

- Disconnect your bricked Gigabyte card -DONE
- Clear CMOS and update the motherboard bios to the latest version if it is not updated yet, --DONE (last version F4a)
- In the motherboard bios, go to Peripherals, then click on Initial Display Output and choose IGFX to set the onboard graphics as the first display
--DONE
- Save the bios setting and reboot --DONE

- Connect your bricked card and reboot to Windows safe mode or Linux --Not possible, once I connect the bricked card if I turn on the power, the motherboard initial check is not passed, and a status LED of the VGA is on, and the system doesnt't start :(
So, I am stuck at this point.

Any ideas on to continue from this point?
Anhang anzeigen 8155
Please connect the bricked card to a pcie x1 slot above or below the pcie x16 and install HiveOS on a usb flash drive as MBR partition and boot to HiveOS and reflash your bricked card.

And please connect you display cable to the motherboard vga output and not the bricked card.

Ok, I will try that tomorrow (I don't have any riser with me right now), and I will let you know if it worked.

Thank you so much for your help :)

Hi, sorry for taking too long to answer you, I was running some tests, but unfortunately nothing seems to work.

Please connect the bricked card to a pcie x1 slot above or below the pcie x16 and install HiveOS on a usb flash drive as MBR partition and boot to HiveOS and reflash your bricked card.

And please connect you display cable to the motherboard vga output and not the bricked card.

Following your steps, that's what I have tested so far, always having the bricked card connected to a pcie*1 via riser, and the display cable to the motherboard:

1) Connect the power cables to the card, and I try to start the motherboard. The motherboard is still not doing the POST, it shows the same error (VGA status led on) as when I connected the card directly to the pcie*16.
1607346074862.png
2) a) Disconnect the power cables from the card, start motherboard, now it starts ok. Start windows, and look at the devices manager, the bricked card is not detected.
b) Same test on HiveOS, same result, no card detected by the SO.

3) Having the power cables disconnected from the card, start the motherboard, now it starts ok, and once windows/hiveos has loaded completely, connect the power cables to the card, look at the device manager, the bricked card is not detected, and same on hiveos, the card is not detected by the SO.

1607346742096.png
1607346908467.png
1607347378794.png

I am not sure what else I can try, not sure how to continue from here. :S

Any ideas? (anything will be more than welcome :) )

Hi, sorry for taking too long to answer you, I was running some tests, but unfortunately nothing seems to work.

Following your steps, that's what I have tested so far, always having the bricked card connected to a pcie*1 via riser, and the display cable to the motherboard:

1) Connect the power cables to the card, and I try to start the motherboard. The motherboard is still not doing the POST, it shows the same error (VGA status led on) as when I connected the card directly to the pcie*16.
Anhang anzeigen 8200
2) a) Disconnect the power cables from the card, start motherboard, now it starts ok. Start windows, and look at the devices manager, the bricked card is not detected.
b) Same test on HiveOS, same result, no card detected by the SO.

3) Having the power cables disconnected from the card, start the motherboard, now it starts ok, and once windows/hiveos has loaded completely, connect the power cables to the card, look at the device manager, the bricked card is not detected, and same on hiveos, the card is not detected by the SO.

Anhang anzeigen 8201
Anhang anzeigen 8202
Anhang anzeigen 8203

I am not sure what else I can try, not sure how to continue from here. :S

Any ideas? (anything will be more than welcome :) )
Hi,

No need to be sorry at all,

Let us try this, disconnect the card and turn off the pc then turn on the pc and when the bios at loading screen and before it boot the system connect the card to the pcie, if the boot is too fast then in motherboard bios disable fast boot or change it to normal.

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
1) With the pcie*1 disconnected, turn on the pc, and while the motherboard is loading I connected the pcie*1 and the fan started to work, but when I logged in windows/Hiveos, the card is not detected.
2) With the pcie*1 connected to the motherboard, but the usb cable from the riser to the pci disconnected, and as soon as the motherboard started loading I connected the usb to the riser, but same result, the fan started to work, but the card is not detected by windows or hiveos.

In case the guide above did not work then let us do the below,

- Either while the pc is turned off and the card connected to the pcie x1 using a gpu riser adapter, after you turn the pc on, press F12 on the loading screen before booting to the OS and choose from the boot menu, the FreeDOS bootable USB flash drive,

- Or with a pcie x1 riser adapter connected to the motherboard, disconnect the usb cable from the riser to the gpu pcie x16 riser, turn on the pc and when the motherboard on loading screen, connect the usb to the pcie x1 riser then press F12 and choose from the boot menu, the FreeDOS bootable USB flash drive,

- In case of the pc boot speed is too fast then in the motherboard bios settings disable fast boot or change it to normal.

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Lösung
Well great news, finally the card is back, the steps using FreeDOS worked really nice :)
I had to use the specific version of ATIflash for DOS: Download ATI ATIFlash / AMD VBFlash 4.68 | TechPowerUp

I applied the method of having the pcie*1 disconnected and when the motherboard was booting connect it back, but it took me a few tries to make it work (finally I realise that the pcie*1 has to be connected on the exact moment when the motherboard is checking the VGA connections at start (while the VGA status led is ON), if I connect the pcie before or after it doesn't work.

Thank you so much for your time and for all your knowlegde (I have learnt a lot with this, and hopefully I will not brick another card :( ) :)

Well great news, finally the card is back, the steps using FreeDOS worked really nice :)
I had to use the specific version of ATIflash for DOS: Download ATI ATIFlash / AMD VBFlash 4.68 | TechPowerUp

I applied the method of having the pcie*1 disconnected and when the motherboard was booting connect it back, but it took me a few tries to make it work (finally I realise that the pcie*1 has to be connected on the exact moment when the motherboard is checking the VGA connections at start (while the VGA status led is ON), if I connect the pcie before or after it doesn't work.

Thank you so much for your time and for all your knowlegde (I have learnt a lot with this, and hopefully I will not brick another card :( ) :)
Great news, and do not worry we are here whenever you need help,

Please do mark this thread as solved to let others learn about it,

You may have a good day,

Best Regards.

By the way, did the AtiFlashTool v2.93+ work in the FreeDOS?

No it didn't, instead of the v2.93+ I had to use the version for DOS(amdvbflash_dos_4.68) Download ATI ATIFlash / AMD VBFlash 4.68 | TechPowerUp
The only difference is that -f option is not included in the DOS version, but the rest of command worked fine.
Thank you for your kind and informative reply,

I am going yo update and refine the steps above,

I wish you all the best in the future and to live healthy, happy and peaceful life,

Best Wishes.

Thank you for all the help you provided me, without you I would still have a bricked card, and no ideas on how to fix it :)

I wish you the same.
Best Regards :)

Same thing, but the MOBO does not post with GPU installed, goes into continuous boot loop, unable to press F12 or enter bios.
Tried into pcix16 or x1 via riser. With or without 12v power connected.
Without power connected or if I plug riser when mobo is starting I am able to boot but FreeDOS does not see the card.
Tried to plug riser into x1 or usb into riser when system starts before VGA led, afre and at the same time - card is not detected by FreeDOS or Win.

Oben Unten