Question Any risk flashing RX 6800 to 6800 XT with CH341A?

Oblivionxt

Neuling
Bewertungspunkte
I ordered a CH341A bios programmer to flash a bricked 5700 XT.

I am tempted to flash my RX 6800 with the XT bios to see what happens. Since the programmer reads and writes the data directly at the chip, backing up the 6800 bios should be easy enough.

Any other risks I should be aware of?

I am also curious if I can use any 512k bios file from Techpowerup and just add the 512k worth of blank bits to the end and flash?

I will just have to find a full 1024k if that is not an option.

Hi Oblivionxt!

"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong."

Losing the card wouldn't be worth it to me. Since an additional adapter is necessary, there are many possible sources of error. If the card were older, ok. But not at the current retail prices. I have not tried it yet. But the pictures on the WWW about the programmer are enough for me. That would be too dangerous for me.

I think it should be pretty safe as long as you make a 1024 backup of your current bios, as you could always flash back, and you do need a 1024 bios file to the best of my knowledge, although I don't remember which tool can extract those. I believe everything on Techpowerup were 512s. I have a CH314A programmer and I am just waiting for my waterblock to clear customs and ship and I will be trying this myself.

Oben Unten