Question AMD Radeon Pro W5700 for mining ethereum

nivrij

Mitglied
Bewertungspunkte
I am contemplating about buying this card because someone is offering this to me for a cheaper price here where I live. From my understanding, this card is just the "professional" / "workstation" equivalent of RX 5700 XT.

1609973853980.png

Any thoughts on this card? Has anyone here actually used this for mining? Does anyone know what the hashrate is? Can an unlocked BIOS be flashed on this GPU?

Hi guys, interesting thread here :)
At the moment also W5700 are sold out here...

But the "AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100" are available.
Did someone know how the performance and consumptions are?

..or the WX7100 :)?

Maybe @stone1978 could post a list?

Hi guys, interesting thread here :)
At the moment also W5700 are sold out here...

But the "AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100" are available.
Did someone know how the performance and consumptions are?

..or the WX7100 :)?

Maybe @stone1978 could post a list?
I have both a WX5100 and WX7100. The BIOS can be modified, at stock the WX5100 pulls 17MH/s and the WX7100 24MH/s.

I managed to get the WX5100 to run at 25MH/s by increasing TDP to 60W and memory to 1900MHz. The WX7100 managed 27MH/s with similar tweaks but it was unstable, so I run that at stock. To my surprise the WX5100 is surprisingly efficient, and though it runs hot, the hash-rate is high considering the low power draw.

@WidgyRocks The WX9100 is a fully enabled Vega (64CU instead of 56CU) much like Vega 64 but with 16GB of memory.

60W on the software or realy at the wall?
That would be insane efficient on the wall :D
Not at the wall unfortunately :cry: I think the card had a 47W power limit in the stock BIOS, I bumped it to 60 to give it a fighting chance at getting core clocks closer to 1200MHz, and also raised the clocks a bit so it would clock higher at those lower voltages. All in was pretty fun! Wasn't sure if this 47W stock power limit included GDDR power draw so was a little anxious about exceeding the 75W slot power by too much.

Greetings and thank you all for your patience in advance. I have been playing with the WX cards (5100 and 7100) with good results as the user @exhaustedbrit reports - some of the 5100's will only yield 19MH/s others 25 by reducing the Clock and boosting the VRAM clock. The 7100 with tweaking can get a stable 26 with decent temps. So with the crazy situation on cards I decided to try my luck with the W5500 and picked up two from ebay at a decent price. Stock I get 25Mh/s with decent temp. So I go to dump the BIOS and depending on what I use I either get a 512KB or I get 1,024KB file. Either one gives garbled info when I try to load them into Red BIOS Editor v1.07 and does not have most values like VRAM Timings. I have read carefully through this thread which is about the W5700 aside from a few mentions about the W5500. The learned member @Mini_Me mentions in one post that it is "locked". I have learned much about the various settings of the WX series using PolarisBios Editor and was hoping to apply that knowledge to these cards but cannot figure out how to get at the BIOS settings to start modifying them. Has anyone had any luck with the W5500 and can point me in the right direction? Much gratitude for any tips.W5500RedBIOSEditor.jpg

Greetings and thank you all for your patience in advance. I have been playing with the WX cards (5100 and 7100) with good results as the user @exhaustedbrit reports - some of the 5100's will only yield 19MH/s others 25 by reducing the Clock and boosting the VRAM clock. The 7100 with tweaking can get a stable 26 with decent temps. So with the crazy situation on cards I decided to try my luck with the W5500 and picked up two from ebay at a decent price. Stock I get 25Mh/s with decent temp. So I go to dump the BIOS and depending on what I use I either get a 512KB or I get 1,024KB file. Either one gives garbled info when I try to load them into Red BIOS Editor v1.07 and does not have most values like VRAM Timings. I have read carefully through this thread which is about the W5700 aside from a few mentions about the W5500. The learned member @Mini_Me mentions in one post that it is "locked". I have learned much about the various settings of the WX series using PolarisBios Editor and was hoping to apply that knowledge to these cards but cannot figure out how to get at the BIOS settings to start modifying them. Has anyone had any luck with the W5500 and can point me in the right direction? Much gratitude for any tips. Anhang anzeigen 11980
Greetings and welcome,

Please send me the original backup vbios of the W5500 and I may be able to unlock it for you.

Thank you for your quick reply. I attach the version I extracted with 293+ which is 1024KB - I can also send the 512KB version if that is better!

Anhänge

• StockW5500.rom
    1 MB · Aufrufe : 8
Thank you for your quick reply. I attach the version I extracted with 293+ which is 1024KB - I can also send the 512KB version if that is better!
Great, If we successfully unlocked it then Mr. Hellm will add the support of 5500 cards to RedBiosEditor,

The 512KB and the 1024KB are the same, the myth that spread in the mining community is false.

Great - I wait in eager anticipation. May I ask about the "pads" you have mentioned earlier in this thread? The only problem with the Radeon Oro cards is heat - they cook like hell. I would love to find a way to cool them better. Do you know of any guides or forum-links where I can find something on this topic for these specific cards?

Bewertungen: MfA
this is such an awesome forum im glad i found it @Mini_Me once i get my w5700 cards can you help me unlock and optimize them ? i am getting 5 cards maybe this week or next week ...i love communities like this!

If anyone is interested I discovered that the W550 responds to the "kmd_isgamingdriver" registry DWORD and allows you to do some "game" tuning - blue turns to red. You can easily drop the core-clock way down without penalty - saving a lot of power and really reducing the temps. On the other hand it does not respond well to overclocking the vram up to the max allowed of 1860 - yielding only 1 more Mh/s from 25 to 26. I am guessing the straps put it at a worse-off latency. But at least it is a start if you have one - I get mine down to around 60W or less

If anyone is interested I discovered that the W550 responds to the "kmd_isgamingdriver" registry DWORD and allows you to do some "game" tuning - blue turns to red. You can easily drop the core-clock way down without penalty - saving a lot of power and really reducing the temps. On the other hand it does not respond well to overclocking the vram up to the max allowed of 1860 - yielding only 1 more Mh/s from 25 to 26. I am guessing the straps put it at a worse-off latency. But at least it is a start if you have one - I get mine down to around 60W or less
No worries I am going to send you an unlocked vbios files to test and verify their unlocking, if there is no code 43 or black screen after booting then it is a success.

I have been using Mini_Me's 102 drivers so far, and with a little additional tweaking I have been able to stably produce 54.7 MH/s @ 97W. If you use the 102 firmware, my modifications were:

CORE VOLT 800 mV
VDDCI 800mV
MEMORY STATE VOLTAGE 1350mV
CORE 1380MHz
MEM 875MHz

Thank you again Mini_Me, this was very helpful.
is posible version for 103. My Readeon 5700 is HP Thanks
1616790847708.png

W5500 Update 26MH/s @ less than 50W:
To add some more exact figures for those who are interested in these potentially amazing cards I finally reached the following yields with corresponding settings:

Feed one single W5500 and Riser from independent 1200W HP Server PSU to get at-the-wall consumption
TeamRedMiner on very clean Windows 10. PhoenixMiner is a few Mh's less I found
Latest Adrenalin-2020-21.3.1-Win10-64Bit-Mar24 driver. Makes no difference any driver from the last year or so
Switch to Gaming mode. In WattMan set:
Down-clock to 950Mhz and Voltage to 781 (P3) it will run at 935Mhz and pull 781mV
Set VRAM to the max of 1860Mhz (will not go above 1838 actual)

Now the temp in Celsius drops from upper 80's (like average 86c ambient is 24c) down to low 50's
The HP PSU draws 18W before starting the miner. Once started it draws 73W to 74W at the wall. WattMan and HWinfo both show 47W

Very solid and stable 26.45Mh/s at approx 50Watts and 52c with fan at 3,700rpm

Now what is the downside of this card? Well the problem is you cannot mix this with any other previous-gen Radeon Pro cards like the WX series. Once you do that you lose the ability to set the Fan Speed for the WX cards and they over-heat on their ridiculously conservative fan-speeds. WattMan will only allow you to set the W5500 as the previous cards simply do not appear in the tuning sections - reg-fix or no reg-fix. There is probably a way to get the fans working better on the WX cards in BIOS mods but I have never managed to get them to do it, no matter the settings in the Polaris Bios Editor. And maybe also a way to do it with command-line in TeamRed but I also never understood the TR fine-tuning - it is way above my pay-grade.

Anyhow if the geniuses here on this forum manage to crack the BIOS it will be interesting to see if we can get more MH's for this very low consumption-card

Thanks Mini_Me and Colinstoner for the unlocked and tweaked ROM!

I flashed it onto 2 cards i just received (an HP one with what i believe is Micron RAM and a regular one with Samsung RAM). Results are around 55Mh @ 97W and 53.5Mh @ 93W, respectively. Running perfectly stable so far and GPU temps are accordingly great. However, the memory temperatures on these cards are absolutely outrageous, I had to manually up the fan speed quite a bit to stay at a reasonable level. Memory is running around 30°C hotter than the GPU in both cases.

I'd like to do something about that and from what I have gathered in this thread, it's all about replacing the thermal pads? I'd prefer disassembling them only once, so my question is which pads are the right ones regarding size and which would you guys recommend? I'm located near Munich/Germany, so I suppose trying to order a sample of 2mm Sarcon XR-Um from Fujipoly like Mini_Me suggested is the way to go? Not sure they ship them from Munich since it's only a liaison office. Also, I wasn't able to find XR-Um on their sample request from or from any other supplier. Any advice on good pads and a good source that ships to Austria would be greatly appreciated!

Dear @Mini_Me I have noticed I have two different type of W5500 which seem to be pulled from HP and DELL Workstations andthey have different BIOS numbers. The one which I sent you is pulled from Dell with BIOS Version: 017.002.000.000.013477 and I can also provide from HP with BIOS Version: 017.002.000.000.013687 if it is of any help. Both types give me identical numbers.

And for those interested in the W5500 consumption/performance I narrowed down the power-consumption on my test-rig by adding a second card to the external isolated HP-Server PSU mentioned in my post above. Now when I add the second card at idle it goes from 18W to 23W so it adds 5W of idle-draw. Then when I start TR and apply my undervolting profile on the two cards it goes from one at a total of avg 74W to avg 140W suggesting the second card is eating more juice. But still to get a solid 53 Mh/s for less than 140W and no latency tweaking is not so bad, averaging under 60W per card at-the-wall. WattMan is claiming 50W per-card

Oben Unten