Question AMD Radeon Pro W5700 for mining ethereum

nivrij

Mitglied
Bewertungspunkte
I am contemplating about buying this card because someone is offering this to me for a cheaper price here where I live. From my understanding, this card is just the "professional" / "workstation" equivalent of RX 5700 XT.

1609973853980.png

Any thoughts on this card? Has anyone here actually used this for mining? Does anyone know what the hashrate is? Can an unlocked BIOS be flashed on this GPU?

This helped, but I get the error with authentication signature. The force commands do not seem to help. They get me past the part number check but not the signature check. I did the unlock commands for the cards too.
I figured it out, downloaded the ATI tool from this site and it worked!!! Thanks everyone!

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Hi, I am not sure if we understand each other.

It is best for me to describe my situation. Recently I got two HP w5700 with 101 bios. I have done my standard procedure flashing the bios with my modified version based on Mini_Me 102 bios. But both cards got bricked. The standard procedure of shorting the bios 1 and 8 pins did not help. I have done this before (shorting pins to unbrick) so this is not my first time. What is new for me is flashing a card, which comes with 101 bios. I have repeated the shorting procedure like 10 times and still nothing. Both cards behave the same. Until I have accidentally shorted the pins 4 and 5 (the opposite diagonal) then bypassing the bios by shorting 1 and 8 works again. Both cards, the same situation. Right now, these two cards have been mining for a few days with original bios 101. Are you saying that you have successfully flashed your card that came with 101 bios with your modified bios? Because there are posts in this thread from people that have been forced to physically remove the bios chip from the card with 101 bios, which became bricked to flash it again in external programmator.
@Pingvin8206
I am in same BOAT. HP w5700 Card is bricked. Never did pin short. Can you please send picture of what pins to short and what order. Sorry there is just too many information out there and I read all 22 pages and you and @Beast819 are the only ones with HP cards. Also Beasts solution to solder is out of reach for me. Please help me get my card back to life. I have other cards that are working.

@Kanuki Can you try this card on a windows machine and check temps via hwinfo64. I think it could be overheating of VRM section or some other part.
Another reason that I don't think it's VRM overheating issue
is because the vRAM temperature.

If the VRM is overheating and not vRAM overheating then vRAM temperature
should be lower than all other card with that high fan speed.

Untitled.jpg

If the vRAM temperature is much lower than all of the other cards
but still fan is operating at high speed then it should be VRM overheating issue.

If you look the GPU temperature then you will understand what I'm talking about.

P.S. And it's not Junction temp either because I've already checked.
Core temp is 53c and Junction temp is 60c.

Another reason that I don't think it's VRM overheating issue
is because the vRAM temperature.

If the VRM is overheating and not vRAM overheating then vRAM temperature
should be lower than all other card with that high fan speed.

Anhang anzeigen 15229

If the vRAM temperature is much lower than all of the other cards
but still fan is operating at high speed then it should be VRM overheating issue.

If you look the GPU temperature then you will understand what I'm talking about.

P.S. And it's not Junction temp either because I've already checked.
Core temp is 53c and Junction temp is 60c.
W5700 has six or seven temperature sensors, I believe. You can see all the sensor readings with GPUZ in Win. One of the sensors must report abnormal temperatures and the fan will try to compensate it with faster spinning.

@Pingvin8206
I am in same BOAT. HP w5700 Card is bricked. Never did pin short. Can you please send picture of what pins to short and what order. Sorry there is just too many information out there and I read all 22 pages and you and @Beast819 are the only ones with HP cards. Also Beasts solution to solder is out of reach for me. Please help me get my card back to life. I have other cards that are working.

erase bios w5700.jpg

First things first. I will not take any responsibility for your outcome because what I will tell you is experimental in nature and you will be one of the few to try this procedure. All I can say is that it is working for me, the card is healthy and mining successfully with the original 101 bios. I will call the shorting 4 and 5 ERASE BIOS. Why erase bios? Because I believe some (or all) parameters in bios has been erased or maybe replaced with some other values. I think one of these parameters is the max GPU clock.

How do you tell that you have successfully erased the bios? You can tell by the fact that the GPU chip is much hotter now and you cannot hold the finger on not even for one second. So be careful and put some sort of cooling body on it as soon as possible. If your GPU got way hotter than before you are on the right path.

From there on the standard shorting 1 and 8 to bypass bios should work again. I have attached my son's drawing made after the procedure.

Anhang anzeigen 15230

First things first. I will not take any responsibility for your outcome because what I will tell you is experimental in nature and you will be one of the few to try this procedure. All I can say is that it is working for me, the card is healthy and mining successfully with the original 101 bios. I will call the shorting 4 and 5 ERASE BIOS. Why erase bios? Because I believe some (or all) parameters in bios has been erased or maybe replaced with some other values. I think one of these parameters is the max GPU clock.

How do you tell that you have successfully erased the bios? You can tell by the fact that the GPU chip is much hotter now and you cannot hold the finger on not even for one second. So be careful and put some sort of cooling body on it as soon as possible. If your GPU got way hotter than before you are on the right path.

From there on the standard shorting 1 and 8 to bypass bios should work again. I have attached my son's drawing made after the procedure.
Anhang anzeigen 15230

I believe he still have the question that

"what is the exactly procedure to replicate your recovery process?"

1) Short pin 4 and 5?

2) "Power On" or "DO NOT power on"?

3) Power Off (If the previous step is "Power On)"

4) Short pin 1 and 8

5) Power on

6) Start flashing original BIOS.

Oh yes, everything is done with power ON. I usually short the pins until I see the win login screen.

1. short 4,5
2. reboot
3. if GPU hot as hell then goto 5
4. if GPU normal temp. goto 1
5. place cooling solution on gpu, reboot
6. short 1,8
7. flash

Oh yes, everything is done with power ON. I usually short the pins until I see the win login screen.

1. short 4,5
2. reboot
3. if GPU hot as hell then goto 5
4. if GPU normal temp. goto 1
5. short 1,8
6. flash
Normally I will use amdvbflash efi boot because
it boot much faster so I have more time to flash back
the original BIOS before the card is overheated and shutdown.

You can release pin 1 and 8 after you hear "beep" and start to POST
or there is display output on your monitor.

(You must have buzzer connected to your motherboard and maybe need to
set your BIOS to beep when it start to POST.)

I don't have speaker in my workstation where I usually do this but I have suspected what you are saying but never tried because the "old" way works :) I am doing this via pcie riser with other working gpu plugged in directly into motherboard.

I am not familiar with amdvbflash efi boot. Where can I read more about this?

I don't have speaker in my workstation where I usually do this but I have suspected what you are saying but never tried because the "old" way works :) I am doing this via pcie riser with other working gpu plugged in directly into motherboard.

I am not familiar with amdvbflash efi boot. Where can I read more about this?
I don't remember where I downloaded it from
but you can download it my attachment.

Follow the readme.txt in the zip file and you will
need to set your BIOS to boot from the thumb drive.

Some of the command might not work in this version
but it's good enough to flash back your original ROM.

Anhänge

• atiflash_293_efi.zip
    1.006,1 KB · Aufrufe : 12
Anhang anzeigen 15230

Thank you. I would report back once I open up the card. It could be a day or two. Also once I recover the card, I believe we still have no path to get to 55 Hashrate. Not a deal breaker but I have 2 of these cards and would like the 10% bump.

I received the W5500 and it worked out of the box in Win 10 running Adrenalin 21.2.2 drivers using NiceHash with the Phoenix Miner plugin, I am getting an average of 25 MH/s using 85W of GPU power. Attached are screenshots and the stock vbios captured using ATI Flash 2.93 . Can you see if any improvements can be made with an unlocked vbios? Thanks!
was it possible to find an unlocked BIOS for w5500 cards? Share the results and settings for this type of cards, I would like to test and clean the unlocked BIOS and write a more optimal version based on it, as I did for w5700 cards

Ok No luck. I can get thru POST but it won't detect the GPU in windows to reflash it. What am I doing wrong? I shorted 4-5. small Sparks everytime I do it. I get the GPU hot almost to white smoke. Short 1-8 and get thru POST. GPU not detected in windows.

Ok. Spoke too soon. I rebooted and shorted pins 1-8 and it is detected. I reflashed it with orginal bios and everything is back to normal. I think the key is the cooling. I didn't had any cooling solution and so i guess the card kept shutting down. I put a fan next to it and luck was in my favor. Quickly flashed it and it is back to normal business. The only loss is a screw which I couldn't find. Rest all is back to normal. Now I need to get back to 50 Hashing. My friend @Pingvin8206 You are awesome. Never in my mind I would have rescued this card. This is the power of this platform.

0) Do not install your failed card just yet.
Install only one of your good card directly
on your motherboard.

1) Download 'atiflash_293_efi.zip' from my attachment.

2) Extract 'atiflash_293_efi.zip' to the root of your thumb drive.

3) Set BIOS to boot from your thumb drive.

4) Test boot from your thumb drive.

5) If successfully boot from thumb drive then go to next step.
If not then repeat step 1. You must did something wrong.

6) Install your faulty card on the riser but DO NOT power on just yet.

7) Find some fan to blow on the directly on your failed card
but leave some room for your to short the pins comfortably.

8) Power on and once it start to POST immediately short pin 4 and 5
and restart after short immediately. Don't need to wait
for the boot to complete.

9) Once it start to POST. Immediately short pin 1 and 8
and restart after short immediately. Don't need to wait
for the boot to complete.

10) Let it boot from thumb drive then quickly type
'amdvbflash -i' to check whether your failed card
can be detected or not.

11) If it can detect your failed card then go to next step.
If not power off then wait for a few minutes then repeat
Step 8.

12) If it can detect your failed card then quickly type.
'amdvbflash -unlockrom X'

13) Quick flash your original ROM using this command.
'amdvbflash -p -fs X ORIGINAL.ROM'

-fs might not work. If it really doesn't work then you can
remove -fs

14) If flash successfully then assembly back the cooler
then power on to test your failed card.

X = the number of order of your failed card that you see
when you type 'amdvbflash -i'.

ORIGINAL.ROM = the file of your original rom.

Anhänge

• atiflash_293_efi.zip
    1.006,1 KB · Aufrufe : 6
Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Ok. Spoke too soon. I rebooted and shorted pins 1-8 and it is detected. I reflashed it with orginal bios and everything is back to normal. I think the key is the cooling. I didn't had any cooling solution and so i guess the card kept shutting down. I put a fan next to it and luck was in my favor. Quickly flashed it and it is back to normal business. The only loss is a screw which I couldn't find. Rest all is back to normal. Now I need to get back to 50 Hashing. My friend @Pingvin8206 You are awesome. Never in my mind I would have rescued this card. This is the power of this platform.

That's why I recommended to use amdvbflash efi version
to boot to recover your card.

It boot much faster then you have more time to flash your original ROM.

You are a brave man to trust someone you don't know to do something few have done before ;)

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
That's why I recommended to use amdvbflash efi version
to boot to recover your card.

It boot much faster then you have more time to flash your original ROM.
Yes Sir. I see how timing is critical with this process. Got Lucky here with windows and made it back to 50 Hashrate. So happy to save my 700$ card. Still sad can't get any performance tuning done.

Yes Sir. I see how timing is critical with this process. Got Lucky here with windows and made it back to 50 Hashrate. So happy to save my 700$ card. Still sad can't get any performance tuning done.
Yup.. If you read the instruction that I wrote. You will notice that
I concentrate on timing to quickly boot and flash back the original ROM.

I messed around my 1st card trying to unlock my own unlock ROM
but no matter what I did always brick my card.

I shorted pins to recover my card almost 10 times with my 1st card.

Oben Unten