Question AMD Radeon Pro W5700 for mining ethereum

nivrij

Mitglied
Bewertungspunkte
I am contemplating about buying this card because someone is offering this to me for a cheaper price here where I live. From my understanding, this card is just the "professional" / "workstation" equivalent of RX 5700 XT.

1609973853980.png

Any thoughts on this card? Has anyone here actually used this for mining? Does anyone know what the hashrate is? Can an unlocked BIOS be flashed on this GPU?

I just realized my motherboard does not have a VGA output. It does, however, have a DVI out. I do not have a DVI cable on hand, or I must have misplaced it as I can't find one here at home. Will it matter if I try DVI? If not, I'll go out and buy one from the store.

I just realized my motherboard does not have a VGA output. It does, however, have a DVI out. I do not have a DVI cable on hand, or I must have misplaced it as I can't find one here at home. Will it matter if I try DVI? If not, I'll go out and buy one from the store.
Yes DVI is still good, If you can provide one please do.

By the way, does your motherboard have HDMI output as well?

By the way, does your motherboard have HDMI output as well?

Yes, it does have HDMI output and DisplayPort as well.

With the bricked W5700 Pro connected to any of the PCIE slots, and the motherboard configuration set to iGPU, the POST does not complete with or without a display connected (I've tried HDMI and DisplayPort so far) to the motherboard.

Yes, it does have HDMI output and DisplayPort as well.

With the bricked W5700 Pro connected to any of the PCIE slots, and the motherboard configuration set to iGPU, the POST does not complete with or without a display connected (I've tried HDMI and DisplayPort so far) to the motherboard.
Very well, let us try a DVI cable then, I am going to send you a couple of links for 2 people who had the same problem as yours however they fixed without shortening the vbios chip.

Please check the posts in the kindly attached link below,

Please check the posts in the kindly attached link below,

I will follow the instructions on these threads and then let you know if they work.

Update:

I read the instructions on the threads about the FreeDOS flashing and realized I don't have the needed hardware (yet).

I tried the card on another motherboard. It still wont boot with the card connected to PCIE via riser. Apparently, I don't have any other motherboards with VGA output + integrated graphics which I now see is the prerequisite for a (hopefully) successful boot with a bricked card connected.

I purchased a cheap motherboard and CPU online and am now waiting for them to ship out. I also just ordered a DVI-D cable and a DVI-D to VGA adaptor so I can try the DVI route as well.

I will update this thread once my packages arrive and when I am able to perform the suggested methods to recover the bricked card.

In my case i used a VGA cable only because HDMI didn't work with CSM video legacy enabled in my H410.
Your case may be different if you can boot in FREEDOS and get video on screen.
Don't worry, your GPU will be functional again.

In my case i used a VGA cable only because HDMI didn't work with CSM video legacy enabled in my H410.
Your case may be different if you can boot in FREEDOS and get video on screen.
Don't worry, your GPU will be functional again.

I cannot boot into FreeDOS and get video on screen via HDMI or DisplayPort connected to the mobo with the card connected via a riser to a PCIE slot.

I tried the method where you quickly plug the USB to the riser while the system is booting up. When I connect the USB too early, boot/POST fails. When too late, I get a display, boot into FreeDOS, try the command amdflash -i, but I get the Adapter not found error.

I cannot boot into FreeDOS and get video on screen via HDMI or DisplayPort connected to the mobo with the card connected via a riser to a PCIE slot.

I tried the method where you quickly plug the USB to the riser while the system is booting up. When I connect the USB too early, boot/POST fails. When too late, I get a display, boot into FreeDOS, try the command amdflash -i, but I get the Adapter not found error.
You need to do that a couple of times until it is a success like mentioned in the thread of the bricked Gigabyte RX 5700 XT GAMING card as it is a bit tricky, set the booting speed to normal and enable CSM Mode in the motherboard bios settings, then try to install HiveOS on a USB flash drive as MBR partition and try to reflash the card from there.

By the way, which pcie slot are you using to connect the riset to it, I believe it is better to use a pcie slot that does not share bandwidth with the pcie 1x16_1 in an attempt to avoid conflict with video output posting.

By the way, which pcie slot are you using to connect the riset to it, I believe it is better to use a pcie slot that does not share bandwidth with the pcie 1x16_1 in an attempt to avoid conflict with video output posting.

I have this motherboard:

1612312224878.png

Which slot do you suggest I connect the riser to?

Another update:

I devised a method derivative of what can be found here: https://www.overclock.net/attachments/ati_flash_recovery-pdf.15526/. I connected a working GPU to a PCIE slot, booted into FreeDOS and verified that the card was detected using amdflash -i. While the PC was on, I disconnected the USB from the riser card connected to the working GPU, and immediately connected it to the riser card connected to the bricked GPU. I then entered the amdflash -p command to attempt to flash the bricked card. Guess what happened. It still did not work. I was greeted with the Adapter not found ERROR 0FL01 message again. I thought I could trick the system into thinking it was still connected to the working GPU. It was worth a try though.

Now I'm at a loss. I'm now even starting to doubt that the VGA/DVI method would work.

I have this motherboard:

Anhang anzeigen 10762

Which slot do you suggest I connect the riser to?
Please set the following in the motherboard bios settings,

-Under Advanced menu,
~ Graphics Configuration, set,
Primary Display, Cpu Graphics,
CPU Graphics Multi-Monitor, Enabled,

- Under Boot menu,
~ Boot Configuration, set,
Fast Boot, Disabled,
USB Support, Full Intialization
Boot Logo Display, Disabled,
Post Delay Time, 10 seconds,
~CSM (Compatibility Support Module)
Launch CSM, Enabled,
Secure Boot, Other OS

-Under Advanced menu,

- Under Boot menu,
Fast Boot, Disabled,
Launch CSM, Enabled,
Secure Boot, Other OS
After that let us redo the steps in the provided 2 posts before,

By the way, first before doing anything please do clear the CMOS and update the motherboard bios to the latest version.

Regarding using cpu with the integrated gpu you need to connect the motherboard vga yo the display using standard vga cable and not HDMI cable.
it doesn't matter if it's VGA or HDMI as long as the port is on motherboard. iGPU can display through both ports.

@nivrij is CSM enabled on the board? if not enable that too.

-Under Advanced menu,

- Under Boot menu,
Fast Boot, Disabled,
Launch CSM, Enabled,
Secure Boot, Other OS

I installed the latest motherboard BIOS, reset the CMOS and saved all the motherboard settings you indicated (except "USB Support" as I could not find it).

I connected the bricked card via a riser to the black PCIe slot. I then again attempted the "technique" to plug the USB cable to the riser while the system was booting. I tried many times to vary my timings. There were just again two outcomes: (1) system won't boot, and (2) system boots into FreeDOS without detecting the card. I just cannot find that "perfect timing" (or does that even exist in my case?).

I'm starting to think that this workstation card is different from other cards that are relatively easy to unbrick as it has more security build into it, although I could be wrong.

I am left with three more options which I will explore as soon as I have the needed tools. I'll try an older motherboard with an old CPU. If that does not work, I'll try the BIOS chip shorting method, and if that fails too, I'll try a BIOS programmer.

But of course, if the good members of this forum have other techniques to suggest, I am more than happy to try them.

Oben Unten