Question AMD Radeon Pro W5700 for mining ethereum

nivrij

Mitglied
Bewertungspunkte
I am contemplating about buying this card because someone is offering this to me for a cheaper price here where I live. From my understanding, this card is just the "professional" / "workstation" equivalent of RX 5700 XT.

1609973853980.png

Any thoughts on this card? Has anyone here actually used this for mining? Does anyone know what the hashrate is? Can an unlocked BIOS be flashed on this GPU?

I just received a new card today. It comes with vBIOS rev104 and Micron RAM.
I tried to mod rev104 vBIOS myself but it bricked my card.

Only Mimi_Me's modded rev102 work fine with this card. However this card
is able to get 53.4MH/s and consume 106W which is worse than Samsung RAM
that can get 53.6MH/s and consume only 94W.

Does anyone have any experience with watercooling these cards for mining? Is it worth testing?

Not worth it. Replacing the original RAM thermal pads is good enough.
I replaced mine with ThermalRight one and the temp dropped from 82c
to 70c.

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Bewertungen: MfA
Update on my finding. I tried to increase memory clock a little bit
but it didn't provide harshrate improvement. It only increased
power consumption by 1-2W.

I tried to use MPT to lower down the memory clock to 1700MHz but
the memory clock still remain at 1800MHz.

Even though Memory Clock remain at 1800MHz but hashrate increased
from 53.4MH/s to 53.6MH/s while the power consumption remain the same
(around 106-107W).

I've also tried to increase GPU clock from 1229MHz to 1288MHz
which it also increased hashrate from 53.6MH/s to 55.3, power consumption
increased from 107W to 110W, and temp increased from 56C to 58C.

Efficiency also increased from 0.501MH/s to 0.503MH/s per watt.

I still have some thermalright pads, what thickness did you use?

Can you try to replace the GPU graphite thermal sheet with thermal paste
and plastic washer mod at the back of the GPU mounting bracket?

Please record down your temp before proceed.

Zuletzt bearbeitet :
Wow.. what is your rejection rate like?

My card is only stable at 53.6MH/s with 93W.
I also have had a W5700 card (samsung memory) that I couldn't get above 50MH/s using Mini_Me's 102 bios. I recently took the card apart and was shocked that one of the thermal pads looked like someone had gotten it from the dustbin. This was a brand new card. I replaced all the dram pads as well as the graphite thermal pad on the gpu, and now it's happily running at 55Mh/s at 91W, with about 10% lower temps than the other cards.

I also have had a W5700 card (samsung memory) that I couldn't get above 50MH/s using Mini_Me's 102 bios. I recently took the card apart and was shocked that one of the thermal pads looked like someone had gotten it from the dustbin. This was a brand new card. I replaced all the dram pads as well as the graphite thermal pad on the gpu, and now it's happily running at 55Mh/s at 91W, with about 10% lower temps than the other cards.

Did you replace graphite thermal pad with a new graphite thermal pad or thermal paste?

Did you have to use plastic washer mod?

Did you replace graphite thermal pad with a new graphite thermal pad or thermal paste?

Did you have to use plastic washer mod?
I had previously used IC Diamond 24 paste on another W5700 and it was fine, but I ran out of that and for this card I used another thermal paste and it did not work. The temp went very high, very quickly. When I took the heatsink off it was clear that contact was poor, so I used a 0.2mm graphite pad instead and that was fine. The IC Diamond 24 is a very thick paste so perhaps that is why it worked with the first card. The pads on the dram were 1mm thermal pads (gelid brand from amazon). I don't know what the washer mod is, so I guess I didn't do that.

I had previously used IC Diamond 24 paste on another W5700 and it was fine, but I ran out of that and for this card I used another thermal paste and it did not work. The temp went very high, very quickly. When I took the heatsink off it was clear that contact was poor, so I used a 0.2mm graphite pad instead and that was fine. The IC Diamond 24 is a very thick paste so perhaps that is why it worked with the first card. The pads on the dram were 1mm thermal pads (gelid brand from amazon). I don't know what the washer mod is, so I guess I didn't do that.

I used 1.5mm on vRAM and it work fine too.

If it is of any useful information to the community - the W5500 card is drawing a true at-the-wall consumption of a little under 60 Watts and reliably producing 25 Mh/s stock BIOS and 1030/870/1830

Good to know we can use 1.5mm pads.

These are the settings I'm using right now on HiveOS for cards with Samsung vRAM:
Anhang anzeigen 13127
Have you flashed the card with the recommended BIOS version 49?Did you change something in the settings of this BIOS during the firmware, or did you set all the settings specified in the screenshot in HiveOS after that? Tell us in more detail or post a screen in the settings of a particular Riga so that it is clear what and where changed, thank you in advance!

These are the settings I'm using right now on HiveOS for cards with Samsung vRAM:
Anhang anzeigen 13127

I just compared original vRAM thermal pad with my 1.0mm pad today.

I can confirm that the original thermal pad is not 1.0mm.

Original pad is clearly slightly thicker than my 1.0mm.

It's definitely 1.5mm. VRM pad is 1.0mm btw..

Hi.. Guys..

I would like to ask any of you guys using HiveOS to mine.

Can you use HiveOS to control Mem Clock?

One of my W5700 with Samsung GDDR6 is not able to run
at 900MHz(1800MHz). It will have very high rejection rate.

I can only use MSI Afterburner or AMD Radeon Software to
control GPU clock in Windows 10. Mem clock and power limit control
are not working.

The only way to control Mem clock is to use MPT to write SPPT
but it will somehow affect the performance. If I use MPT to write SPPT
then my hashrate will drop from 55.xMH/s to 53.7MH/s.

Have you flashed the card with the recommended BIOS version 49?Did you change something in the settings of this BIOS during the firmware, or did you set all the settings specified in the screenshot in HiveOS after that? Tell us in more detail or post a screen in the settings of a particular Riga so that it is clear what and where changed, thank you in advance!
I didn't do anything special. I started by flashing Mini_Me's 49 bios ("M.AMD.W5700.v49.rom") from this forum.

After flashing the card was still unstable and could not go above 50MH/s without getting loads of rejections, although the power use dropped a lot at 50Mh/s.

I then replaced the thermal pads on the card and that made all the difference. I think the default pads on the Samsung memory were not good enough in this case, but they seem fine for the cards with Micron memory.

No other tweaks have been done on the card, just the HiveOS settings I showed earlier.

There seems to be an element of silicon lottery. Some cards I have need a little bit more or less core or memory clock and I just adjust them individually, but for me the largest and most stable change came from the pads upgrade.

Anhang anzeigen 13127
I just modded my new card with Micron vRAM using 1.0mm thermal pads
and thermal paste with washer mod today.

Here are my finding.
- 1.0mm and 1.5mm pad performance are identical.
You can use 1.0mm or 1.5mm pad for vRAM.

- Replace GPU graphite thermal pad with thermal paste+washer mod
improve junction temp by 3c.

Hi.. Guys..

One of my W5700 with Samsung GDDR6 is not able to run
at 900MHz(1800MHz). It will have very high rejection rate.

I can only use MSI Afterburner or AMD Radeon Software to
control GPU clock in Windows 10. Mem clock and power limit control
are not working.

The only way to control Mem clock is to use MPT to write SPPT
but it will somehow affect the performance. If I use MPT to write SPPT
then my hashrate will drop from 55.xMH/s to 53.7MH/s.
Yes, you can with HiveOS. Here's a screenshot of all the settings it allows you to set, Mem clock is one of those:
1623094123861.png

Hi.. Guys..

Yes of course. HiveOS really is way superior for mining to Windows 10 in many ways. Well not so much HiveOS but Linux. But to directly answer your question yes you can. And it is very easy to try it out - just download HiveOS and write it to a USM memory-stick - boot off that. Running one rig is free.

Howdy Folks,

Thanks to all who posted all of this valuable information. Did anyone manage to get a Bios version working for v.108 for the W5700?

I got my hands on a few of them and just in the process of getting them going.

Thx,

John

Oben Unten