Question 5600XT BIOS flashed with mod from Red BIOS Editor, there is an issue

ricardo

Neuling
Bewertungspunkte
Hello and thank you for everything. Currently, I have a 5600XT in which I have flashed the modified bios by Red BIOS Editor. However, the BIOS did not work, the system hangs during POST. This is no problem, I am used to flashing BIOS with SPI Programmer CH341a, I am free to test anything.

I think maybe this did not work due to the fact that my card is dual BIOS, and when I read the BIOS from the memory chip, it comes out with 1024kb, rather than the 512kb saved from GPU-Z. When I try to open this extracted BIOS with RBE, it modifies fine, but does not save by stating "An unknown error occurred when accessing (filename path). This is not a permission issue, I am running admin. It works fine to save the file when I use the GPUz extracted rom. However, even with the 512KB file, it does not work to post the card.

I have tried several things, the last one was to make only a very small change on the GFX Maximum Clock to 1900MHz. It still does not work. I originally made a BIOS with a lot more changes and limits, such as 2100, 1000 memory, more power, voltage, etc, etc. but decided to make a small alteration to see if it would work-- unfortunately it doesn't.

I have also tried to open in HxD the original long file 1024kb and noticed it makes no difference, because after 000FFFF0 it is only 0's anyway. Also, in HxD, I have tried to open the original stock BIOS and overwrite the part, leaving the correct file size, but this also did not work to POST. Stock BIOS still works fine when re-flashed, card is perfect.

So, I am leaving a link to my files, to see if we can figure out why the modified BIOS is not working on my 5600XT.
Here is the URL: http://xonedigital.com/BIOS_etc.zip
on this ZIP file, there are the following:
1 - 5600xt1_gpuz.rom (Original BIOS from the card extracted with GPU-Z)
2 - 5600xt-stock_extract.rom (This is the BIOS file extracted from the Chip with SPI Programmer, it loads on RBE, but fails to save)
3 - mpt-1900_only.mpt (This is an example of a small change I tried to see if it would work, only changing maximum clock to 1900mhz)
4 - 1900-ONLY-BIOS1.rom (This is the final outcome of RED BIOS EDITOR using the GPU-Z BIOS with the MorePowerTool settings of 1900mhz)

I hope this helps, thank you so much for all your work again and let me know if anything else is needed. I am really looking forward to free up the power of this 5600XT :)

Thanks again!

Hi friends imposible flashing my shappire pulse 5600xt after editing the bios and flashing with Flash Tool 3.04+ Win the escreen is
completely black, I don't know if it's a problem with the flash utility, or the bios editor. Does anyone know when this error can be fixed?

no matter the flash tool I use, every time I do any change to a bios through RBE, I always get a black screen in boot, I think RBE is messing the GOP part of the bios, rendering it unbootable.

I tested flashing using regular winvbflash, It can flash the stock rom, In fact, it flashes any vendor's rom, but as soon as I try flashing a bios with the slightest modification (modified through RBE of course), winflash alerts me that there is a problem with the bios, and won't let me flash.

no matter the flash tool I use, every time I do any change to a bios through RBE, I always get a black screen in boot, I think RBE is messing the GOP part of the bios, rendering it unbootable.

I tested flashing using regular winvbflash, It can flash the stock rom, In fact, it flashes any vendor's rom, but as soon as I try flashing a bios with the slightest modification (modified through RBE of course), winflash alerts me that there is a problem with the bios, and won't let me flash.

hopefully they will fix it in newer versions of RBE

Hello all,

I'd like to add a bit more info to this thread. This is interesting to me. I have a Sapphire Pulse 5600XT. The same trouble occurs for me after flashing any modified BIOS - i.e. no POST / black screen. I can't get the the Windows/driver stage.

However, this does not seem to be RBE 'corrupting' the BIOS. Because, I then manually edited my BIOS through a hex editor, changing only minor aspects (such as GPU clock speed), then flashed it using amdvbflash 3.04, and the problem still occurs! The only difference I can see when changing clock speed through RBE, is a 1-byte additional change somewhere in the BIOS header (I assume this is some form of checksum?). In any case, I can't see how this is corruption by RBE.

The card seems to perform an integrity check itself, on power-up, and this fails when a BIOS is not stock. Perhaps some other area of the BIOS needs patching, which is specific to the 5600XT.

The amdvbflash.exe tool has never given me any errors (so I don't know why others are reporting this). It always flashes successfully, and I've always been able to revert back to my stock BIOS using it. The only problem I found is trying to cross-flash to another 5600 vendor's BIOS to achieve a higher TDP (XFX Thicc pro) but this is not possible as it requires the -f (force) switch, which is 'not available in the external flash tool'

As has been mentioned, it would be great to unlock the potential of this card, but I honestly don't know what needs changing. I don't know enough about this topic. There's some difference between 5600XT and 5700/XT - I guess AMD really did not want people to buy 5600's and turn them into 5700s!

Cheers (y)

Hello all,

I'd like to add a bit more info to this thread. This is interesting to me. I have a Sapphire Pulse 5600XT. The same trouble occurs for me after flashing any modified BIOS - i.e. no POST / black screen. I can't get the the Windows/driver stage.

However, this does not seem to be RBE 'corrupting' the BIOS. Because, I then manually edited my BIOS through a hex editor, changing only minor aspects (such as GPU clock speed), then flashed it using amdvbflash 3.04, and the problem still occurs! The only difference I can see when changing clock speed through RBE, is a 1-byte additional change somewhere in the BIOS header (I assume this is some form of checksum?). In any case, I can't see how this is corruption by RBE.

The card seems to perform an integrity check itself, on power-up, and this fails when a BIOS is not stock. Perhaps some other area of the BIOS needs patching, which is specific to the 5600XT.

The amdvbflash.exe tool has never given me any errors (so I don't know why others are reporting this). It always flashes successfully, and I've always been able to revert back to my stock BIOS using it. The only problem I found is trying to cross-flash to another 5600 vendor's BIOS to achieve a higher TDP (XFX Thicc pro) but this is not possible as it requires the -f (force) switch, which is 'not available in the external flash tool'

As has been mentioned, it would be great to unlock the potential of this card, but I honestly don't know what needs changing. I don't know enough about this topic. There's some difference between 5600XT and 5700/XT - I guess AMD really did not want people to buy 5600's and turn them into 5700s!

Cheers (y)

Surely you are right, for some reason you cannot flash properly, I have tried different brands, sapphire xfx, powercolor, and with none I have successfully flashed the bios of the 5600xt, the strange thing is that the problem has not yet been solved.

Is there a way to flash my XFX RX 5600 XT Thicc II 12gbps to 14gbps ? Can`t find any BIOS for 14Gbps version.

I don't know if there's a BIOS, but you can do it in software.

Use MSI Afterburner to set core clock = 1820 and memory clock to 1860 (effective 14,880), and power limit to +20. The sliders will max out at these anyway.

Then save it as a startup profile. Maybe adjust the fan curve to something more suitable too. That should work :)

EDIT: I 'think' Igor explained all this ^ in an article already.

I
I don't know if there's a BIOS, but you can do it in software.

Use MSI Afterburner to set core clock = 1820 and memory clock to 1860 (effective 14,880), and power limit to +20. The sliders will max out at these anyway.

Then save it as a startup profile. Maybe adjust the fan curve to something more suitable too. That should work :)

EDIT: I 'think' Igor explained all this ^ in an article already.
Thanks for the reply. I`v not manage to OC it before more than 1622MHz (i have 12Gb version) it starts from 1500MHz. But what i did now in "MorePowerTool" i cranked up the TDP to 200W and somehow i managed to OC the memory to 1750 (default 14gbps clock). Will try more just want to see if this one will stick. Does the TDP change work in SPPT anyway? I have been playing NFS:Heat for good 1hrs and there were no stutters or artifacts what so ever with these settings. Should mention i could not do this in newest official driver so i rolled back to 20.2.2 and voila, there we go. Stable, for now. :D
This is how i tweaked the card, it`s not dropping core clock below 1760 in game. Constant 1870 to 80MHz.
Out of curiosity, how great impact does the PSU have on this card or system in general? I have almost 6 years old Seasonic M12Evo 620W bronze, if i was to change it would i get something better OC results? Cause most of the times the card does not even show artifacts or anything it just turns the screen off and i must restart PC cause software or GPU bugged out.
Radeon.png

Hello all,

Cheers (y)

I noticed the same on the header. I have tried to modify it back to the original BIOS header, but still black screen.

I am flashing the BIOS with SPI Programmer, so I don't have a problem with any section of the memory not being written.

As for the Overclocking limits, especially on the memory side, Igor has already covered that due to part of memory controller disabled, Memory Frequency might be very limited regardless.

So far, what are the models that had successful edited BIOS working? I think only the Powercolor RX 5600 XT Red Dragon that Igor mentioned. If anyone has more successful models please let us know.

I was modded bios and flash to my Asrock 5600XT but driver show "Exclamation"
Rig: windows 10
Newest driver AMD
Modded by Red BIOS Editor
Any one help?

find out why we cant flash the bios using powercolors atiflash that works on 5600xt it gives me bios ceritifcate mismatch
so if the bios is not signed by amd it wont work
however with the atiflash you can use the -f option to flash a diferent card bios into it

Hello all,

Cheers (y)

if you use atiflash it wil give you bios signature error so there is a need for the bios to be signed

Hello. I just purchased an XFX rx5600xt thicc 3. Tried to use the bios from RedPanda's video (which was for an msi), and I got an SSID mismatched. Is there anything available for my particular card?

is it normal if I get "Read Rom Error" when trying to use 2.93+ but not when using 3.04+? (Sapphire Pulse 5600XT btw)

Oben Unten